Television mount - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2010, 02:18 PM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Television mount

Being a new fiberglass owner I'm not sure the best way to mount a television either under or to a cabinet wall. What have others done and does one have to add support behind wall where the tv stand is mounted? I'm trying to determine if the drop down vs pull out type of cantilever is best. Any suggestions and ideas where to buy? Thanks
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Funny I went through the same decision making 2 months ago. If you have a cabinet wall to go up against then that would be great but I would put something in behind it to give it more support. I did not have a cabinet wall big enough for mine to go up against and I did not want to mount it to the outside of the trailer as that would mean drilling holes through the fiberglass so I got one that goes under my back cabinet - heres what I got and where from: PDR Under-Cabinet Mount with Quick Bayonet Release for TVs up to 20 Inches UCMM50

Works well for me as I leave it attached to the TV and just take it down and lay the TV on the bed while traveling. The only thing visable when it is down is the metal plate that is attached to the underside of the cabinet that it all attaches to.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:33 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
I really like Carol's mount because you can pull the television easily. But if you're looking for something that folds away, or if you need any generic HDMI cables connectors or switches, check out http://www.Monoprice.com .

This folding undercabinet mount could find some uses in an RV, I'd imagine: 20lb weight limit

For only $8.25 each when QTY 50+ purchased - LCD Cabinet Mount Bracket - Black | Ceiling / Under Cabinet Mounts for Flat Panel Displays
Old 10-14-2010, 06:14 PM   #4

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
Here is mine mounted to the cabinet on my CT, I did use the universal brackets (I didn't need them for my 22" TV) that came with the mount to reinforce and spread the load on the inside of the cabinet wall. This mount was $18 from Sams Club online and is a great bargain, you can also buy additional wall mounts and it can be quick detached and slid on the additional mounts.

Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:31 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in SV View Post
I really like Carol's mount because you can pull the television easily. But if you're looking for something that folds away,
Actually the neat thing about the one I used is that it does also fold up under with the TV attached providing your TV is not bigger than the cabinet you are folding it up under (which in my case it is).
Old 10-27-2010, 08:25 PM   #6

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Carol, do you have any pictures of how you have it with your TV mounted? I have a 13' and a 19" TV. There is a reading light under both ends of my cabinet, but one could easily be removed. Is there enough room to turn the TV? Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Alice

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Being a new fiberglass owner I'm not sure the best way to mount a television either under or to a cabinet wall. What have others done and does one have to add support behind wall where the tv stand is mounted? I'm trying to determine if the drop down vs pull out type of cantilever is best. Any suggestions and ideas where to buy? Thanks
here's our Television mount, made from an old speaker stand....
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0103.JPG   Pic015.JPG  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Here it is open...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0099.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:26 PM   #9

Utah
Registry
Ingenius Floyd. I like the wood interior. Makes it much easier for doing updates too. I'm not that creative though. Hope to find something like Carol's mount, and see how people have their TV's mounted in a little 13'. It's like buying a new home, lots of little things to do.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:09 PM   #10

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
IMHO: Carol has one of the slickest RV/TV mounts I've ever seen....
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:01 AM   #11

Utah
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Mager View Post
Yes Doug it certainly is. I hope she will post some pictures. I'm looking for ideas as to WHERE and HOW to put the TV in my little 13'.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:57 PM   #12

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
My wife would KILL me if I even suggested putting a TV in the Scamp. Maybe if we were fulltiming...

I take my iPad with me, though. As long as there is a decent cellular signal, I can stream Netflix movies or watch any of the movies I have saved on the iPad. I can also surf the web, check my email, play games, etc. In fact, most of the time that I am posting on here, it is from my iPad. Maybe she'll let me put an iPad mount in the Scamp... I doubt it, though.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:00 PM   #13

Registry
Heres a couple of photos. One with a 19" TV mounted and the other with the TV off the mount. I have been using it and it is real simple to take down and put back up. I put a push on adapter onto the cable connection at the back of the TV so I don't need to screw it on and off - just a simple push or pull to disconnect. I used an HDMI cable thats also push on and pull to disconnect - like it as it means only one connection wire needed to the DVD which is in the overhead bin. Those along with the power cable which is also push and pull all go neatly back up and out of the way in the overhead bin when the TV is not mounted.

I mounted it as far back in the corned as I could but It still has about 4-5" to swing either way.
Attached Thumbnails
09-10-10 20_34_DSC0109small.jpg   09-07-10 20_48_DSC0079small.jpg  

Old 10-28-2010, 03:10 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Mager View Post
Thanks Doug. You will be pleased to know that not only does it look good it now actually works! Managed to watch a number of chick flicks at the last rainy all women fiberglass camp out. It wasn't the outside cable that you suspected it was one of the internal connections that runs to the outside cable box I put in. I had made the cable from scratch and had not put the connection ends on correctly so remade them and alls good!
Old 10-28-2010, 03:28 PM   #15

Utah
Registry
Right now, I listen to books on tape from the library on my Ipod. It's fine, but doesn't have a sleep timer. On rainy days, it would be nice to watch a DVD. Otherwise, I'd be in the stores for retail therapy. Not a good idea for me.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
My wife would KILL me if I even suggested putting a TV in the Scamp. Maybe if we were fulltiming...

I take my iPad with me, though. As long as there is a decent cellular signal, I can stream Netflix movies or watch any of the movies I have saved on the iPad. I can also surf the web, check my email, play games, etc. In fact, most of the time that I am posting on here, it is from my iPad. Maybe she'll let me put an iPad mount in the Scamp... I doubt it, though.
Hehe the funny part of this is that when I got the Scamp it had an antenna mount on the roof. I took it off and filled the hole with a Fantastic fan, as I was never going to have a TV. Totally out of the question! Often where I camp in mountain areas there is not any cell coverage and I am often across the border so if i surf while roaming in the US I pay dearly. Did in the past use the laptop for watching movies but found I was always looking for a safe place to sit it and moving it around if more than one person trying to watch it. The tv came to me brand new for next to nothing and its to small for the house use so it needed a home.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:15 PM   #17

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Good news Carol, keep up the Good Work, eh??? That install looks good enough to be professional to me.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:32 PM   #18

Utah
Registry
Carol, thanks for the reply and pictures. I'm sold and have ordered one. They may be a little pricey, but looks sturdy. I'll post pix when i get it geared up. Thanks again.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:42 PM   #19

Registry
Just dont travel with it in place!
Old 10-31-2010, 06:23 PM   #20

Trailer: 1981 Boler 13 ft / 2005 Dodge Caravan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Funny I went through the same decision making 2 months ago. If you have a cabinet wall to go up against then that would be great but I would put something in behind it to give it more support. I did not have a cabinet wall big enough for mine to go up against and I did not want to mount it to the outside of the trailer as that would mean drilling holes through the fiberglass so I got one that goes under my back cabinet - heres what I got and where from: PDR Under-Cabinet Mount with Quick Bayonet Release for TVs up to 20 Inches UCMM50

Works well for me as I leave it attached to the TV and just take it down and lay the TV on the bed while traveling. The only thing visable when it is down is the metal plate that is attached to the underside of the cabinet that it all attaches to.
After previously reading about your install and seeing the pictures I decieded this is exactly what I wanted.Hopefully it will arrive sometime next week.I plan to install under the back upper cabinet.I was wondering if you put a wood support in the cabinet to attach the mount to?Pat.
Pat C is offline   Reply With Quote