Trillium 1300 Gaucho bed extension? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2021, 12:00 AM   #1

Name: A
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia, Canada
Trillium 1300 Gaucho bed extension?

Forgive if this has been covered, but my searches for this topic weren’t successful. I’m trying to figure out if there is a way to widen the lower part of the gaucho to make it more comfortable for an adult to sleep on. I’ve seen plenty of fantastic mods for extending the dinette bed - but without the table and space beneath to work with I’m drawing a blank as to how to give a little more space for the occasional toss and turn, or just some knee support for sleeping in the fetal position. Right now my only idea is to bring a big camping tub from my van into the trailer and stick a cushion on it, but that seems inelegant at best. Has anyone had any success with this type of idea, or have any ideas? Thanks everyone!
arslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:29 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Curious how wide that bed is on a Trillium? Do you have the upper bunk? Is it set up when you sleep on the bottom?

I sleep on the lower front bunk of our Scamp and find it adequately wide (and I do sleep on my side sometimes). It’s 26” wide in the middle but tapers quite a bit at the ends- the front of a Scamp has more curve than a Trillium. I have napped on the sofa with the bunk folded down as a backrest, but that’s definitely too narrow for sleeping at night.

As to an extension, how about a piece of plywood that slides out a few inches with legs for support, and enough under the cushion to keep it in place? Slots for the upper bunk supports, maybe?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:27 AM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Step 1: Ditch the top bunk. If you are using the front as a bed, then the upper bunk is in the way.

Step 2: You can create a wider platform by adding a piece of plywood to the base. Every inch makes a difference. I'll have to measure but I bet you could add 4 inches of width, maybe more. The area beside the kitchen would stay narrow, use that as a foot well.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 03:16 PM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I see that you have a 1300. The gaucho on a 4500 is significantly wider. If you are very attached to your Trillium, I totally understand, but the price delta between a 1300 and a 4500 is not huge. If your 1300 is in good shape, then you could upgrade to a 4500 for a reasonable cost.
Also:
The rear dinette bed is almost a queen size.
The kitchen is longer.
The closet is wider.
The water tank is in the floor and takes up no storage space.
The furnace is on the curb side and frees up a cupboard in the kitchen.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...0-a-64417.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 05:28 PM   #5

British Columbia, Canada
Jon in AZ - it’s about 27 inches wide, with the upper bunk folded up (or removed entirely as suggested by Thrifty Bill). I move around a lot when I sleep and I have two tree trunks for legs - so a bit more space would make me comfortable there (this is in a situation when camping with a friend, who I’d want to have the dinette bed).

I think the plywood sliding out is a good idea - but how to attach it? That’s what I don’t get. I’m never keen to drill more holes into the fiberglass but is that what is necessary? Bill when you say “the base” what exactly do you mean?

I was also imagining the small space between the kitchen and wall would work as a foot well.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:31 PM   #6

British Columbia, Canada
I barely got my hands on my 1300 - they’re so hard to find right now. And I just was able to afford it with some help from Uncle Visa. An upgrade is not in the cards (yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I see that you have a 1300. The gaucho on a 4500 is significantly wider. If you are very attached to your Trillium, I totally understand, but the price delta between a 1300 and a 4500 is not huge. If your 1300 is in good shape, then you could upgrade to a 4500 for a reasonable cost.
Also:
The rear dinette bed is almost a queen size.
The kitchen is longer.
The closet is wider.
The water tank is in the floor and takes up no storage space.
The furnace is on the curb side and frees up a cupboard in the kitchen.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...0-a-64417.html
Old 05-06-2021, 09:17 PM   #7

Registry
I would attach the plywood to the gaucho bench beneath it. You have a couple of choices. Also add 2x2 legs on the overhang. If you want to avoid bolting it through the fiberglass gaucho, just measure it carefully and sink screws into the wood hatch covers. That plus front legs plus a cushion on top of it, plus the plywood will be wedged into the slot beside the kitchen. Remember to have clearance on the fridge door too.

As far as RV "twins" go, the twins on a Casita Liberty are 23 inches wide, so are the side dinette to twin conversions.

I would have guessed the 1300 front bed was narrower than 27. A regular residential twin is 39 inches wide. You are not going to get that. But 30 or more is pretty good.
Old 05-07-2021, 12:06 AM   #8

British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I would attach the plywood to the gaucho bench beneath it. You have a couple of choices. Also add 2x2 legs on the overhang. If you want to avoid bolting it through the fiberglass gaucho, just measure it carefully and sink screws into the wood hatch covers. That plus front legs plus a cushion on top of it, plus the plywood will be wedged into the slot beside the kitchen. Remember to have clearance on the fridge door too.

As far as RV "twins" go, the twins on a Casita Liberty are 23 inches wide, so are the side dinette to twin conversions.

I would have guessed the 1300 front bed was narrower than 27. A regular residential twin is 39 inches wide. You are not going to get that. But 30 or more is pretty good.
I think that’s a great idea, but I’d prefer something that can be temporary. However, having it fold away is something I can’t quite visualize. But if I attached it to the wood hatch covers somehow? Maybe piano hinges and some screw-in legs?
Old 05-07-2021, 05:47 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I’m picturing something that slides back against the gaucho, legs in front, when the bed is not in use.

If enough of the plywood remains under the cushion when expended, it shouldn’t take much to hold it in place- tabs of Velcro on the hatch covers, maybe?

Remove the whole thing when the extra bed isn’t needed.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:34 AM   #10

Registry
temporary = hinged piece of plywood with legs.
Old 05-07-2021, 04:25 PM   #11

British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I’m picturing something that slides back against the gaucho, legs in front, when the bed is not in use.

If enough of the plywood remains under the cushion when expended, it shouldn’t take much to hold it in place- tabs of Velcro on the hatch covers, maybe?

Remove the whole thing when the extra bed isn’t needed.
So a piece of plywood that lies flat on the seating area of the lower gaucho bench, with two legs that go flush against the side of the bench (where your own legs would be when sitting) that you slide out and then secure with Velcro to the bench... did I get that right?
Old 05-07-2021, 04:27 PM   #12

British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
temporary = hinged piece of plywood with legs.
Where exactly do you see the hinge and legs attached to this?
Old 05-07-2021, 06:41 PM   #13

Registry
Actually, I might use some rigid foam insulation blocks instead. My "concern" is that the area under the bed needs to be flat. So if you have a piece of 1/2 inch plywood on just the overhanging section, your bed is going to have a hump in it. The rigid foam is much lighter than plywood, little to no strength, so you aren't going to create an overhang with it.
Old 05-08-2021, 05:10 AM   #14

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
Trillium 1300 Gaucho extension

Hello I too have a 1300 Trillium

I added a hinged 1/2" plywood extension shelf to the front of the fibreglass base with 4 x 3/16" bolts in drilled holes near the top through the face. It extends from the fridge to the door approx. 40" x 11" (1" above floor when dropped down )
For the legs I used 3 pieces of 2x2 hardwood drilled on one end to accept a 3/4 " diameter dowel. This dowel protrudes 1/2" and is inserted through 3/4" dia holes equally spaced in the plywood shelf. Mine fit snugly in the holes and don't move easily. Note : install the shelf and hold it level to measure for the legs.
To use it pull the shelf up and install the 3 legs in the holes , place the cushion next .

This shelf has a 3" thick foam cushion placed on top held in place with 2 velcro strips to prevent it from moving . The one drawback is that the fridge is blocked when the shelf is used. My shelf only extends from the fridge to the door but it increases the bed to 45",same as the rear bed. Stick your feet in at the cupboard end and enjoy your sleep. Duane

p.s. If removed later on only 4 small holes for the hinges remain .
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:54 PM   #15

British Columbia, Canada
Thanks everyone for all the recommendations and info. When I get out to the trailer this weekend I'm gonna take a few measurements and try a few things out. I'm thinking hinged plywood that tucks underneath the cushion, with a pair of legs that screw in/can be stored with the upper bunk supports. Secured with velcro. If that works I'll cut some foam for a little extender cushion. I'll post any results here. Appreciate all the ideas very much!
Old 02-11-2024, 03:08 AM   #16

Name: Christy
Trailer: trillium
BC
hey, did you finish your bed extension? can you post photos
christy visser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 03:08 AM   #17

Name: Christy
Trailer: trillium
BC
hey, do you have any photos of what you have done?
christy visser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 06:37 AM   #18

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
Trillium 1300 Gaucho extension

Hi Chrissy, Welcome
I just saw your post .
I don't have any pictures of the extension. My trailer is in storage at present. If you show my original post to some friends I'm sure a sketch can be made from my details The extension is only 11" wide so the plywood can swing down and still clear the floor. I built a similar shelf for a Sprite trailer I owned prior to the Trillium . The hinges are 2" wide brass so no rust. If you talk to a handy person friend maybe he/she could work with you to build this. I never remove it ,it only sticks out about an inch when down. The foam mattress same size as the shelf can be made by any upholestry shop. I put the mattress on edge when stored to use as back rest on the gaucho .
Enjoy your Trillium .I hope you can add this item without any trouble. Duane
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium