OMG what a worthwhile project this was! Between Dave Tilston's generous advice and CheaperJeepers UTUBE video on Trillium
Belly Band Repair, we managed to get this done and couldn't be happier with the results. Knowing this source of leaks
is gone is priceless peace of mind and, in my opinion, it looks better but to each their own on that subject.
Here's how it went for us: We experienced many delays between steps due to waiting for appropriate fiberglass
curing temps. It was not a difficult job by any means if you have the needed tools and patience. I've never done bodywork in my life and the job came out great. Hubs sawed out the steel plates and I did most of the fiberglass
repair and finishing from there except for the rear where he did the work of adhering the wood to the fiberglass
like CheaperJeeper did.
The picture you see here shows the first bit of fiberglass repair after the steel plates came out- will post the final result once I take some pictures of those.
After doing this job I would encourage anyone not to be afraid to tackle it if you know how to use the tools involved or are willing to learn how to and have the time. I would say this is a full weekend job for a newbie to body work due to the many steps involved and the corrections you will more than likely have to make to get the surface looking good for final paint
Once you lay the different types of fiberglass the rest is all about properly sanding and fine tuning it and then finishing with the correct filling primer and paint
. I recommend you don't skimp on quality sanding paper/discs and have plenty on hand. I went through a lot of 80 grit to take down overfill. For me it was better to do more coats than to take away heavier ones but that might of been because I was a terrified amateur! Use safety equipment (masks for dust, gloves, etc) and high quality marine or auto "filler" primer and paint and and just have fun with it.
Remember, skimping on proper supplies can result in failure or disappointing results so don't go there. Supplies ran us around $220 and we had all the needed tools so we felt this was not too expensive a job for such an incredible improvement.