Trillium Frame Replacement Questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2021, 01:50 AM   #1

Name: Mary
Trailer: Trillium
Virginia
Trillium Frame Replacement Questions

I am getting ready to have a new frame fabricated for my 1975 Trillium 1300 and I remember seeing a post with a schematic that someone did for just this purpose - either for a Boler or a Trillium - but, for the life of me, I have searched and searched and can no longer find it.

I'm brand new to all of this and welding is not something I can do, myself, so I need to take it to a shop and to make sure that when I ask them to make this new frame and new axle for me that they don't just replicate the current frame, known flaws and all.

Does anyone remember the thread that I am talking about? If not...what tips can you give me to help me to describe to them what the new frame needs to look like/do?

Thanks in advance for your help!
marylars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 09:42 AM   #2

Name: Cate & Dan
Trailer: 1976 Triple E SurfSide "The Mutt Hut"
Manitoba
This might not be much help but Slim Potatohead has a video on YouTube called Trailer Repairs: Up in the Air when he takes his Trillium Outback to Trillium in Calgary and has his frame replaced.
He shows the frames with the "egg" on and off from a number of angles so you can see in the video how the frames are no longer made with that bend in the front that is notorious for cracking. I even noticed little bumpers on the egg to protect it from sharp edges in that spot. While this is not going to give you any measurements, it will give you something to show your fabricator to better describe what it is you want. Hope that helps a little.
Old Macdonalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 10:01 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Outback
Trailer: Outback trillium trailer
Alberta
trailer frame

Hello Mary, we here at Outback Trailers manufacture custom trillium frames in steel and aluminum, we have being doing this for well over 21 years. They come with many cool options and are considerably stronger as well. If you go to youtube and look up Slim Potato head he has a video off us doing an aluminum frame swap over for him, you may find some interest in that
Joe at Outback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 12:09 PM   #4

Name: Mark Bradley
Trailer: 1976 Boler B-1300 1980 Bigfoot B-17
Manitoba
For information on the Boler frame go to BOLERCAMPING.COM. Then CUSTOMIZE and MODIFY. Finally under MAJOR and COMPLEX the Boler frame is listed.
Mark Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 02:34 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Alberta
trillium frame

Hello Mary not sure why directions to a Boler frames, which by the way we do as well here, they are two completely different layouts and certainly do not interchange between each other. The mounting of the two bodies is completely different as well, Slims video is a simple way to view how easy they are removed from the old frame and reinstalled
Old 11-07-2021, 02:42 PM   #6

Name: Ramona
Quebec
Registry
Hi Joe! Do you have any references for colleagues in Montreal area? Just bought a 1976 Trillium trailer and am just gathering info on potential work stuff.
RamonaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 05:30 PM   #7

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Macdonalds View Post
This might not be much help but Slim Potatohead has a video on YouTube called Trailer Repairs: Up in the Air when he takes his Trillium Outback to Trillium in Calgary and has his frame replaced.
He shows the frames with the "egg" on and off from a number of angles so you can see in the video how the frames are no longer made with that bend in the front that is notorious for cracking. I even noticed little bumpers on the egg to protect it from sharp edges in that spot. While this is not going to give you any measurements, it will give you something to show your fabricator to better describe what it is you want. Hope that helps a little.
Thanks! I love his videos and have seen that one. I’ll definitely take another look.
Old 11-08-2021, 05:49 PM   #8

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe at Outback View Post
Hello Mary, we here at Outback Trailers manufacture custom trillium frames in steel and aluminum, we have being doing this for well over 21 years. They come with many cool options and are considerably stronger as well. If you go to youtube and look up Slim Potato head he has a video off us doing an aluminum frame swap over for him, you may find some interest in that
Thanks, Joe!
If my trailer was already roadworthy, I would have loved to have made the trip up to see you next spring to do a swap for me. It would have been a great first leg in a wonderful spring and summer adventure. However, I was stressed just driving it the hour from the seller to my home after I bought it, so a trip from Virginia to Alberta is beyond good sense even with my adventurous spirit.
Once she’s watertight and roadworthy, though, I may just do that trip!
Old 11-08-2021, 05:58 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Alberta
trailer frame

I understand, it quite the haul to Alberta Canada from where your located, If need be we can do a piece build on a frame, so it can be shipped and marked out in easy assembled pieces for a welder to assemble. If that helps.
Old 11-08-2021, 06:36 PM   #10

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe at Outback View Post
I understand, it quite the haul to Alberta Canada from where your located, If need be we can do a piece build on a frame, so it can be shipped and marked out in easy assembled pieces for a welder to assemble. If that helps.
Thanks,
I’ll send you a message and we can see if we can make this happen.

Mary
Old 02-21-2022, 01:54 PM   #11

Name: jagbor
British Columbia
1973 Trillium 1300 frame 'strengthening"

Hi! I have a 1973 Trillium 1300 and have taken the body off the frame (I will be Raptor lining the underside and POR 15'ing the frame). I am looking for some pics of how my frame has been strengthened at the critical bends in the frame since these are known weakspots. Thanks in advance for any help.
JuliusB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium