Took out the Ice Box in Campster - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2015, 10:44 PM   #1

Name: Teri
Trailer: Casita looking for, currently have a RoadTrek
California
Registry
Took out the Ice Box in Campster

After careful consideration I took out the Icebox from the Campster. We got a Coleman Extreme Ice Chest instead. So, since we would use the ice box for storage and I have converted the area to storage with a shelving unit that was from Ikea and adapted it to the same area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1630.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	86754

Still have to do some finishing. The divider needs to be installed and the closet completed as well as the doors.

Tomorrow I'll finish and put in the new vent over the stove. I took out the gas lamp and need to cap off or replace the the t joint with a straight one.

Heading to Glacier, Yellowstone and Tetons next month so got to get it done.
teri85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:56 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Wow, Yellowstone & the Tetons in August that's very brave... It's gonna be very hot and very crowded. We were there last month and it was already very hot and tight for space. If you missed it, take a look at the post I made re: Yellowstone Camping: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ips-70237.html

Also be aware of the towing restrictions on the Going to the Sun Road in Glacier, even a 13'er is to long unless you are pulling with a Smart car or a bicycle....LOL

BTW: In Yellowstone, look out for the selfie sticks, they can kill.... hopefully the NPS will follow the lead of Disneyland and ban them as well

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:29 AM   #3

California
Registry
Thanks for the tips on your link. Had not seen it. We have Reservations @ Canyon campground at the end of August. Hoping that the crowds will have mellowed as the school year has started in August in many places.

This is the first extended trip in the trailer as we have usually done only 3 - 6 day trips. Since we are in bear country frequently we decided to take out the ice box as we always use bear boxes. I did several volunteer summers in Yosemite in the 90's so am very cautious.

In Glacier we are staying in St. Mary's and doing the Going to the Sun Road in a day trip. I prefer to set up camp and then do day trips from there.

Looking forward to the trip.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by teri85 View Post
Thanks for the tips on your link. Had not seen it. We have Reservations @ Canyon campground at the end of August. Hoping that the crowds will have mellowed as the school year has started in August in many places.

In Glacier we are staying in St. Mary's and doing the Going to the Sun Road in a day trip. I prefer to set up camp and then do day trips from there.

Looking forward to the trip.
Sounds sensible Teri, have a great trip. John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:03 PM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: Hunter
New Mexico
Trip will be amazing. I worked in Yellowstone for many years. August is a great time. Don't let others negative speculation slow you down.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Seldomseensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:54 PM   #6

California
Registry
Almost finished the redo of the ice box area. Need to do the clothes rod for the closet and the doors. The porta-a-potty fits perfectly under the closet. Need to get some boxes for shoes.

Next up is the wiring for the new 12V hood over the stove and finish the gas line from the removal of the gas lantern in the trailer. I also am trying to figure out the best way to stabilize the pop top.

More fun in store and I am looking forward to the trip. I have been wanting to do something like this for a very long time and now that I have retired I glad to be able to go and not worry about the start of another school year.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:29 AM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Yellowstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldomseensmith View Post
Trip will be amazing. I worked in Yellowstone for many years. August is a great time. Don't let others negative speculation slow you down.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
I wasn't posting "negative speculation", I was in Yellowstone last month, before most schools were out, and it was already very, very crowded and HOT. Evan the NPS warns about crowds in Yellowstone and at Grand Canyon in the summer.

But, in that the op already has reservations at a campground, at least one of the issues of crowding will be alleviated.

And again, beware of the selfie sticks, they can kill!!! LOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:53 AM   #8

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Nice job, Teri!
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:20 AM   #9

California
Registry
Thanks Bobbie. it is coming together.

Put in a new stove vent and light for the 12V system. Took some work to get it to fit in the space but it is in now and running. It will be since to use the fan and light when we are out and about.

Now I need to cap off the gas line to the light I removed. Having a time finding the right size fitting to cap it off. I am trying to avoid removing the t-joint. Will try again tomorrow.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:53 PM   #10

California
Registry
Capped off the gas line with a brass cap from OSH. Local trailer supply would have been cheaper, ironically.

Have to redo the closet door and am considering using the door from the icebox for the new shelf. The door shelves would work nicely for toiletry type stuff. Have to consider how to do the hinges.

Have to finish recovering the foam mattresses and organize the under bed storage area and access.

Tags
campster