Two-person dinette - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2005, 03:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 15 ft
Send a message via ICQ to Ken James
Several years ago my wife and I decided that for two retirees, who rarely took others along, we wanted a place to sleep and a place to eat without making up a bed. So, this is how we solved that problem. Most of these little trailers have the bunk across the front and a dinette at the rear that made up into a bed. We tore out the front bunks and built this little dinette in it's place. At the rear we left the bed made up at all times. We felt it would be useful to post the pictures of this mod again on account of the hijacking.
Attached Thumbnails
new_table_final_stitched.JPG  
Ken James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 03:43 PM   #2

Later, we decided to further improve this mod by building the porta-potti in under the right hand seat. Here is how we achieved that.

The key to this mod was that little plywood flap that opens to allow access to the potti. What a lifesaver that is in the middle of the night. No loss of floor space this way.

This is in our 1972 Boler 13'
Attached Thumbnails
builtin_porta_potti_1_.jpg  
Old 11-16-2005, 04:16 PM   #3

Di recovered the cushions.

Instructions for recovering are in an album on Webshots here: http://community.webshots.com/user/kjames68
Attached Thumbnails
Di_and_cushions.jpg  
Old 11-16-2005, 04:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Very nice!!!!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 07:45 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
wish you were closer, I would hire you to make me a front eating area. Very Nice!

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 01:45 AM   #6

Here it is with the hardwood floors
Attached Thumbnails
bf7.jpg  
Old 11-17-2005, 12:40 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
I do like that mod and the floors.
nice job.
Larry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 04:37 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Hi all: I am relatively new to this site.
I love this modification and hope to duplicate it somewhat.
We have a 16' Scamp with the bunk beds and side table - no bathroom or storage closet.
Removing the bunk beds and putting in a table is perfect!
This way the bed can stay and not be put away for eating.
Currently we are in the planning stage and checking out what all will need to be done. I hope to post some photos once it gets done (may be by the first of the year?).
I am so glad I found this site.

Kate & Dave
Kate and Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 07:09 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita 13 ft
Quote:
Several years ago my wife and I decided that for two retirees, who rarely took others along, we wanted a place to sleep and a place to eat without making up a bed. So, this is how we solved that problem. Most of these little trailers have the bunk across the front and a dinette at the rear that made up into a bed. We tore out the front bunks and built this little dinette in it's place. At the rear we left the bed made up at all times. We felt it would be useful to post the pictures of this mod again on account of the hijacking.
We plan to buy a 13', which also has bunks in the front (no bathroom). Has anyone ever done this mod on a 13' egg? Would there be room for a small dinette up front instead of the bunks.
Louise
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:31 PM   #10

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Hi Luise.

Yes, you could do it with a 13. I have bounced back and forth on doing mine. The porta potti is the problem, there just isn't anywhere else to put it in a Burro unless you have a full time bed. That is something I don't want.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 01:21 AM   #11

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie
Since it has finally stopped raining up here in Washington, I can maybe get started on the mod I have in mind. I want to keep the ability to have the bunkbeds, as I have two small grandson who love to go camping with me (and I don';t enjoy getting kicked to death at night!). I do have a permanent bed, (I totally removed the dinette and benches) so my port-a-potty slides right in under that.

I have removed the bottom section of the seat. The fiberglassed 'rib' remains in the trailer. I plan to use the seat as a template to cut a new top out of 3/4" plywood. I will cut a knee-hole in the middle where I want the table to be. I will use more plywood as uprights for sides on the seats. I plan to keep the couch back in place, so it can be raised to make the top bunk. A piece of plywood will bridge the gap in the knee-hole to make the bottom bunk. Access will be cut into the top of the seats for the storage compartments. I plan to use one of those plastic 'personal' tables for the eating area. Large pillows will be the seats themselves. Pics to follow as work progress (rain holding, not freezing outside!)
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:02 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita 13 ft
Thanks for sending all your modifications -- all very interesting. I think we need to get the 13-footer first to see if we really need the modification.
But I did have a thought about yet another idea and have no idea if it could fit. Instead of having 2 seats in the little dinette (replacing the bunks), has anyone tried to add a closet on the right as you walk into the trailer, then have a fold-down table attached to the closet wall, and then a seat in the far corner. We have worked this out in our small campervan where we have a very small fold-down table attached to a closet door. One person sits on the bed and the other on a fold-up stool (which we bungie against a wall during traveling. So I thought with the 13-footer we could perhaps do almost the same arrangement, except we wouldn't have to use the bed this time having so much more room up front, and would also end up having some more storage room. Not really sure yet how much storage we'll need since we will also have the towing vehicle to put stuff in, which we've never had before. OK, I guess I'm just rambling, but wanted to pass on my thoughts.
Still looking for our "egg".
Louise
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:26 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Louise, I don't think there's enough room between the edge of the front window molding and the side of the trailer to make much of a closet...at least in my opinion. The effort to build the closet would be more than the space you'd gain for storage.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 01:01 PM   #14

The pictures shown earlier on this thread are of our 15' Trillium, but, we did a similar mod to the 13' Boler we had before that. The mods appear on our web site below. The modification works just fine on a 13'. One could make the table to bridge the seats and create another single bed when needed.

I still say the built in porta-potti, with the plywood flap, is the best mod we ever did. No need to slide the potti out when needed so there is no loss of floor space at night.

Good luck to anyone contemplating this mod.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:24 PM   #15

Trailer: 13 ft 1980 Burro
I did an almost identical modification on my 13' Burro. I also made the front table to bridge the opening between the seats. This way, if my son goes camping with me, we have an extra single bed. I would post pics, but the trailer is covered and the cover is piled up with snow. Maybe in the spring?

Bob
Bob Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 12:32 PM   #16

Trailer: 83 Scamp 13 ft
That Looks Great! I don't even have a Scamp yet and I already look forward to doing this mod. One question though, Did you cut the existing Fiberglass or just remove it and replace it with wood? This would be in a Scamp 13' Thanks in advance, I've learned so much from this site already.
UncleJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 02:12 PM   #17

Quote:
That Looks Great! I don't even have a Scamp yet and I already look forward to doing this mod. One question though, Did you cut the existing Fiberglass or just remove it and replace it with wood? This would be in a Scamp 13' Thanks in advance, I've learned so much from this site already.

I cut the fiberglass locker out with a saber saw and left about a one inch flange sticking out. That gave me something to bolt the seat boxes to after I drilled that area. I had to build up with wood to get the height to clear the porta-potti. We used fiberglass cloth and resin to mold the seats to the walls. If you cut a tee shape in the insulation you can fold it out of the way until you finish and then fold it back over. Then we put resin in the seams and the job was neatly finished.
Attached Thumbnails
PP.JPG  
Old 02-22-2006, 09:33 AM   #18

Trailer: 87 U-Haul CT13
As a newbie to the site, I figure it's time for me to throw in my 2 cents. I am in the process of adding a front dinette to the front of my '87 UHaul 13 footer. Attached are two pictures:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinette.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	1414

Right now, it's my wife, myself, and our baby (Rosie, our 50 # lap dog). We figured this would be the most efficient use of space in our UHaul, allowing us to leave the rear bed made up full-time and still allowing a two-person dinette for eating. It also gave us a place to set the TV. In our UHaul, the bunk is attached to its hinge by several bolts. I simply removed those bolts and the bunk, leaving the hinge (that's what the TV shelf is mounted on). I then cut a piece of plywood for the table, screwed a small piece of 2X4 to the bottom of it to receive one end of a 1/2" steel tube, and screwed another piece of 1X2 to the side of the camper on which the other end of the table rests. The only thing left is to make the cushions. We haven't taken the camper out since I built the table, but I imagine it will work well once we do.
Attached Thumbnails
Dinette2.jpg  
jasoncarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:30 AM   #19

Trailer: 83 Scamp 13 ft
Very nicely done. I'm sure there are alot of couples out there with little eggs that would really like this mod. My wife and I are going to Phoenix next week but after we get back we are going to look at our future 13' Scamp!!! I cant wait.
UncleJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:06 PM   #20

Trailer: 87 U-Haul CT13
My in-laws have a Scamp 13', and I'm pretty sure that the front bunk setup in the Scamps is identical to mine (i.e. the hinge attached to the front, the poles that fold down and rest in the detents on the seats). I didn't have to do any cutting of the fiberglass, to answer your earlier question. Also, I forgot to add that I cut the table such that it bridges the gap between the seats to make a third bed.
jasoncarder is offline   Reply With Quote