Tanks on a 16' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #1

Name: George
Trailer: 1997 16' Scamp
Michigan
Tanks on a 16' Scamp

Hi,
My wife and I are the new owners of a 97 16' Standard Scamp. It is the side bath ( only porti-potty now) floor plan with the forward bunks or couch. I am now looking to install a toilet, plumbing and all tanks. I see Scamp sells the 12 gal water tank which mounts in the pass rear storage next to the power cord. What about the grey and black waste tanks. Looks to me like they need to be narrow and long to fit on the outside of the frame ( highest area of the under-body. Looking to install a 24" x 36" shower base and set the stool on it with the hopes of making the bath suitable for a rarely used sponge bath area. I am also considering an electric on-demand water heater under the sink (space saving). Any thoughts, advice or " what you did" would be appreciated.
We are looking to visit National and State Parks in the spring and fall. probably spend 2-6 wks in the trailer at a time. We are boaters and have spent 3 months a year over a 10 year period on a 37 foot sailboat with pretty sparse accommodations so we are accustomed to " making do ".

Thanks
George & Carol
varmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
George
Scamp sells a 26 gal. gray water tank for about $165 with plumbing. Shipping to Va. was about $85. Scamp uses the Sealand toilet (I think model 711) with its own holding tank above the floor.
The gray water tank fits between the frame rails under the dance floor. When ordering the tank you specify what trailer you have and if you have a shower drain. Even though the tanks are the same the input fittings are in different locations for the different models trailers.
The shower drain has a strainer and pump to get the water to the grey water tank. The older scamps used a gravity drain but there were issues when towing.
You can go with other wider/larger grey water tanks from other sources but you would have to cut out and re-weld supports under the rear dance floor.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
George, another alternative is to drive to Backus, MN and have them install the tanks. They are quick, have all the stuff and no shipping involved plus it's interesting to visit the factory.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp