U-Haul CT 13 Bed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #1

Name: Bruce & Kaye
Trailer: U-Haul 13ct
Georgia
Registry
U-Haul CT 13 Bed

We just purchased from Wal-Mart online a 6" memory foam mattress, we ordered the full size. It was FREE shipping and got here in 2 days! We removed it from the box, package bag & plastic. Then unzipped it, cut thru the protective liner, then using the corner cushion to get the curved shape, traced around it. We triple checke the measurement, added 2" for "just in case", placed a board under it to lift it off the ground, and cut it using an electric knife. (If you don't have one, I found mine at a garage sale for .50, Ive used it tons of times, mostly to cut foam, foam board, the occasional ham) The electric knife worked perfectly, nice clean edge. We checked for fit. (Perfect the first time, nice and snug). Since we had left the protective liner on, we simply duct taped it closed again, zippered the case up, tucked it under the mattress & TA-DA, custom mattress! So much easier to make, to move & the comfort of a single mattress! It cost us 120.00 plus tax. The excess trimmed pieces I'll use as shams when I make the bedcover.
BruceandKaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Great idea. I don't have an electric knife, but found that a dollar store steak knife stuck in a sabre saw works, too.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #3

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceandKaye View Post
We just purchased from Wal-Mart online a 6" memory foam mattress, we ordered the full size. It was FREE shipping and got here in 2 days! We removed it from the box, package bag & plastic. Then unzipped it, cut thru the protective liner, then using the corner cushion to get the curved shape, traced around it. We triple checke the measurement, added 2" for "just in case", placed a board under it to lift it off the ground, and cut it using an electric knife. (If you don't have one, I found mine at a garage sale for .50, Ive used it tons of times, mostly to cut foam, foam board, the occasional ham) The electric knife worked perfectly, nice clean edge. We checked for fit. (Perfect the first time, nice and snug). Since we had left the protective liner on, we simply duct taped it closed again, zippered the case up, tucked it under the mattress & TA-DA, custom mattress! So much easier to make, to move & the comfort of a single mattress! It cost us 120.00 plus tax. The excess trimmed pieces I'll use as shams when I make the bedcover.
It all sounds VERY tempting and I have an electric knife! (the ole sleeping bag has worked well but a really nice comfortable bed would be great for the !) Thanks for this info!

Tags
u-haul