Trillium Rear shelves reno. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #1

Name: Peter
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee 15'-0
British Columbia
Trillium Rear shelves reno.

While I was working on the microwave cabinet, that I have posted pictures of in the last couple of days, I was also trying to build in some more clothing storage and replace as much of the pretty ugly finishing that existed.

The rear of the trailer had one meagre upper shelf across the width with a fixed vertical front that was about five inches high. The shelf was about 11" front to back. I decided to widen the shelf to about sixteen inches to accommodate light, folded clothing such as shirts, sweaters etc. To access this I put on two drop down flaps with a roller catch on each.

As with the door under the microwave, I attached these flaps with piano hinge for rigidity and their bottom edge bears against the front edge of the shelf to hold them horizontal when open.

I added an 11" wide shelf on the curbside of the trailer. On the opposite side I decided to make a narrower 5" shelf, that would be above our heads when in bed in order that we weren't hitting it with our heads when getting in and out of bed. Unfortunately I had already sized and built the drop down flaps on the rear shelf. So, I had to curve the front edge of the latter shelf to run upto the right hand side of drop down flap to try and avoid it looking like too much of an afterthought.

Construction of these shelves is primarily 1/2" Ultralite MDF with some 3/4" thick spruce backup here and there. The edging is unstained 3/8" thick maple. On the curved shelf it's only 3/16" thick in order to get it to radius and then I glued on a 3/l6" thick backer piece to the portion that projected above the shelf to beef it up a little.

I added a small hanger rod under the 11" shelf towards the back on the curbside of the trailer. We will be leaving the bed permanently made up and so won't really need to access this back corner and we thought we might be able to hang two or three coat hangers back there if needed. I don't know if this will work but will see if I can secure whatever is on the hangers sufficiently to have them not pop off of the rod when travelling.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0389.jpg   IMG_0391.jpg  

IMG_0392.jpg   DSCN0884.jpg  

DSCN0885.jpg   DSCN0886.jpg  

DSCN0888.jpg  
peatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:10 AM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Very nice. Running the narrow shelf to the rear cmptmt door edge is a nice touch and produces the appearance of bilateral symmetry, the product of a well- thought out afterthought.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #3

Name: Mar
Trailer: 1975 Trillium
Ontario
this is great! We don't have any shelves and wanted to make some but I'm scared to drill into the fiberglass to secure them.
Marlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:07 PM   #4

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
Thanks for the photos of the set-up you created. I've been thinking about doing something like this too. Having the doors flip down horizontally makes lots of sense. Nice job on the curves!
BarbinBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #5

Name: Peter
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee 15'-0
British Columbia
Hi Barb ..... I have not fixed any of these shelving parts to the fibreglass. It is all attached to the horizontal wooden components that are bonded into the fibreglass at time of manufacture on the inside of the camper
peatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:01 AM   #6

Name: Marnie
Trailer: Trillium 4500 Deluxe (with toilet and sink)
British Columbia
Registry
Rally nice job. Well done. I have rear shelves, but wanted shelves in the front and you've inspired me.
mstrong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium