Take heater out of Boler - Now what? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2003, 02:08 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Take heater out of Boler - Now what?

I own a 13 foot Boler trailer. It has the original heater in it -- potentially a dangerous thing. So it's got to go. The question is, what should we do with the extra space? I don't think we'll bother with putting in another heater - we don't need it. What would be a good way to use this space?

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 02:29 PM   #2

How about a 15 inch sub-woofer?

Old 03-31-2003, 04:49 PM   #3

Aaargh!

Not another "thumper" rattling my fillings, now following me into the woods!

Perhaps a built in wall safe. Maybe a wine storage rack. Maybe a boxing glove on a spring that pops out when a Nosey Nellie peeks into the outside door.

Old 03-31-2003, 04:56 PM   #4

Wow, this has real possibilities! Thanks for the :laugh, Steve!

Old 03-31-2003, 05:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Orginally posted by Michele Tuomi

I own a 13 foot Boler trailer. It has the original heater in it -- potentially a dangerous thing. So it's got to go. The question is, what should we do with the extra space? I don't think we'll bother with putting in another heater - we don't need it. What would be a good way to use this space?
well if you don't need it, I'll take it. the space that is not the heater. :lol I'm in the process of taking my heater out too. was yours rusted together. can't get mine to budge one little wiggle.

now as for a real thing to do with the space ? ? make a dogie bed in it. -or- slide an extra cooler in there. -or- carry those extra pair of shoes. see I have no problem with filling space.

Old 03-31-2003, 05:51 PM   #6

Stupidest thing we ever did...

...was taking out the heater.

We took it out cause of the age and the rust in it. Didn't think it would be safe. Now we totally regret it and wish we had taken it to be tested before we got silly and removed it. So now we will have the heater checked out and back in it will go, thats if its any good after all the banging and pulling it took to get it out. No Jana they don't come out easy.

At the time we thought we would never use it but because it does not require any power neither electric nor battery, we now realize we would use it often on chilly nights.
Hindsight is 20/20.
Nancy

Old 03-31-2003, 05:56 PM   #7

Hi Nancy
I have one of those heaters in my Boler.They are gravity feed.No Power required.They don't make them anymore.They work real good.If you don't want it send it to me.I will pay shipping.I will use for spare parts.
:)

Old 03-31-2003, 06:04 PM   #8

Hi Ches
No we want it. Just didn't realize that we did until after it was out. It will go back in unless it is no good but we won't worry about it this year as we will be on electric sites for a change.
Nancy

Old 03-31-2003, 07:50 PM   #9

Nancy
AWWWWWWWWWW Shucks:wave

Old 03-31-2003, 08:26 PM   #10

Sorry Ches
But if we do eventually get rid of it, its yours. Talk to Jana, she's getting rid of hers.
Nancy:sporty

Old 04-01-2003, 09:38 AM   #11

We were thinking of pulling it out and making a door and shelves...

Please be careful with these old heaters, there have been more than a couple people in the news each year that have died of carbon monoxide poisoning from thier 20 odd year old heater.

our heater is 29 or 30 years old.. Thats kinda scary to me. I think its time to get it out.

You are scaring me about the horrors of pulling it out. We haven't started.. We're just building a spring time to do list.

As a backgrounder we dont use this trailer for camping. We only use it for road trips, which are generally taken to warm places like florida and maybe texas this year.

Camping for us is loading up our backpacks and heading into the woods or loading up the jeep and driving even deeper.

Yes we're still young and dumb.

Old 04-01-2003, 10:02 AM   #12

Shelves and camping

Quote:
Orginally posted by Ryan Tuomi

We were thinking of pulling it out and making a door and shelves...
That's exactly what I was going to suggest. Good choice. ;)
Quote:
Camping for us is loading up our backpacks and heading into the woods or loading up the jeep and driving even deeper.

Yes we're still young and dumb.
Yes, you are young enough; no you are not dumb. I love to backpack...but I'm afraid those days are gone for me. Hurray for you!

Old 04-01-2003, 10:42 AM   #13

Thanks for all your replies. Extra storage space seems to be the order of the day, especially in a small 13 foot Boler! I wouldn't trust a 30 year old heater, so I wouldn't want to keep it. Which brings me to an interesting question: How many of you have carbon monoxide detectors in your trailers?

Old 04-01-2003, 10:50 AM   #14

Hi All
Because it is old does not mean that it is no good.Go to a furnace doctor and have a check up.I go to doctor and have checkups and as Michael says(I am Old As Dirt).

Send it to me if you don't want it.

Old 04-01-2003, 11:09 AM   #15

CO detector

Michele:

Quote:
How many of you have carbon monoxide detectors in your trailers?
It seems very few have added carbon monoxide detectors. Nobody seems to want to add em (on small trailers).

And it's apparently not a problem...... Well, nobody would be left to complain, would they. :o

Commonly found on motorhomes because it's some sort of requirement. I assume due to the engine exhaust being under the living area?!

Old 04-01-2003, 01:21 PM   #16

Hi all
Ches is right, just because the furnace is old doesn't mean they are no good or not safe. This we discovered after yanking ours out. Have it checked by a professional. Most parts can be replaced. The burner on ours was in horrible condition which was one of the reasons for its removal but you can buy new burners we discovered to late. *&%$# Hindsight!

As for storage, we have a 13' Trillium and have more than enough storage for all 4 of us. Years ago when first camping with kids we took just about the whole house with us. We look back and wonder how we ever managed to drag that poor tent-trailer down the road. Over the years we have weeded out most of the un-necessary things and if we don't take the canoe (life jackets) or tents we end up with the one back storage bin empty. Funny how we never miss all that stuff we used to think we needed.
Nancy

Old 04-02-2003, 12:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Orginally posted by Michele Tuomi
How many of you have carbon monoxide detectors in your trailers?
Hi...We didn`t use one last year but I bought a battery powered one to use this year.....I don`t like to use the propane for my fridge when we are sleeping mainly because I worry about the exhaust getting back into the trailer through th window in the area of the vent. Hopefully the detector will sense this exhaust and warn use....Wonder if anyone else has any ideas about this....Benny

Old 04-02-2003, 12:36 AM   #18

CO detector

I have the original WagonMaster furnace/heater in my 30 year old Boler. I had the gas valve replaced a few years ago at an RV establishment. I also have installed a propane gas detector mounted near floor level between the fridge and heater. I purchased a 9 volt Carbon Monoxide detector, which I use at home, but can also use in the trailer. The few times I left the CO detector overnight with the heater running, no evidence of CO. I was poisoned as a child from CO, and recall how sick I became and how glad I was to recover.

Rick

Old 04-02-2003, 07:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Orginally posted by Chester Taje

Hi All
Because it is old does not mean that it is no good.Go to a furnace doctor and have a check up.I go to doctor and have checkups and as Michael says(I am Old As Dirt).

Send it to me if you don't want it.
I'd send you mine, Ches, but it is HEA-VY. had to cut and bend the outside vent thingy to get it out. AFTER spending the afternoon trying to cut apart the vent pipes. with the only success with that being cut up hands, smashed finger, and a chewed up vent pipe I can pick up the heater so its probably under 50 , but I can't carry it very far so it must be close to 50. so the freight would be BAD. it's 2.5 ft deep too 1 ft wide and 1.5 high. (guessing here and I can't convert that)

Old 04-02-2003, 08:45 AM   #20

heater options

Hi. I just returned home with a new (used) Scamp 13 ft. 2002. This camper came without heat. We do like to have heat during the winter months as it does get chilly, especailly this winter. My last camping trip was in a tent camper using a Buddy Heater for heat. Has anyone ever used a Buddy Heater or Dyna-Glo? I would place it where the stove top would be, I don't have a stove! The little window could be opened for ventilation if need be, what would you do?

Tags
boler