Trading out microwave to toaster oven - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2015, 12:31 PM   #1

Name: Marti
Trailer: Casita
California
Trading out microwave to toaster oven

We have a 2002 17 foot Cassita Liberty that came with an installed microwave oven. We want to take that out and install a toaster oven instead. Has anyone done that and is there any problems with heat exhaust or anything? The placement of the oven is above the refrigerator.
spiritart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:14 AM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I did it and wish had done it sooner. My setup is identical to yours. I have had no issues. I put in a turbo convection oven instead of conventional. A microwave in my opinion heating up a huge roast or chunk of meat could or would run 20 minutes or so and generate a lot of heat. Anyway I gave up a minor inconvenience of warming a cup of coffee for something in my opinion was a lot more functional.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:27 AM   #3

California
Thanks so much for your reply. Did you have to make any adjustments to switch it out?
Old 07-13-2015, 12:07 PM   #4

Name: mary
Trailer: 16 S/D Scamp 2010
California
I rally want to switch out my microwave too, is it hard wired into the trailer?
marywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:39 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Should just have a regular plug in behind the microwave.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:51 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I would be somewhat concerned about putting a 1000-1500 watt toaster oven in that space. Check with the MFG and see what it sez about clearances and enclosed spaces.

I looked at the book for a 1600 watt Oster I have in my kitchen and it warns to have nothing within 10 inches of the sides and top and 3 inches behind. It also warns to not install in an enclosed space.

BTW: Just last week I looked over a 30' class "A" motorhome that burned to the ground while overnighting in a San Clemente, CA Wal-Mart. About all the owner would say was that the fire started in the kitchen

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:34 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I guess the bottom line is use common sense. Googling the issue brought up many people switching over to a microwave- convection oven and then getting the benefit of both worlds. Regardless for liability issues I would use at your own risk. The oven that I have is small with lots of room on both sides and top and large enough for a small baking pan or TV dinner size pan/plate etc. I can make a small pan of biscuits or heat/bake a small casserole. All opinions are soley mine.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:09 PM   #8

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
I used the oven on the picnic table out side to keep the heat down
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:13 PM   #9

Name: Dex
Trailer: Casita 17' 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9L
Georgia
My casita didn't come with a built in microwave.

But - when I use my toaster oven, I take it out of the microwave area and rest it on the door. You may not have a door, to do that. But I would recommend that you consider doing something similar while cooking. You might put the oven over the sink on a cutting board or one of your tables while in use.

If you don't I'd make sure the area around the oven can handle the heat.
Dextersp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:19 PM   #10

California
I wrote to the Casita company: Can the microwave oven in the Liberty Deluxe be replaced by a toaster oven and is there any problem with the heat it creates?

I got this answer: yes it can be replaced just dont forget to turn it off when finished.

So, it looks like it should probably work fine. It does have direct access to vents where it is located and a regular plug. I will probably get a small one, so it will have room around it.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:34 PM   #11

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have one of those folding camp kitchen tables. Gas grill sets on top, toaster oven on bottom shelf, OUTSIDE of the trailer.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:38 PM   #12

I'd be sure to put that reply in the papers for your Casita, you may need it some day.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:25 AM   #13

Name: Wendy
Trailer: ‘14 Casita 17 SD
Florida
Now someone needs to invent a way for a timer on a toaster oven to automatically shut it off when the time is up. I've forgotten to turn the oven off more than once when the last batch of cookies was done.
WendyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:36 AM   #14

Both of the toaster ovens I have already have built in timers, that's fairly standard I believe.

That's why I was surprised by the reply from Casita, it sounds like the answer came from someone that doesn't know much about toaster ovens.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:49 AM   #15

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Both of the toaster ovens I have already have built in timers, that's fairly standard I believe.

That's why I was surprised by the reply from Casita, it sounds like the answer came from someone that doesn't know much about toaster ovens.
Both of my toaster ovens at home have no timer, nor does the one at work in the breakroom. I like my toaster ovens but NO WAY would I build one into an enclosed space in MY egg.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:07 AM   #16

Hmmmm... I have a 5 y.o. Oster (COSTCO) and a Procter-Silex (Yard Sale) toaster oven and both have mechanical timers that have to be turned and set for the ovens to power up in any mode. I have several tenants and I would never have one without a timer that could just be left ON indefinitely.

Not to bring up a sensitive point, but I'd bet that the one in the break room does not meet OSHA workplace safety requirements, but they will learn that after the fire I suppose. LOL?

Old 07-14-2015, 11:24 AM   #17

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
My toaster oven has a timer.. the timer broke a few yeas ago. The oven still goes to 450 degrees F. I don't leave it unattended, and it is not in an enclosed space.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:51 AM   #18

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I couldn't use either, as I rarely have 120V hookups.

I do use a microwave at home to reheat things, but haven't owned a toaster oven in 30 years, as we never really had a use for one. Does the toaster oven replace a BBQ?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:56 AM   #19

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
If I had a toaster oven, with or without convection, I'd plug it in outside my Scamp on the gfci and set it on a camp table. I do not have a microwave either. Just my .02.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 03:42 PM   #20

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Somewhat off topic...but, last week while wandering thru a J.C. Penny's small appliance dept, i saw a small appliance that looked neat for a FG camper's kitchen top.

Contained within one unit was a small coffee maker, a top grill, and a small toaster under the grill.

Link doesn't work, so Google: JC Penny Cooks 3-in-1 Cooking Station Coffee Maker/Toaster Oven/Griddle

I've found that most combination units don't work all that great...but it look interesting! It was on sale for less than $100.

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microwave