Toilet replacement questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2013, 01:01 AM   #1

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Toilet replacement questions

Howdy, I've started replacing the toilet in my Burro. I've got the old one removed and cut out the pedestal it was sitting on. The connection looks to be ABS pipe that goes through the floor into the black tank via a rubber sleeve (rather than screwed into the black tank). My question is, will a closet flange fit into the existing ABS pipe or should I remove the pipe? The Burro's old toilet connection was non-standard, there was no toilet flange, and the closet bolts were fiberglassed into a custom made pedestal. I wasn't sure how a standard RV toilet connection is normally done. Anolther question, is there any difference between a household closet flange vs. one for an RV toilet? Is there a particular toilet flange I should use? Thanks in advance...

While shopping online for a Thetford Aqua Magic V, I found that the manufacturer has a $25 rebate. I was planning to get the toilet from Amazon for $125, and with the rebate will come out to $100 + tax which is a great deal. Here's the link to the rebate for folks looking for a Thetford.
http://www.thetford.com/Portals/0/PD...ate_coupon.pdf
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:47 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Burro toilet replacement.... humm, I've read a lot about those. Here is a five page thread on that very topic. Both Gina (former Burro owner) and Per Walthensen (mod man extraordinaire) have things to say about it. Check it out: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ell-28177.html

Best of luck and I hope it goes well for you!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #3

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Sorry to hear you had Per W's hopper/shower pan configuration, Tom. Now that you've cut out the pedestal, I think you will need to follow Per's solution for restoring water-tight integrity to the pan as the footprint of the toiler base or pyramid in per's case was much larger than a nominal 6" closet flange. This correction to the floor of the pan involved, as I recall, a raised plywd pad and some glass work. IF for any reason you don't have a shower wand or you don't intend to use the shower, you could mount the closet flange to the subfloor in the larger opening in the pan. The tank grommet mentioned in an earlier discussion worked for me as a transition between a common floor flange and black tank in the case of my Burro.

I have forgotten the details of precisely how Per handled the problem of a base seal for his rework but presumably that should be your guide. Happy to see that my experience didn't lead you down the garden path to any more trouble than you have but I apologize for providing the false hope that you might escape with less.

Jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:33 AM   #4

Registry
I don't ever use my shower, so I haven't decided exactly what to do yet. Going to order the toilet and wait until it arrives to decide. Probably I will build some kind of platform for it that I can blend into the existing shower pan to make a waterproof transition. I refreshed my memory by looking at Per's pictures, mine is slightly different in that there was no ABS pipe out of the toilet. Instead there's a 3 inch ABS stub stuck in the grommet in the black tank. Not sure if I should try to pull that stub out or just put a closet flange over it, the stub is glued onto the grommet really tight.

Also did some googling about closet flanges and there appears to be no difference between household and RV ones, so I can just pick up an ABS one from Lowes.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:41 AM   #5

Registry
trying to load a couple picsClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0213.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	57932Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0215.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	57933
Old 04-22-2013, 03:15 AM   #6

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Certainly keep the grommet and possibly the ABS soil pipe if it can be cemented to a new closet flange. There are flanges that slip over 3" or into 4". I like your thinking on having the hopper at hand to see if "tings goze togeddah." It looks to be exactly the occasion for some good old Per-spiration.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:48 AM   #7

Registry
I wound up making a short platform out of 3/4" plywood, and cutting the shower pan to make a very tight fit around the platform. I screwed the platform to the floor with deck screws, and used exterior latex sealant between the platform and the shower pan.

This is the platform with toilet flange installed.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0408.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	59733

The installed toilet.

Name:	IMG_0412.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	59734
Old 05-29-2013, 01:54 AM   #8

Registry
I also made a shelf that spans the rear of the trailer above the bed, out of 1x10 pine board with 1x2 lip.

Name:	IMG_0410.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	59735

One of two LED under cabinet lights I bought off ebay, installed in the rear above the bed, very bright warm light.

Name:	IMG_0411.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	59736

Dual case fans to replace the range hood that I removed because I couldn't see what I was cooking and it was too loud.

Name:	IMG_0413.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	59737

Table I made when I first got the trailer.

Name:	IMG_0414.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	59738