Teardrop American - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #41

Name: Laura
Trailer: Teardrop American Outbacker
Utah
I finished a bunch of things; shelving, sink drainage, door & galley latches, etc. I talked about a lot of it here:

Pick Me! Teardrop American Outbacker Restoration: Galley Shelves, Sink Drainage and Camping

We also took it camping on its maiden voyage last weekend to Utah Lake. I talked about it here:

Starling Travel: Teardrop Camping at Utah Lake State Park

I ran into a SNAFU with the awnings because of the wind.

I guess I need to add some weights and a few more snaps!
Old 05-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #42

Trailer: 2004 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe and 2001 13 ft Casita Patriot Deluxe
Nice job Laura.

Here's our old "RIG"

It was a bit slow up 8 percent grades
Attached Thumbnails
Metro&Casita4.jpg  
Glen G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #43

Name: Laura
Trailer: Teardrop American Outbacker
Utah
Holy cow! That looks like it can barely pull your Casita!

We just took the teardrop up to Denver with the Prius and it handled the mountains just fine? No overheating or much of a slow down. Worked way better than I thought it would.

It also handled the 40 mph winds in KS just fine. I love this rig!
Attached Thumbnails
image-3885174022.jpg  
Old 05-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #44

Trailer: 2004 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe and 2001 13 ft Casita Patriot Deluxe
Considering it's a Chevy Metro with a 1 Liter 3 cylinder engine and 5 speed manual trans and only weighs 1750# its quit surprising how well it posses in front of the 3200# Casita
Attached Thumbnails
Metro&Casita4.jpg  
Glen G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #45

Name: Roger
Trailer: Trails West Campster andTeardrop American
California
Registry
Help with an Outbacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg M. View Post
Ok now that I have the hang of this I will continue. If you use your stove inside the back of the trailer as it looks like a previous poster is doing you will end up with a runny egg. The doors were a problem for Teardrop American from the start. Thay all leaked through the hinges and seals. We solved this problem with redesigned hinges and new softer gaskets. I don't have pics of this mod but I will take some tomarow. We replaced the stock door props with gass struts ( I highly recomend this mod if you value your fingers). Lots of thease had the same probem with the spring breakage and burn through the fender well issue. I patched mine with the same foam we injected under the floor . Basicly it squirted out of the fender damage (crack) when it hardened we sanded it smooth sealed it then painted it..... I have the better part of 500 hours into this thing to this point....."some projects are never done. We are going to the silver lake meet in April to dabut the "X POD" Hope to see some of you there..... If you need any more info or help gimmy a haller and i will se what I can do. Gregg PS: sory for the poor spelling .
Hi Gregg
You may have read elsewhere, that I have located a cabin, hatch and doors and NOTHING else. I think what I would like to by a stock trailer from Northern Tool or wherever. I have absolutelu no idea how the cabing mounts to a trailer. I have no measurements so I don't really know where to locate the axle. In fact, I don't even know whether to buy a 4' or 5' wide trailer! This is compounded by the fact that the pieces and parts are 800 miles away. My basic plan was to buy and assemble a trailer, relocate the axle if possible and go and get the other stuff. Once I get it home then I can restore it to usefullness. Can you help me with the crame details??

Thanks
Roger
rwilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #46

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilhelm View Post
Hi Gregg
.......Can you help me with the crame details??

Thanks
Roger
Gregg hasn't been logged in to FiberglassRV for a looong time: Last Activity: 04-18-2011 09:18 AM But, you can always hope he comes back!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #47

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Gregg hasn't been logged in to FiberglassRV for a looong time: Last Activity: 04-18-2011 09:18 AM But, you can always hope he comes back!
Thanks Donna. Guess I will have to get my info elsewhere.

Roger
Old 04-04-2018, 02:17 PM   #48

Name: Robert
Trailer: American Teardrop
OR
American Teardrop

I just picked up on of these gems.. I am in the process of restoring it.. Love all the pictures.. I read on some thread that someone bought a bunch of these in Washington.. Trying to find some parts.. The kickstand for one.. Any info would be great.
Robert Gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:57 PM   #49

California
Registry
Hi
Well, I've got some bad news for you. The company went bankrupt back in 89 or 90. The story goes that a couple of guys, only one of which I contacted had bought a lot of the left overs. The fellow I talked with bought the body parts. The other fella bought hardware, frames, metal pieces and stuff. The fella I talked to had enough body parts, door, hatch etc to build about 5 trailers. He built one on a customized snowmobile trailer and the rest was basically laying around the place. A couple of years ago, they had a BIG fire around the lake. His yard was on the lake. He had a jetski rental business, I think and ran a tow truck service. Apparently all of the body pieces wer destroyed in that wildfire. Now, I got all of this information about the fire second hand so I can't vouch for the accuracy. But, I have friends that live in the town by the lake and spared from the fire.
So, I think if you need plastic parts you probably out of luck. You will have to repair the old plastic pieces. Thank God for glue! My trailer didn't have the kickstand so I don't have any recommendations. Mine has a bolt on dolly thingie. Probably came from Harbor Freight. I spent quite a bit of time on the internet from which I down loaded a bunch of pics. And of course, I have pictures of my own.
So, if I can help in some way, just give me a shout.
Roger
Old 04-04-2018, 03:18 PM   #50

Name: Robert
Trailer: American Teardrop
OR
I knew they went belly up.. Thanks for the info on the parts.. I will just remove the kickstand and maybe some day try and fix it.. It has a lift with a wheel on it now that will work just fine. I am going to see it the windows can be redone.. Rubber has shrunk and one screen is bad. This weekend I am removing the doors and hinges.. Going to use a heat gun to restore the screw holes then fill with a compound and reattach. I have no keys for the latches and they need some attention, but I think they will be a easy fix..All and all mine is in pretty good shape. It now has new wheels and bearing buddies installed.. can't wait for summer and some good camping weather..Then to find a nice high elevation and set up my radio gear.. Ye Ha
Robert Gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:29 PM   #51

Name: James
Trailer: In the market trying to decide.
AL
Not much help but here is one for sale along with Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Paschink View Post
Just picked-up this old "Teardrop American" Outbacker camper. Attempting to restore it and would appreciate any information anyone might have. I've looked on-line and can't seem to find anything - I've seen one sold on EBay, and another one for sale on-line in San Francisco. The SanFran guy was asking $6000.00, but I find it hard to believe anyone would pay that much! Anyway, I'm not sure if this thing is fiberglass or plastic - but it needs some work and I'm glad I found this forum.
I cannot help with that but I see a similar one for sale along with a Scion XB the guy had a Brain Tumor and wants to sell both. Not a lot of pictures but will post the link if that is legal. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1896...10155758219465
cptnjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 03:41 PM   #52

Name: jeff
Trailer: sprinter
Florida
I acquired a really nice all original one of these with no damage and no wheel well wear. was going to restore it but now have found another very rare "tent based" vintage trailer from the 60s and would consider selling this one to someone to help finance my resto of the De Mar trailer.
I am kinda new here but not new to camping and RVs my user name is the same on the VW site THE SAMBA if anyone wants to look me up
weisswurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:06 PM   #53

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisswurst View Post
I acquired a really nice all original one of these with no damage and no wheel well wear. was going to restore it but now have found another very rare "tent based" vintage trailer from the 60s and would consider selling this one to someone to help finance my resto of the De Mar trailer.
I am kinda new here but not new to camping and RVs my user name is the same on the VW site THE SAMBA if anyone wants to look me up
I too, am looking to sell. I have a71 Campster that is my camper. So, the teardrop is surplus. Maybe if you find a buyer, they might like a twofer.
Thanks
Roger
Old 09-29-2020, 10:01 PM   #54

Name: Samantha
Trailer: American outbacker
AB
Latches and struts

Hey there. Just purchased one of these and am excited to get him up and going. The latches we have in the camper at the moment don't work and I was wondering if you could explain what you've done with yours. Same for holding the doors open if you don't mind... I'm not very good at these types of things so looking for some inspiration.

Thanks in advance
Sam g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:56 AM   #55

California
Registry
Well, actually haven't done anything to mine and would love to sell it. Got too old too soon and bought a wee bit ****** trailer. That said, I dis, do, have some ideas. My trailer has a lot of mounting screws for doors and hatch, that are loose or missing. The hatch n doors are double walled, so that sheet rock screw anchors or moly bolts should work just fine. The body and panels are plastic and should be able to be glued. I think plastic welding might also work, but I'm not sure I've got guts to try it. The PO used the ice box on the right side of the galley to house a battery. The result was some cracking. I suggest a MUCH lighter battery or perhaps none at all. Makes a good storage spot. Mine is missing the self contained sink on the left side. I think these are not worth messing with. More storage. I didnt do any design work, but you may be able to build a fold out table etc, for alittle extra work space, meal prep stove etc.
Inside there is a channel about 4 inches deep. This surrounds the frame. Underneath there are straps in the front to secure the body to the frame. The body itself can be removed and chassis used for light weight utility trailer use.
The channel around the "island" can be used for storage. Storage boxes could do double duty to store items as well as support a base for a bed.
Though I've heard rumors, otherwise, if you are missing hinges and supports, I think you could find or make them with goodies from Home Depot or other store. Gaskets should be available from that source or local auto store.
Last but not least, the body is plastic and should be able to be painted with plastic compatible paint. Because its small, I wouldnt hesitate to use a good paint in a spray can. The trailer has molded ribs in the roof and a belt line so 2 or 3 tone paint job could spruce it up.
If I can with other ideas, well, here I be.
Happy trails
Old 02-04-2024, 06:40 PM   #56

Name: Brian
Trailer: American Outbacker
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Paschink View Post
Well, I do know for sure that this a 1989 vintage. The maufacturer was "Teardrop American Inc." 380 E. Penny Road, Wenatchee, WA. The whole camper weighs in at about 400 lbs. and is 9.5'(l)x7.5'(w)x5'(h). Two adults would fit comfortably but I think it could manage myself and my two kids (ages 6 & 4). I'm really planning on using it for solo trips... my wife doesn't know that part yet!

The previous owners hadn't noticed that one of the springs had gone - resulting in one tire actually wearing through the shell wheel well. It's not a huge issue, I can fix it with a fiberglass patch. I also want to extend the tongue and install a large storage box of some kind on the front. I'd like to replace the wheels with something larger and nicer looking. All of the rubber molding needs replacing as do the door handles, locks and wiring. The hinges don't appear to have rusted BUT the screws they used to attached them have... like to redo these with stainless. Right now, if it rains, the back galley area fills with water. There is no stove or icebox, but there is an interesting double wall removable plastic sink. You fill the inside of the double wall with clean water, and use a hand pump to get it out.... kinda hard to describe - I'll post some pics later.

One of the selling features of this camper was that the "pod" is removable should you want to use the trailer for moving stuff - the pod itself weighs about 225 lbs.

Right now, I've got the pod off and the trailer taken apart in my garage. Hoping to have it ready for spring.
I'm lookking to remove the pod on my Outbacker but can't find any connections inside or underneath. As you have removed yours, could you please give me some insights on where they are.
Thanks
Brian
Brianthepiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 05:48 PM   #57

Trailer: 84 Burro 13 ft
Brian, As I recall there are four bolts holding the pod to the trailer. On mine they were located on either side of the bed platform. Other parts are available thru do it yourself teardrop vendors.
Rusty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 06:25 PM   #58

Name: Brian
Trailer: American Outbacker
British Columbia
Bolt location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty01 View Post
Brian, As I recall there are four bolts holding the pod to the trailer. On mine they were located on either side of the bed platform. Other parts are available thru do it yourself teardrop vendors.
Thanks Rusty. They're not visible yet but I know they are there. 😊
Brianthepiper is offline   Reply With Quote