Tile BackSplash - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #1

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Tile BackSplash

Well my ParkLiner like most egg's has the ratfur behind the galley. So far I have only made coffee in mine, but lets face it...eventually I will end up cooking in it and the last thing I want is to get splatters on the ratfur.

The first thing I did was unscrew the trim ring for the window. Mine was 12 screws, put them aside then measured the whole thing. 35.5" by 14.5" and went off to Home Depot.

I picked this up to be the backerboard for the tile. 5.0 mm x 2 ft. x 4 ft. Moisture Resistant Underlayment Handy Panel-1507142 at The Home Depot

I bought 4 pieces of tile, figured I would need 3...actually I had enough to do i with 2 12"x12" mesh backed glass tiles...cut and fit. For $4.99 each I wasn't really careing that much...so I have spares lol. MS International Spring Leaf 1 in. x 1 in. Glass Wall Tile-THDWG-CR-SL-4MM at The Home Depot

The peel off tile adhesive was the most expensive lol Custom Building Products SimpleMat Tile Setting Mat-SM10R1 at The Home Depot

Grout Custom Building Products #381 Bright White 1 qt. Premixed Grout-PMG381QT at The Home Depot

The peel off adhesive is real easy to use, just following the instructions I just worked it down onto the board with backside of a thick sharpie marker to make sure it was really sticking to the luan backerboard. Then started measureing and cutting the webbing on the tiles to fit, peeled off the top piece of plastic on the adhesive (its like double sided tape with a plastic/waxpaper on each side. I cut a few individual tiles and went outside and used pliers and broke a few tiles to try to get them to fit on the oval hole where the window trim piece goes... just to make it look a little more professional.

The grouting is pretty simple. Use a scraper, scoop some grout onto the tile and use the scraper to drag it around to fill in between the tiles. took me maybe 5 minutes to grout such a small area. Then I got a bucket and sacrificed the old kitchen sponge and carefully wiped the tiles down to get most of the grout off the tops of them... then switched to a wrung out papertowels... once it looked fairly clean left it alone till the next day when it was dry.

I again used a wet wrung out papertowel to clean off any "haze" left on the tiles. Drove over to my parents house to install it. Had to scrape some dried grout off of 2 spots when I couldn't get the board inplace but wasn't a big deal. Im really happy with the difference before and after. I did think about going with a wilde colour tiles but then decided the light colour does match the wood work and will keep the cabin feeling a little larger.

deryk
Attached Thumbnails
38.jpg   LED Candles Tile Backsplash.jpg  

tiles.jpg   adhesive.jpg  

deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #2

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Beautiful job! The difference is amazing. All my peeps say WOW, that's cool!
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #3

New Jersey
Registry
Thanks! Im real happy with the way it came out...adds a little colour and protection to the wall and is really a pretty simple mod. About $55 (would have been $10 less if I didn't toss the packaging for the 2 other tiles I havent used yet...might do another small piece of the wall behind the fire extinguisher.)

deryk
Old 03-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #4

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 19
Ontario
Yup, excellent job Deryk!
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #5

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Looks awesome Deryk. I wouldn't want fabric behind my stove either. Did you have to cut individual tiles or was the trim wide enough to cover the edges?

I'll second the use of the peel off adhesive. I did the backsplash in my home with it. For a small job the extra cost was minimal and well worth the ease of use and clean up.
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #6

New Jersey
Registry
Mark, I did have to "reshape" a few tiles to try to make it look better. Just broke them with a pair of plyers and stuck them down on the adhesive. Once the curtain is up the few little boo-boo's wont even be noticed.

Real easy mod to add some more charm to our beloved caravan's!

deryk
Old 03-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Your glamping now Deryk!! Looks great. If you havent already I highly recommend putting a couple of coats of a *good* sealer on the grout. Trust me white grout has a way of attracting anything that stains. LOL

How did you attach the backer board? did you cut out the rat fur in the area behind it first to keep the wall thickness down?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #8

New Jersey
Registry
Yeah, Im gonna have to get a grout sealer. No I put the backerboard over the ratfur... just in case at some point I decide to change it...So I lose a 1/4" of space lol. Figure Im not gonna make too many permanent changes. But I doubt if someday I sold my ParkLiner that anyone would say "eww tile behind the stove" lol

deryk
Old 03-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
No I put the backerboard over the ratfur... just in case at some point I decide to change it...So I lose a 1/4" of space lol.
deryk
How did you secure it over the rat fur? Was the window frame thick enough to go back on securely over the rat fur and the backerboard or did you have do some fiddling with that?
Old 03-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #10

New Jersey
Registry
I ended up flipping the trim ring around the opposite way and screwed it in...I might add a piece of wood at the top and bottom and each side to strengthen it, but its wedged in there pretty tight. I just tiled another peice if wood to go where the fire extinguisher is so that will press against the back splash and be screwed into the wall... should be fine (finger's crossed)

deryk
Old 03-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #11

Name: Carol
Trailer: Undecided
Illinois
Deryk, thanks for giving so many great ideas for sprucing up and improving the little Park Liner! The tile looks great!
Carol in Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #12

New Jersey
Registry
ok, the side piece...took measurements and trimmed the board till it fit. Put the adhesive down, cut the tiles to hopefully fit...stuck them down. Will need a piece of trim because the edge will be seen. I put the 2 screws in place where the fire extinguisher will hang...then grouted it. Waiting for it to dry.

deryk
Attached Thumbnails
board.jpg   boardadhes.jpg  

tileddown.jpg   tiledown.jpg  

Old 03-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #13

New Jersey
Registry
Thanks Carol! Especially since I lost my home (sailboat) from Hurracaine Sandy... the ParkLiner is my "mobile home lol" I want to make it all comfortable and cool looking inside.

deryk
Old 03-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
I ended up flipping the trim ring around the opposite way and screwed it in...
For windows that are still in production (or are at least compatible with current production retaining rings), these rings are available in various depths to suit various wall thicknesses. If flipping it over doesn't work in a happy coincidence as it did for Deryk, it might be possible to buy the required depth.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #15

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Amazing upgrade. Job well done! I'll soon attempt my backsplash. Going with a stainless steel piece. Not as Glampy as your, but at least it will help with the splatters. I'm a messy cook!
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
In my Escape 17B the stove top has a cover. When the cover is open for cooking, it's a backsplash.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #17

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I like that.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #18

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
This is exactly what we were thinking of doing. Now we know it' do-able!
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #19

New Jersey
Registry
Trim still needs to be varnished and nailed in place... will do that next friday morning before going camping if their is no snow in the forcast. I do have to say I really like the way it came out!

Total cost is about $60 for the project, and maybe 2 hours of time more or less.
Attached Thumbnails
TilingDone.jpg  

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 03-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #20

Registry
Looks awesome Deryk. Like how you did it around the corner. Looks very finished.

Tags
parkliner