temporary paint - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #1

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
temporary paint

We still have a way to go to get our LB ready but Ii always try to look ahead. We have patched quite allot of rivet holes so the shell looks like it has a disease. It was painted by a PO with house paint. We sanded that off only where we did the shell repairs.

Because of the unexpected expense of our "repairs" we wont be painting for a year or so. For now we would like to paint some sort of design to camouflage the spots but don't want to make "lots" more work for when we do start prepping for new paint in the future. I thought about acrylic craft paint with a shot of clear coat on top to seal it in. This is only temporary so cost is an issue.

Anybody have a suggestion as to what type of paint will cause us the least problems in the future.

Thanks in advance,

Cathy
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:56 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Sounds like an opportunity for a "Flower Power" redeaux, with lots of decals all over.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm thinking the same as Bob. The problem, is different paint types don't play well together. I'd rather use a decal eraser and remove the decals just before final paint, than worry about problems with different paints. YMMV

How about some "bullet" holes
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Lacquer! It cures much faster than enamel. You can spray enamel over lacquer but not vice versa. Do not use primer unless you are going to seal it with something. Primer is designed to absorb that's why you see all these cars with primer spots that are rusting out. They would be better off leaving the bare metal.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #5

Florida
Registry
Definitely planing to do a 70's theme. Want to put some big flowers, stickers wont do what I want and would like to save the expense. I am artist but no experience with painting fiberglass. I mostly work in acrylics that is why it was my first thought. With a shot of polyurethane to keep it on. Waiting for nice paint job to sand the whole thing. I hate to think of trying to paint with lacquer, or enamel but don't want to make things complicated when it is time to paint "for real.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
If it is only going to be a year or so, I would not bother. Whatever you do now, may cause problems in the future when you are ready to do a final coat. If the appearance really bothers you, buy a cheap tire cover for the spare and have Work in Progress printed on it.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #7

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Hopefully you're sanding it down when you repaint for good anyway, especially with house paint on it, right?

Therefore, I say slap some more house paint on it for now, and move on. Sanding is sanding, it doesn't make (much of) a difference what paint you put on now.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:17 AM   #8

Florida
Registry
Will have to sand the whole thing before we repaint for good. I think that I will go this route. Really don't want to drive around with little "scabs". It might scare my grandchildren!

Thanks to all,

Cathy
Old 11-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #9

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Cathy, Do what makes you happy!
Here's a couple of pic's that might help give you ideas for a temporary fix. Your artistic, you should just paint flowers over the "scabs" .......

Sorry the second pic is so tiny, got it off a Glamping group on FB and whoever posted it, posted a lil tiny pic. But inspiration none the less........
Attached Thumbnails
flower power scamp.jpg  
Attached Images

Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Love the handprints on the front of the Scamp!!!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #11

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I'm with the "decals" crowd- much easier to remove than any kind of paint/overall finish.

As to theme: Since it's temporary, why not throw caution to the wind and point that out!

How about a bunch of these:
Giant Band Aid Bandage decal | band-aid sticker
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #12

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat futrell View Post
Anybody have a suggestion as to what type of paint will cause us the least problems in the future.

Thanks in advance,

Cathy
What Roy in TO said.

Then just paint the wheels and dress them up if you want (trim rings - hub-caps) and dress the tires. Wheels are the focal point of any vehicle.

Do the best paint job as you want on the trailer when you are ready.
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:09 AM   #13

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
light and soul boler on Vimeo#
Here's another cool paint option.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint