Tongue Rack - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2017, 10:51 AM   #1

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
Tongue Rack

Just thought I'd show off my new tongue rack. It is tubular steel and weighs 35 lbs. (solid, maybe overkill). I plan to mount a LowPro Lockdown and Yamaha 2400 generator on it. I'll put some security nuts on the u-bolts and an additional lock on it to help prevent the whole thing from walking away. I elected to not weld it to the frame because I don't like making permanent mods and we'll only use it when we're traveling somewhere where AC might be needed. I removed the tacky "stinky slinky" tube from the front of the trailer to make room for the generator. I now store the sewer hose in a 5" x 5" plastic fence post mounted under the rear of the trailer.

I also have an Ultimate Jack replacing the standard jack. This makes it easy to remove when traveling, allowing me to open the rear door on our RAV4.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0252.jpg   image.jpg  

Doug in Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:49 AM   #2

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
Show off.
Even your sewer line is pretty.
And well thought out with gloves at the ready.
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:15 PM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I like that concept. My friend has a welder and a great metal cutoff saw which I have access to. That makes it something I could design and fabricate myself from the basic materials. I like it! Thanks for posting about your project, I will save it to my clip file of projects to do as I have a Honda i1000 generator I want to travel with.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:31 PM   #4

California
I built a prototype out of 2x2 wood and left that and the trailer with the welder for part of a day. I was thinking angle iron but he suggested the tubing. Angle iron would probably be lighter. Making the prototype assured me that I could remove the propane tank.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:34 PM   #5

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Ooo! busted knuckles? A little hard to tell from the angle but it looks like your hand gets kinda close to the frame when cranking the jack up or down.

Any plans to enclose it?

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:43 PM   #6

California
Just enough room to spare. I tested it with the prototype.
I have thought about covering it with some kind of thin, light, white material.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:01 PM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp
Alaska
Like fiberglass [emoji23][emoji23]
jgutteter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:11 PM   #8

California
Gee, I hadn't thought about that �� Actually, I might try the really light bendable stuff they make campaign signs out of. Home Depot sells sheets of it. Cheap and easy to work with. I could probably snap tie it to the rack frame.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:24 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug in Sacramento View Post
Actually, I might try the really light bendable stuff
It's only bendable in one direction and only up to a point, when it folds, creating a permanent crease. Basically it is corrugated plastic, somewhat tougher than cardboard.

http://www.coroplast.com/
Old 05-19-2017, 01:15 AM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug in Sacramento View Post
Gee, I hadn't thought about that �� Actually, I might try the really light bendable stuff they make campaign signs out of. Home Depot sells sheets of it. Cheap and easy to work with. I could probably snap tie it to the rack frame.
Hey Doug, just tossing out another idea to you. You could also use Plexy or Lexan, painted on the inside for a glossy look. Drill and tap 4 holes per panel for some machine bolts....done. Would hold up a lot better than the sign material too. With three sides, I'd be trying to heat bend it just cuz but would probably end up adding that to my "life's learning" book, vol 4, of what didn't work .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:15 AM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp
Alaska
You can get a 4x8' sheet of RFP for $25 at Lowes. It's the plastic paneling that restaurants use in the kitchen walls. Basically indestructible and water proof
jgutteter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:03 AM   #12

California
Hey, thanks for all the suggestions. I'll think more about it and I'll let you know what I do. Both sides will need to open or be removable in order to remove the propane tank.