Trillum foam interior replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2016, 10:55 PM   #1

Name: Nathaniel
Trailer: trillium
British Columbia
Trillum foam interior replacement

HI all, I read quite a few posts of what people have used to replace worn, torn and shabby or missing liner foam, and I had a bear finding something somewhat similar but what I did find was extremely expensive. But what I found that worked very well for me was EVA foam yoga mat material from Crappy Tire. Enough to do the entire front end in 1/4 foam cost me $40, by buying a 5X8 mat. The material is thicker and stiffer than the stock material but glued well with contact cement and took paint without a problem. I used a heat gun to help it mold around the bulge where the door support is. Because of the bulging shape of the trailer distorted it so much, I had to glue it from the centre outwards, cut the edge at the window and then cut a vertical edge halfway to the kitchen and half way to the door, and then cut and fit in the remaining pieces. Sikaflex applied with a putty knife fills the seams well. It insulates from the sun quite nicely.
rattlenbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:53 AM   #2

Trailer: 78 Trillium 13 ft / 2003 F150
Photos?

Hi,

What an interesting way to deal with the problem.
It would be great to have photos of the process.

Larry H
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:31 AM   #3

Name: Robin
Trailer: Scamp 13
Connecticut
Yes, photos please

I want to replace the worn foam interior of my 1980 Scamp 13, and your idea sounds great. Please post photos when you can!
Robin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:59 PM   #4

British Columbia
Here's a link to the restoration. The pic descriptions detail how I went about things.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...U1pUXRZZGpxQzg

Once you click on and enlarge a pic, the description is available if you hit the i in a circle button (info) on the upper right.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:17 PM   #5

Name: Bernie
Trailer: Researching Options
Kentucky
Link to the foam you used

Very nice! The photos show you did a lot of work and it looks wonderful. Would you be able to post a link to the actual foam product you purchased? I would like to get some just like it!!

Thank you,

Bernie
BernieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:23 PM   #6

British Columbia
Here you go. Shock Athletic Microban Rolled Foam Mat, 4 x | Canadian Tire
Old 07-27-2016, 10:30 PM   #7

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Should of used Water base glue as

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattlenbang View Post
HI all, I read quite a few posts of what people have used to replace worn, torn and shabby or missing liner foam, and I had a bear finding something somewhat similar but what I did find was extremely expensive. But what I found that worked very well for me was EVA foam yoga mat material from Crappy Tire. Enough to do the entire front end in 1/4 foam cost me $40, by buying a 5X8 mat. The material is thicker and stiffer than the stock material but glued well with contact cement and took paint without a problem. I used a heat gun to help it mold around the bulge where the door support is. Because of the bulging shape of the trailer distorted it so much, I had to glue it from the centre outwards, cut the edge at the window and then cut a vertical edge halfway to the kitchen and half way to the door, and then cut and fit in the remaining pieces. Sikaflex applied with a putty knife fills the seams well. It insulates from the sun quite nicely.
:contact Cement will eat into the foam and it just might fall off. Other than that smart move on the exercise matt.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:07 PM   #8

Name: Kathi
Trailer: Cadet
New Brunswick
yoga mats as insulation

Here's something you all may want to consider, the fumes off this stuff in a small enclosed space :
Most yoga mats are manufactured in Asia and are made of polyvinyl chloride, or PVC. PVC is inexpensive and offers great gripping properties to mats. However, PVC has been listed by many organizations as the “most toxic plastic” currently in use. In addition, toxic chemicals including: phthalates (endocrine disruptors) are added to the PVC to make the mats soft and pliable. As endocrine disruptors they mimic the body’s hormones. We are exposed to these chemicals on our mats by breathing the slow off gassing, the evaporation of these chemicals and by simple skin contact.

Exposure to PVC through inhalation and skin contact can result in:

• The United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (the CDC) states that PVC causes damage to the liver, reproductive system, central nervous and respiratory systems.
  • The “gripping” chemicals used in these mats are Phthalates, and they can cause cancer. (LIVESTRONG.com)
  • Obesity
  • Worsening allergy and asthma symptoms
  • Increase potential for heart disease, breast cancer, and Type 2 diabetes (Elephant Journal)
  • Developmental issues such as: inattention and hyperactivity. (Sarah Novak — Treehugger)
If you’re trying to get pregnant or already are, it’s important to note Phthalates in PVC have been linked to: (EcoNovice)

• Pregnant women are at greater risk for possible PVC and other chemical exposures, because these chemicals can affect the reproductive system and unborn children.

Reduced fertility in women
  • Reduced sperm counts in men
  • Malformations of the male reproductive tract and testicular cancer
  • Preterm birth and low birth weight babies
  • Presence in the placenta and have been found in breast milk
  • Possible ADHD in children
minihorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:38 PM   #9

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Huh? PVC pipes are the most common way of providing water supply lines in the USA...
Old 07-28-2016, 04:18 PM   #10

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
The add says they are made of EVA foam.

Spanke
Old 07-28-2016, 06:10 PM   #11

Name: Kathi
Trailer: Cadet
New Brunswick
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Huh? PVC pipes are the most common way of providing water supply lines in the USA...
Rigid pvc is not the issue. It's the toxic phthalates used to soften plastic. They banned them in baby bottles and plastic bathtub duckies because of hormonal and other damages to humans. There are websites where you can look up your particular brand of yoga mat to see if it includes dangerous off gassing chemicals.
minihorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:40 AM   #12

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
EVA foam is solvent resistant and generally speaking chemical resistant. The standard solvent based contact cements work very well for bonding it. That is one of adhesives recommended for it in industrial applications of product production. You can check that out for yourself. The person who said it is not compatible with contact cement must be thinking of a different type of foam.

I have applied EVA foam on the front wall of my overcab area in my Sunrader as well as on the interior of the roof surface . It has been sitting facing south into the Sun for 3 summers and I have had no problems of any kind from that high temperature situation. There have been times when the outside temperature reach in the high 90s. I used the brush on version of Weldbond contact cement.

Many of the foam types of cushioned drawer and shelf liner that you find in the household goods area at the home center supply stores are also made from EVA. They work very nicely for applying to the walls inside of cabinets for insulation and cushioning, EVA foam also does sound deadening.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote