Trillium rock guard latch project - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2016, 01:05 AM   #1

Name: Vince
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Trillium rock guard latch project

The latches holding down the rock guard on my Trillium weren't in the best shape so I made up new ones. I understand there were different styles of latches, so here's what was on my trailer. I don't think these were original to this trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20161106_170317017.jpg  
VB_in_BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 01:10 AM   #2

British Columbia
I started with stainless steel retractable plungers from McMaster Carr, p/n 8690A15. These were pricey at US$16 each, plus shipping, but they worked beautifully. From metalsupermarkets.com I purchased 1.0"x1.0" aluminum U-channel, cut to 1.5" long. I drilled a 1/2" hole through each side of the U-channel for the plunger and secured it with a 1/2"-13 stainless steel nut. I also drilled two countersunk holes in the base of the U-channel and screwed this down to the trailer with #10 countersunk oval head screws (stainless steel). Before screwing it down I applied Proflex sealant to prevent water from seeping past the screws.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160719_201136076.jpg   IMG_20161218_151420601.jpg  

Old 12-24-2016, 01:11 AM   #3

British Columbia
Here's the end result. They work perfectly and look pretty decent I think, so I'm happy.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20161218_151454425.jpg  
Old 12-24-2016, 05:03 AM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Great Job ! This solution would work well on many other brands of trailer. I managed to replace the springs on the latches of my Bigfoot because I still had the plungers, but if I was missing the plungers, which is a common issue, this would be a perfect solution.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 06:57 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I like that!
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 03:15 PM   #6

Name: Tim
British Columbia
Nice job, I like that one.
Tim from BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:22 PM   #7

Name: Chris
British Columbia
Vince..

That is a very creative solution - Thanks for sharing.. I will be building a couple for my "cabinette" in the near future as one of my originals ceased up to the point that it broke ;-)
Old 12-24-2016, 07:34 PM   #8

Name: Chris
British Columbia
Vince..

Question - Did you order the plungers "with" or "with out" the Thread Locker??
Old 12-24-2016, 11:59 PM   #9

British Columbia
Thanks guys! I hope this helps a few of you. Chris - I didn't use the thread locking spring plungers. Either style should work fine though. I just torqued the nut down tight so it won't vibrate loose.

By the way, if you're ordering from McMaster Carr from Canada, you will need to order through a business. They rejected my order initially, even with a US shipping address. I found that annoying, but I couldn't find the spring plungers anywhere else.

Slightly unrelated - I purchased new Kason door hinges for my Trillium from McMaster Carr earlier this year. I found the info in an old thread on this forum. They don't show the hinges on their website but when I entered the part number it allowed me to order them.
Old 12-25-2016, 05:50 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by VB_in_BC View Post
By the way, if you're ordering from McMaster Carr from Canada, you will need to order through a business.
Just like Fastenal. They have a lot of stuff that I wasn't able to source anywhere else, they have it on hand at the store, yet they won't sell anything to the regular guy. Frustrating. Strange business policy. You have a customer on site, ready to give you money for something that you're the only one to sell, and you refuse.
Worst: when they realize you're not a business, they sneer at you like you're an idiot or a lower life form.
I'm thinking of registering my own business "Carl's Trailer Restoration Inc." !!
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 07:46 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl V View Post
I'm thinking of registering my own business "Carl's Trailer Restoration Inc." !!
No idea of what that would cost to do but it "just" may be the way to go. Not like you really have to have a working business....other than on paper
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium