Triple bunk in Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2018, 04:23 PM   #1

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Scamp
Quebec
Triple bunk in Scamp

Hello all,

Has anyone ever attempted to modify the bunk beds so they become a triple bunk bed? We need to do that to accomodate our three kids. Let me know if you have any ideas on how we could attempt to do this.

Thanks,

Nancy
nlemay77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:26 PM   #2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlemay77 View Post
Hello all,

Has anyone ever attempted to modify the bunk beds so they become a triple bunk bed? We need to do that to accomodate our three kids. Let me know if you have any ideas on how we could attempt to do this.

Thanks,

Nancy

Nice little tents right outside the windows work wonders.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:36 PM   #3

Quebec
Yes, we will use a tent but for those times when we stop late at night while travelling and we can't set up a tent. Or when there's a really bad thunderstorm.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:50 PM   #4

Registry
There's many options. In my opinion trying to add another bunk is the last. In the case of heavy rains or can't put the kids outside because you are not allowed to pitch a tent, Inside the tow vehicle is an option. Remember it won't be long until they out grow anything you so. A tent is not a very big investment. For occasional no tent night the inconvenience is quite doable.

I can say that because my kids full grown with youngest near 40.

When our kids were small we camped much of the year all of us (2 adults and 3 or 4 children) slept in 2 or 3 tents. We managed with rain, snow, sleet and hot sun.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:04 PM   #5

Quebec
Thank you for your wisdom. You've convinced me that it might be overkill since they will outgrow even the bunks soon. My oldest son is almost 11. We'll look into tents. :-)
Old 08-15-2018, 05:26 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
As I also shared on FB, Scamp's layout 7 sleeps 5. It's not that common, but a few do show up for sale every year. You can also keep an eye out for Casita 16' or 17' standard (no bath) models. There are two 17' standards listed now, but they're pretty far away- a Liberty standard in TN and a Spirit standard in OK or MO. Pretty unusual to see two at once. Both are in the classifieds.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:41 PM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Tents really came a long way these days, they are real nice and easy set up. Also the gear for inside is really nice to, easy set up and comfy. Good luck, Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:35 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Not to stir the pot, but I’ll mention a thread on here where someone installed a bunk across the foot of the big bed. Voila!
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:35 AM   #9

Name: ROY AND BETH
Trailer: BIGFOOT 21 FB
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Nice little tents right outside the windows work wonders.
And the kids will like it better,and you get some privacy
nefldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:17 AM   #10

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefldiver View Post
And the kids will like it better,and you get some privacy
Depends on the kids. We tried that route, and once the novelty wore off they wanted back inside the trailer.

Sigh.... It was nice while it lasted!

I grew up with 3 siblings camping in a large pop-up. I started using my own tent as soon as I had one to use. The others were content to sleep in the big house. Among the 4 of us, I'm the only one that continued camping as an adult.

Different strokes...
Old 08-20-2018, 09:27 AM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Get a van with folding bunks. the kids will soon want their own space to stay up all night playing video games and other such I'll habits.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:39 PM   #12

Name: Scott
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth C. View Post
Not to stir the pot, but I’ll mention a thread on here where someone installed a bunk across the foot of the big bed. Voila!
This is how we fit our three inside ours. Our 4yo sleeps in a cot that I cobbled together using some lumber and a piece of canvas. He sleeps above our feet, and the other two are in the bunks. Working well for us right now.
mrscottyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:23 PM   #13

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Instead of small tents you might consider creating a dual purpose "family room" with one of the 10x10 E-Zup canopies that has an optional tent under it. That way you will have a bug free space with screens and a floor. Room for cooking, eating, games, naps and lots of space for sleeping cots. Nowadays there a lots of options for LED battery lighting. Some of the tents even have built in small velco secured flaps in the lower sides for bringing in an electric cord. Of course this presumes that you are not camping in bear country. If you are camping in that kind of location everyone has to sleep in a hard sided structure such as the car and the trailer. In that case you might want to consider using a conversion van for the tow vehicle, the style where the seats fold into beds. You can buy such seats as an aftermarket option. Vans and families go together like peanut butter and jelly.
https://www.ezup.com/camping
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:55 PM   #14

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Depends on the kids. We tried that route, and once the novelty wore off they wanted back inside the trailer.

Sigh.... It was nice while it lasted!

I understand that!

Last month I had a site next to a large family who set up two or three tents. Tents that were in addition to the camping trailer they had. A number of mostly per-pubsent teens took up residence in the soft-sided shelters which I suspect violated the rules about the number of structures that were allowed on a single site.

Well... about three AM a good storm rolled in and something woke me. I looked out my window to see that all the kids had climbed out of their snug sleeping quarters with head lamps shining brightly to hastily erect the rainflys over their tents. Apparently they had not paid attention to the weather forecast.

I then rolled over and went back to sleep in my dry Scamp.

The next morning I noticed that my neighbors had hung a large number of items out to dry on lines strung between the trees.

Yup, tents are OK for young people, until they realize the benefits of a hard sided camper.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:03 PM   #15

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
But first you have to...

Hi Nancy,

I think you have to install a basement prior to building triple bunks... maybe larger wheels would be in order too.... and a lift kit.

Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:26 PM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
indeed, a triple bunk, you have what, 6 feet or so floor to ceiling ? those bunks are gonna be CLOSE together! if you figure each bunk deck plus mattress is 6" thick, that leaves 4.5 feet of vertical space between the 3 bunks... even if the bottom bunk is on the floor, there will only be 18" between each bunk and the bottom of the one above (or the ceiling in the case of the top one).
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:47 PM   #17

Name: Glen
Trailer: trillium
Alberta
sorry about the sideways pics. One bed on the counter, one at the foot of the main bed.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post698457
Sparky0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:25 AM   #18

Registry
Large tents can be cold and are usually as cold outside as inside. A small tent will be about 10° warmer inside than out. Lighter and easier to set up.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:54 AM   #19

Trailer: Scamp 13’
Oregon
I took a tour of my neighbor’s 1974 Shasta. It sleeps 6and achieves that with a canopy/hammock over the big bed. The hammock has sleeves on each for poles that are inserted in holes on the driver and curb side walls to hang horizontally across the trailer, 2-3 feet above the big bed. Tight quarters to be sure, but for a little one it’s definitely doable to achieve your goal. Try looking online for views of Shasta interiors to get a better idea. Good luck! Don’t give up on your goal. Sure, it’s twmproary, everything related to kids is, but that doesn’t make it any less desired.
Out4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:21 AM   #20

Arizona
Registry
A hammock-type bunk is probably not feasible in a molded trailer because of the lack of support framework.

I think a triple bunk up front is, though it would be a fair bit of work, and kids grow fast.

Looking at John's math... There's actually only about 5-1/2' at the front due to the stepped-up frame. But Scamp's bunk platform is only 4" thick- thin for adults, maybe, but fine for kids- so 12" for three bunks. If you start at floor level, that leaves 4-1/2' feet, divided by 3 is 18", give or take. Lower bunk headroom in the OEM set-up is less than that. It's adequate for a smaller adult- I can turn over without hitting the bunk above.

Tags
scamp