To Replace Or To Not Replace??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2011, 12:04 PM   #1

Name: Susan
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Pennsylvania
Registry
To Replace Or To Not Replace???

That is the question...

I'm getting my Trillium ready to sell. My question is... Should I make new curtains and cushion covers or just leave them be? They are quite ugly as they are.

If you were in the market would you want them done in someone else's style or would you want them left alone to finish how you like???

Thanks for your input!
Susan Landis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #2

Name: Maggie
Trailer: 1978 Boler 13'
Ontario
I think you'll get both types.

1) The one that wants to just pay a little more $ and have it ready
2) The one that wants to save a little and do it themselves.
Yamaha_gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #3

Name: Alex
Trailer: In the market
Hawaii
Well, as someone who is looking for an RV, I would prefer a lower price over brand new curtains and cushion covers. Also, it would allow me to choose my own fabrics. It's going to be hard to find a fabric that appeals to everyone. You could maybe make that offer that if they give you full asking price, you would replace the curtains and cushion covers for them.
ialex2005i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #4

Name: Sheryl
Trailer: '99 Casita 17'LD
Montana
Registry
Although replacing the curtains and covers might make it more eye-catching, initially, I personally don't think it's worth your time, effort and money. Many/most(?) look forward to the "fix"! Maybe a little reminder in your ad--"waiting for your personal touches"-type comment...
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I wouldn't replace, just get them as clean as possible. I'm sure my taste isn't your taste, but I'd like to buy a trailer that was usable... no matter how ugly the fabrics. YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:04 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1984
Ours had the curtain rods in place but no curtains when we bought it. The inside could be seen to be spotlessly clean and I think that the lack of window coverings made it seem larger and brighter. Later the "other half" had fun picking out and making her own.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:57 AM   #7

Name: Susan
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Pennsylvania
Registry
Thanks for all the replies!
All are great advice.
I like the idea of not having the curtains there. Maybe I will take them down and just send them with, then the new owners have them if they need them right away. The camper is ready to camp.
Thanks again!
Susan Landis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:24 AM   #8

Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Registry
I bought my play PAC because I wanted to camp. I knew nothing of modifying it until I came to this forum. My previous camper
Had home made cushions and curtains. If I saw a camper without them I would be bummed about the work involved to get them on. I just want to camp.... worry about pretty later. If I were someone who would have skills to replace them then i wouldn't worry about what style they are, but I would be happy to have them useable and covered.
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:27 AM   #9

Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan
I bought my play PAC because I wanted to camp. I knew nothing of modifying it until I came to this forum. My previous camper
Had home made cushions and curtains. If I saw a camper without them I would be bummed about the work involved to get them on. I just want to camp.... worry about pretty later. If I were someone who would have skills to replace them then i wouldn't worry about what style they are, but I would be happy to have them useable and covered.
I thought you were considering NOT having cushion covers on... sorry I think curtains off and people know that recovering is an option.... Wonder I'd white sheet as slipcovers to cover the ugly is a good isea
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
When I bought Bean, he was decorated so cute with a Cowboy theme. The owner had gone to alot of trouble decorating it. But I still wanted to make it mine (and felt somewhat guilty doing it!)

As others have mentioned--CLEAN and in WORKING order is your best seller!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:08 PM   #11

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
depending on how ugly faded and fresh they are, some new curtains might make quite an improvement in curb appeal. I know when we bought our U-HAUL my wife appreciated the fact the owner had cut a new carpet remnant to match the floorplan. For a few bucks it gave the trailer a new lease on life!

Regards,

Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Landis View Post
That is the question...

I'm getting my Trillium ready to sell. My question is... Should I make new curtains and cushion covers or just leave them be? ...
Old 07-29-2011, 09:19 AM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Landis View Post
That is the question...

I'm getting my Trillium ready to sell. My question is... Should I make new curtains and cushion covers or just leave them be? They are quite ugly as they are.

If you were in the market would you want them done in someone else's style or would you want them left alone to finish how you like???

Thanks for your input!
It depends on whether they are presentable and servicable, if you want an optimum price then all systems must be clean and in working order, and all cosmetics must be pleasing to the eye.
On each of the campers we have sold, the new cushion covers and curtains along with fresh floor coverings were the final touches which offered the added value the buyer wanted. They are such a small part of refitting a Camper compared to what you don't see.
There are those seeking a project and those seeking a finished camper.
The latter has the expectation of a higher price.
With fiberglass trailers, there is seldom a lack of prospects and your taste will be appreciated by at least one of them. We try to adopt a "theme" which fits the "personality" of each camper.
We are now doing a "trailswest campster" which has a kind of "Jeep" personality some will love it some not so much, but it only takes one.
Reuse the old cushion covers if they are clean and presentable ( even if they are ugly), but if they are torn or stained, at least make simple "pillow case" style covers or panel repairs.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote