tv ceiling mount - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #1

Trailer: 2004 Scamp 13 ft
tv ceiling mount

Hi all -

Just got a new 19' Escape trailer... oh! she's a beauty! A HUGE step up from my 13' Scamp in amenities! (HOT water! a bath! an oven!)

I'm trying to figure out how to mount a 16" tv in the rear corner under the cabinets and over the foot of the bed. I think I've got the wiring figured out now and I think I have the reinforcement for the mount figured out (there's a flying saucer antenna mounted through in that corner and braced by the cabinet, I believe - can't see in due to bulkheads).

Now I'm looking for a mount. I thought a standard under counter type mount might work, but I think the tv will sit too high for comfy, cozy bed viewing. I think it needs to hang about 10/12" below the cabinet. (The tv is very tiny and not the one in the picture).

I'm having a time trying to find a mount that seems sturdy enough and short enough to use in that corner. Anyone have any success with something like that?

Thanks,
Carol
Attached Images

Carol A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Carol,
Now that you have an Escape you will have to update your avatar!! Do you have your tv yet? Is it 12v or 120v? I have had good luck with Jensen 12v 15" LED HDTV with a digital antenna system. It is real light, less than 5 lbs so they make a drop down mounts that would be ideal for your corner.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #3

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I don't think I understand the question?
I was following it OK when you said you thought the undercounter mount would leave it too high but then that seems to contradict your line about finding one short enough????

Here is a mount I use a lot and it provides some decent drop from the overhead support and it is adjustable.
Don't know if it has enough drop but I have used there in several different eggs with great results.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...MAM#ps-sellers

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Take a look a my trailer register for a photo of my 19" TV mounted in the back corner. I searched high and low for a bracket that would allow me to take the TV off and on fast. When the TV is off you can not see it. A number of people have used it since. If you search here you should be able to find the full link to the details and where to get.... currently not able to access that info but if you are wanting more details send me a PM and when I get home will send them to you.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #5

Hi all - the tv is just a little inexpensive 16" Viewsonic 110v type... I had an inverter put in the trailer during the build, so I'm wired up for inverter use when off the grid (most of my camping). Ed - I'm glad to hear that mount works... I've been looking at it online but was unsure of its sturdiness.... that's about the "drop" (from the cabinet) I'm looking for... and Carol H - I haven't searched on yours yet, but a quick release is certainly in my mind...

I'm looking for "easy, sturdy and works right".... this will be the very first holes I drill into the trailer and I'm scared (SCARED! I tell ya'!) - I'm trying to get it right the first time...
Old 03-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Simple TV Mount

Our goal is to have a mount that quickly allows the TV to be mounted and dismounted since when driving we place the TV face down on the dinette bench's cushion.

We mount a hook on the back of the TV using the standard mounting holes. If you're interested I can add another picture.

The TV hangs from this hook to mount on a brass clip. The brass clip mounts to a U bolt that goes thru two holes in the bottom of a cabinet.

It actually takes seconds to mount the TV. The power and signal cord are long enough to stay connected in either position, up or down.

We recently upgraded to a $150 19" Vizio TV because we could no longer read the captions our 15" due to aging eyes.
Attached Thumbnails
TV Mount.jpg   TV1.jpg  

tv.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #7

Registry
Carol a old thread with lots of photos (including mine) of different options is located here
Old 03-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Have used this mount with a 19 inch LCD

Premier Mounts Universal Flip-Down Mount - FLIP - Mounting kit for Flat panel

Leehman
Leehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #9

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
You are correct that it needs to be sturdy to deal with cantilevered wgt even of a small LCD TV. The one I have has a quadrant adjustment but won't quite hold the TV vertical. Not a problem in my case as we watch while lying down and from the front dinette only my wife can see it and I have no problem with the orientation of "radio". Some of the extending "bridge lamp" type appear pretty healthy but I've never installed one so wouldn't know what to recommend. I got mine on ebay for $19; mounts to underside cabinet; no "stalk" rather just a hinged angle plate which allows adjustment.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #10

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
I used this one in my 13'. A little pricey, but very well made.

PDR Under-Cabinet Mount with Quick Bayonet Release for TVs up to 20 Inches UCMM50

Alice

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #11

that's it!

Carol H - I think that's what I'm looking for... the extension is just right (I measured this morning)... do you have a rough estimate on the size of the mounting plate? maybe about 6" in diameter?

I don't mind the price so much if it will work for years to come.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #12

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
I sugguest finding a moutn and make a metal backing that goes insie the cabinet and make it removalable when you travel. The weight of the TV on the mount when going over some highways can do some damage. and this way you can use the TV in the house when not camping.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #13

Name: Don
Trailer: 17.5 Bigfoot
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol A. View Post
Carol H - I think that's what I'm looking for... the extension is just right (I measured this morning)... do you have a rough estimate on the size of the mounting plate? maybe about 6" in diameter?

+1 on Carol's and Alice's under cabinet mount. I just bought one and am very pleased with it....especially the quick release.

PDR Under-Cabinet Mount with Quick Bayonet Release for TVs up to 20 Inches UCMM50

I cut a piece of 3/8" plywood 5 1/4" x 7 1/2'' which I placed inside the cupboard for extra support and used long enough bolts to secure everything. When the mount base is centred on the block of wood, there's a 1/2'' of extra space all around the base.
Don Dunsmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #14

Trailer: Casita
Television mount

Premiermounts.com
FLIP model
LK Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol A. View Post

I am away from home so I cant tell you for sure - but do you mean the mounting plate secured to the underside of the overhead bin? If so I can tell you it is not 6" its a bit smaller than that. It sits very flush to the overhead so when the TV is off you do not notice it. I use it for a 19" flat screen which I take down when traveling and put under the bed covers. I use push plugs for all the cables to the DVD player above so its easy & fast to disconnect.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #16

Trailer: Casita
TV mount

Carol H,
It looks to be just a taste under 6" long X 2" wide. If you need an exact measurement I'll be happy to check it again in the daylite. Or maybe call the manufacturer?
I don't take the TV down for traveling. It stays up all of the time. Not sure of the layout in your trailer, but it is adjustable vertically if need be.
In the Casita, it's mounted to the underside of a cabinet. The cabinet is very thin fiberglass. So, I made a plywood insert that goes inside the cabinet to spread the weight a bit.
LK Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:13 PM   #17

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
I used this locking cantilever mount on my Escape 19 and mounted it to the bulkhead edge between the kitchen and the bed. It will actually swing both ways so you can see the TV while eating breakfast or in bed, and when you travel you can latch it in place up against the bulkhead

Mcnaughton Inc - Locking Cantilever Mount - 94139 - TV Accessories - Camping World

Regards,

Matt
Old 03-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LK Gray View Post
Carol H,
It looks to be just a taste under 6" long X 2" wide. If you need an exact measurement I'll be happy to check it again in the daylite. Or maybe call the manufacturer?
I don't take the TV down for traveling. It stays up all of the time. Not sure of the layout in your trailer, but it is adjustable vertically if need be.
In the Casita, it's mounted to the underside of a cabinet. The cabinet is very thin fiberglass. So, I made a plywood insert that goes inside the cabinet to spread the weight a bit.
I dont think I would leave a TV up on the mount type I have while traveling - it doesnt lock up - if the TV needs to stay up then I would look at some of the heavier duty type holders. It is really easy to take down though - just one small clip to release it..
Old 03-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #19

Thanks, Matt - I went ahead and ordered Carol Hi's solution... I had wanted to not take down the tv, but everything else about the mount seems right...

I did play with the placement on the "kitchen" wall but even with the 16" tv, I can't seem to tuck it neatly into the corner... part of it peeks out out from behind the wall and on this tv, all the cable and sound hookups are on the side that shows...

So, it just won't work for me there.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:52 AM   #20

LK - don't bother measuring.... I finally figured out that I'll just make it work whatever size it is... if it's fitting others, it'll fit mine... but thanks for the offer...