Truck bed storage DIY - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2019, 08:30 AM   #1
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Truck bed storage DIY

I built a system to help better organize my camping stuff. It’s made of half inch plywood and is totally removable with no hardware holding it together. Comes apart into six pieces and the drawer if needed. Chorizo approves and is ready for some camping!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7510.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	328.4 KB
ID:	127857
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Truck bed storage

Looks good, Brian!
I am interested in a better solution for all the camping gear, and I dislike crawling on the bedliner floor; hurts the knees!

So this looks like a good approach for use only when camping. I use the entire truck bed space otherwise; but when camping, your modification transforms the space temporarily.

Fran
'74 Compact II
2008 Tacoma, access cab
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:48 PM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
I retrieve stuff from the front of the truck bed with an old broom handle to which I attached a stiff piece of metal from an old bed spring bent to a 90 degree angle. It works great, saves my knees. Drilled a hole in the end of the handle and glued the metal piece in it with gorilla glue. Its a good idea to wrap some wire around the end to keep the wood from splitting.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:35 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by francene View Post
Looks good, Brian!
I am interested in a better solution for all the camping gear, and I dislike crawling on the bedliner floor; hurts the knees!

So this looks like a good approach for use only when camping. I use the entire truck bed space otherwise; but when camping, your modification transforms the space temporarily.

Fran
'74 Compact II
2008 Tacoma, access cab

Thanks Fran!
Yes, I also have to be able to use my whole truck bed at times so this can all come out.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:36 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
I retrieve stuff from the front of the truck bed with an old broom handle to which I attached a stiff piece of metal from an old bed spring bent to a 90 degree angle. It works great, saves my knees. Drilled a hole in the end of the handle and glued the metal piece in it with gorilla glue. Its a good idea to wrap some wire around the end to keep the wood from splitting.

Yep. I used something similar in my old truck and will probably do a new one for this set up .
Old 02-13-2019, 01:27 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Registry
Still making a few mods to this set up, but tests show it's going work out. Plywood pieces are finally getting spray painted this week!
Old 02-13-2019, 01:37 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
My sense is that I would keep only light stuff on top of the platform, limiting the heavier stuff to the bottom to keep it from coming through the rear window in an emergency stop. Otherwise pretty tidy.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:10 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Registry
Yep Steve, that's sort of the plan. Without the platform I had camping totes stacked two high and it was a pain. They were as high as one tote up on the platform will be. Definitely will keep an eye on them.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:35 PM   #9

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I have a 2011 Tundra 4x4 5.7L. I have a fiberglass camper shell with tilting side windows and a bed slide. I then use eight stackable blue plastic open top bins, four to each side. That leaves the center open for long items such as canopies and chairs. Works very well, I can reach everything without having to crawl inside or pull containers out.
But...This really cuts into my payload capacity. If I had it to do over again I would do something like Brian has done, however, I would have to make it as light weight as possible. Ultimately I may even have to buy a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck. Yuck. I like my Tundra.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:42 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Registry
Those sliding beds are very nice but they do cut into payload because of their weight. I’m probably at around 100 lbs for the whole setup. I think my all in costs were under $200 also.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:44 AM   #11

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlD View Post

Got basically the same thing from Amazon. Yeah, I make clocks and cards using rubber stamps, but that's as far as my make-it-yourself skills go.

they also have a telescoping version. I got the one that doesn't and it fits on the ledge around the edge of the truck bed where the canopy attaches.

https://www.amazon.com/Access-70950-...s=ez+retriever

I also have a couple of gardening foam pads in case I do have to crawl around in the back of the truck.

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote