The beauty of Velcro walls... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2007, 06:54 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
The black furry walls didn't seem so great at first, but recently I got some Velcro (heavy duty) disks and stuck just the loop side to a few LED lights. I put them up on the walls before our trip this past weekend and they stayed up while traveling. Then when we got there I put the remaining two disks on a glasses case and a thermometer and stuck those on the walls. The glasses case holds my glasses at night, and the thermometer was half of a remote combo so I could keep an eye on temps in and out. These things really work great! I do not know what the black fabric really is but whatever it really is, it acts exactly like the fuzzy part of Velcro. The only drawback is that it covers only the walls and front of the bed, plus the roof, but not the bulkheads.

What should I stick up next?

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:15 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Velcro® is an example of a hook & loop fastener. As I understand this stuff, the "fuzzy" side is the loops, while the "scratchy" side is the hooks... I assume the walls resemble the loops and Bobbie is using the hook side on the lights, et cetera.

This sounds like a really interesting system! My only concern would be that the loop side of hook & loop fasteners gets a bit torn up with repeated use, getting "fuzzier" looking and less effective. I wouldn't want to move things around too much.

For other stuff to stick up, I can only think of one offhand: a facial tissue box
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:51 PM   #3

Registry
Quote:
Velcro® is an example of a hook & loop fastener. As I understand this stuff, the "fuzzy" side is the loops, while the "scratchy" side is the hooks... I assume the walls resemble the loops and Bobbie is using the hook side on the lights, et cetera.

This sounds like a really interesting system! My only concern would be that the loop side of hook & loop fasteners gets a bit torn up with repeated use, getting "fuzzier" looking and less effective. I wouldn't want to move things around too much.

For other stuff to stick up, I can only think of one offhand: a facial tissue box
Oh, that's a good idea. I need to find some bigger strips of hook Velcro, though. And yes, what I have is a black material that exactly resembles the fuzzy side of Velcro, and I just used the hook half of some Velcro that I purchased. The weak point in the system at this time appears to be the attachment of the Velcro to the object to be placed on the wall. I used something called industrial strength Velcro with an adhesive backing that I got at the hardware store.

I know I'm probably the only one with Velcro walls- but its still a nifty modification!

Bobbie
Old 11-25-2007, 08:21 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984
Have seen someone that used the hook portion directly on the rat fur interior. They hung pictures all over and anywhere in the trailer this way. No holes, and interchangable. Also had a miniature quilt hung up this way. Just think of the posibilities. Pictures, posters, kids art work.To remodel you just pull it down and stick up the new. Wouldn't handle anything too heavy o' course.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:14 PM   #5

Trailer: 1970 Campster
My brother has rat fur on the inside of his truck shell. My mom made him some heavy blockout-insultation curtains and hung them inside the shell with velcro. They work great! He also uses LED dot lights inside the shell so he can read at night. How about hanging a light weight spice rack?
Lisa H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:28 PM   #6

Registry
I thought about curtains but don't really need blackouts. I think I'll put tie backs, though. I like to drive with the curtains tied back so I can see through the trailer.

The part with the fur isn't too convenient to the kitchen and is accessible by the dogs, so that rules out anything resembling food (Kleenex may even be a stretch, lol.) I like the quilt idea, though. And pictures would help brighten it up- maybe pictures on fabric.

Bobbie
Old 11-29-2007, 06:41 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
And pictures would help brighten it up- maybe pictures on fabric.
I can't believe I'm suggesting this, but perhaps the scenic printed panels sold by the fabric shops which my wife drags me through would work well for this... just finish the edges, attach the Velcro, and stick 'em up. Some patterns have small images in a repeating pattern, and individual images could form small accent decorations.

With black walls, I would want the brightening.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote