Uhaul questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #1

Name: Jane and Greg
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
South Carolina
Uhaul questions

We want to replace the original cooler with small refrigerator. Can anyone suggest a particular model that fits? Also, thinking of redoing the cabinet doors. Would like to see pics of other CT owner's magic. Afraid to use furnace. Are there small electric heaters that fit in furnace space? Love our new 2nd home. And, we stay up extra late perusing FGRV.Com. You are all so smart!
Jane and Greg, rPad2 owners.
Jane SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:37 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Jane. Fortunately all the brands are more similar than different. Cabinet door changes occur in all types. I've seen diamond plate, picture frame w/ glass inserts, wire mesh inserts, etc. The decision is what you'd like to do. Here's a topic about interiors... pay attention to the doors http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ors-25341.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:23 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Jane: Why redo the cabinet doors? I made repairs to our furnace but haven't used it while camping yet. We were just out almost a month with our Uhaul, and wanted heat all but two nights, so we used a small electric heater that has a thermostat. It's the type referred to as a "milk house heater". We used that type because we already had it, but may buy a different one from Walmart. We just set it on the floor. It has a small fan in it to move the heat. If you do remove your furnace, I would be interested in buying it, We'll be back that way in April. Don't forget the gas line will have to be plugged off.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If you always have plug in electricity, a small electric cube heater is a good choice. I'd also encourage you to think twice about changing the doors, but if you do, please share the old ones with others trying to restore their campers to original.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #5

South Carolina
Well, the doors are different colors and the cooler door is cracked, I did it, poor little camper, 20 + years old, and poof,i within 3 weeks, I smushed door. All parts we are not using are being stored, so it can be put back to original if we ever part with Paddy. Have read threads about electrical and is Greek to us. But on our two outings, we just plug in to electricity and, we have lights. We are so new at all of this, but having fun. Thanks to all of you for the information. Donna, you must be the FGRV guru. I am slowly figuring out the thread thing and digging for info. Your direction is most helpful.

Stopped at a RV place and nice man flipped our newly installed hitch ball up instead of down, gave us at least 4 more inches and camper much more level while towing and not so close to road, see, I told you we are renters that know not much about campers!

Greg sprayed bumper black, I used hair dryer to remove old cruddy stickers that we're on it, no, not UHaul stickers.

Carpet store around corner from KOA, and Darrell followed us back to campsite and cut new pad and carpet for us in, like, 15 minutes. Pretty excited I was to have it for our New Year's eve camp party. That's another story.

Got comments and gave tours to curious other campers while at Statesville East Koa in NC. Best observation was from a man passing by: " Hey, do you have a BIG dog for that BIG doghouse?" Bet not many Uhaul CT''s have ever been called BIG!
Old 01-03-2012, 05:40 AM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
You will hear again and again, "I did not know Insult rented trailers."

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
CindyL was replying on her phone, so pardon the typo in the previous message. It should have read "...UHaul rented trailers."

By the way, we use a cat5 Wave heater, a small cube electric, and/or our AC built in heating element. Usually the AC heating element is enough, though it's really cold in St. Augustine this morning, so we have two heaters on.

We have a small dorm fridge, too. Works well but the opening had to be enlarged a bit.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #8

Registry
And I am still cold!

CindyL
Old 01-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #9

New York
Jane: That's the best idea, keep all the original parts. And do you know that the bumper is aluminum so you could strip off the paint and polish it up to look like a chrome bumper. Like that carpet deal, camp & get new carpet all in one stop! Kevin & Cindy: what campground are you in? We just returned home from a 3 week stay at Jekyll Island GA, and used our electric heater every night except one. We took a small dorm refridgerator with us but put it on the picnic table in our screen room. Worked real good for us. Looks like next year we'll have to go further south into Florida to get warmer temps. Planning on 2 to 3 months in the south next winter so we can qualify as real snowbirds. Probably drift around Florida and maybe visit family in Texas. Tired of snow & cold, but I had promised my part time job that I would come back in January, wish I hadn't committed to that!
Old 01-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #10

South Carolina
Bob and Mary -Greg thanks you for the tip on bumper. Is yours stripped to the aluminum? Would love to see a pic. You convinced me to keep the doors on. Thanks. We can't stand it. Came back from second trip in Paddy on Sunday and have already made plans to stay at Ashville, NC West KOA this Thurs, Fri, Sat. Having too much fun.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #11

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A
CindyL was replying on her phone, so pardon the typo in the previous message. It should have read "...UHaul rented trailers."

By the way, we use a cat5 Wave heater, a small cube electric, and/or our AC built in heating element. Usually the AC heating element is enough, though it's really cold in St. Augustine this morning, so we have two heaters on.

We have a small dorm fridge, too. Works well but the opening had to be enlarged a bit.
Kevin, where is the built in heating element? We are afraid to use the furnace.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #12

New York
Jane, You don't have the built in heating element, because you don't have an A/C unit. Don't blame you for not wanting to use the furnace. Years ago I worked on propane and oil heating equipment, and I don't quite trust ours enough to sleep with it on. We've been very comfortable using an electric heater. One time at a campground with no electric hookup we used a Mr Heater buddy heater to warm up the trailer, but shut it off when we went to bed. The trailer battery was too low to work the furnace . Our bumper is painted, no plans to polish it, I spend enough time polishing our all aluminum teardrop. Glad you're both enjoying your Uhaul, we're wishing we were still out with ours.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #13

New York
Important note on heating, remember that any type heater that burns fuel or has a flame will consume oxygen in your trailer and emit other products of combustion such as carbon monoxide. If using such a heater, a candle, the stove, etc., open a window to provide fresh air. A window slightly open when sleeping in a small space is a good idea. Be safe, always!!!
Old 01-04-2012, 04:35 AM   #14

Registry
Jane we put in a new propane heater and do not use it. It is too near the bed to be safe.

CindyL
Old 01-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #15

New York
Jane: here's another thought on using an electric heater. Our CT had a single 110 outlet that is fed through a small circuit breaker, that's the little button on top of the outlet box. It may not be heavy enough for a heater. I removed that breaker and installed a double outlet, and we then plugged a strip outlet box into that. The cord supplied with the trailer is a good heavy one. Campgrounds have breakers at their power sources, we also have a ground fault adapter with three outlets that we can use with the trailer or on an extension cord from camp power into our screen house. See the Uhaul repair manual about the electric outlet as some were wired wrong, ours was. You can get a simple plug in tester to check it.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:29 AM   #16

South Carolina
You have convinced us. No propane for us. It seems like anywhere we camp there will be electric. Bob, the tips on the wiring sound good. Nick Smoak with Lil Snoozy here in Columbia said he'd stop one of these days and check out our windows, wires, etc. Happy about that.

Do your cupboard doors have trim around them and if so, what kind? Ours are just the rough cut fiberglass.

Off to the Smokey Mountains this pm. Has anyone stayed at the KOA Asheville West?
Old 01-05-2012, 06:35 AM   #17

Registry
We have propane but have not used it since we got the Coleman outdoor oven. In fact, we have not cooked inside since then, except for the microwave. We just always find electricity.

CindyL
Old 01-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #18

New York
Trim around the cupboard doors?? I assume you mean around the opening. Our cupboards have the fiberglass liners in them. The early production trailers did not have them, they were standard on the later production trailers I believe, and were supposed to be installed on the early models by the Uhaul dealers. I think they are mentioned as a modification in the Uhaul repair manual, along with some changes in the propane system and the electric outlet repair. Do your cupboard doors have latches on them, ours are missing probably because they wouldn't work with the liners installed. The furnace puts out a lot of heat when they are working properly, but at campgrounds with electric we preferred an electric heater as there was no propane use involved. On our recent trip south we took a toaster oven and a small crockpot, plus a small dorm fridge and Keurig coffee pot. We should have returned home via Columbia to compare trailers Jane, but had plans for some stops along the coast. We'll do it next trip. Bob
Old 01-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
....... Do your cupboard doors have latches on them, ours are missing probably because they wouldn't work with the liners installed. .........
My CT13 has cupboard liners with latches. There is a slot cut in the fiberglass for the latch to engage.

With no liner you can trim the hole with edging similar to what is in front of the furnace and down the center of the outside. I bought 20' at JC Whitney for $13.70, Part #: FAI034220. There are free shipping coupons on line.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #20

New York
Thomas: I have actually seen only one other CT13, and it had the cupboard liners with the slots for the latch to engage. That type latch is different than on the cupboards that originally did not have liners. A trim piece would not allow the old style latch to work. What is the latch on your closet door, same as cupboards, or is it the type as we have where you push in the latch on the doors edge to open it. That is what our cupboards had originally, and won't work with the liners. To keep our cupboards shut while traveling I installed a small ubolt at the far end of each cupboard door near the bottom, slide a wood dowel through, and a hairpin type clip on the ends. Just couldn't find a latch that would work, and needed a quick fix. It keeps the doors shut and contents from spilling out. Bob

Tags
uhaul