Ultimate Camping Coffee Brewer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300
Ultimate Camping Coffee Brewer

I bought one of these off of Amazon to have in my Boler.

I have a Keurig K-Cup machine at home and have an assortment of different coffees and wanted to bring them with us while camping, and bringing the machine was out of the question. My search turned up this, the CafeJo My French Press.

It comes with 3 adapters, one to use K-Cups, one for coffee pods and the other for the traditional loose coffee grounds.

You simply screw the adapter to the bottom of the cylinder, then screw the bottom resovior on, fill the cylinder with hot water and slowly plunge down with the blue plunger. In seconds you are done.

You dont really need the bottom resiviour, I simply place it over my coffee cup and then plunge down, the coffee then just drips straight into my cup.

If you like you coffee a bit stronger, then you can pour the brewed coffee back into the cylinder and run it through a second time. With this setup, you can also use hot hot milk instead of water and make a cappuccino/frappe style java.

Attached Thumbnails
cafejo01.jpg   cafejo02.jpg  

cafejo03.jpg  
Jayson Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #2

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Jayson

Looks good, we have a keurig we thought we'd buy for our upcoming trailer, but this is great idea, especially if wanting to boondock - heat water in kettle, then pour into this unit. Hope you'll have it prominently on display for the tour at St. Malo, we are coming up for the tour to help us in our purchase decision.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I've had one for about eight months now but have only used it on one camping trip (I usually have electric.) It works very well and is easy to clean. You can also make the coffee directly into a cup (rather than their little pot.)

I have a little hotel-motel Keurig that I do use in the trailer with electric as it has a tiny footprint. I think it is a B130. About $60 on sale at Office Max.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #4

Name: Hillary
Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
Washington
How funny, this looks like a modified AeroPress, which is what I've been using at home and camping for years now. AeroPress® | AEROBIE® High Performance Sport Toys
Old 07-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
It's very similar, Hilary. The advantage of using K-cups, though, is that the coffee stays sealed and fresh until you use it. I understand the aeropress is easy to clean, too, though.

Jayson, a caveat: remove the K-cup before removing the plunger or you can suck grounds back up in to the neck.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Anyone interested in the subject of making coffee might want to read this earlier thread, but make a cup - or pot - of coffee first, to sip while you peruse the 304 posts:
How do you make Coffee?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #7

Washington
HAH wow 304 posts, I think I may skip that one since I have something I'm happy with
I've always detested K-cups because of the waste, just like I hate swiffers and other products that introduce trash into a product that previously had less (or none)! Also, my local coffee roasters don't make anything for it and filling a refillable K-cup, which do exist, would be more trouble than using the AeroPress.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #8

There is an Aeropress reference in post #91 of the big coffee thread. I have had a sample of coffee made in an Aeropress with excellent beans - it was extremely good, in my opinion.

I think that K-cups are an environmental nightmare in miniature. For the CafeJo and similar devices, an ESE pod makes more sense to me. It is still sealed, but it is a compostable bag of coffee in an little bit of envelope (the envelope must go in the garbage). No, ESE pods are not widely available, so people order them online.

And here's another thread, only 38 posts this time: Coffee Maker discussion. Still no mention of the CafeJo press in the earlier threads.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #9

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
There is an Aeropress reference in post #91 of the big coffee thread. I have had a sample of coffee made in an Aeropress with excellent beans - it was extremely good, in my opinion.
I did search that thread and found a few references to AeroPress use including references to how much coffee people use and how many cups they get that make me think I may have more of a coffee addiction than I'd realized.
I've been grinding a container full before short trips (which is all we've taken so far) but ultimately will probably buy a manual burr grinder when we're ready to go on a longer trip. Which will never be soon enough at the rate we accrue vacation!
Old 07-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #10

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I use "instant" coffee...............(ducks)
I drink every flake and recycle the container for my rusty screws and nails. lol.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillary View Post
How funny, this looks like a modified AeroPress, which is what I've been using at home and camping for years now.
It most definitely is a copy or the AeroPress, which I too have been using for about 5 years now, exclusively on the road, and 50% of the time at home.

As I have mentioned before, I am a bit of a coffee....well, snob for lack of a better word. I roast my own beans to grind fresh right before extraction. These Keurig pods are WAY better than instant (which can hardly be classified as coffee), but lose a ton of good fresh flavour being ground so far ahead of time. Nothing, and I mean nothing, beats the wonderful flavour and aroma of freshly ground coffee, no matter your favourite method of extraction.

Didn't Keurig had a pod you could load your own ground beans into? That would make a marked improvement. But again, it is no different than using the AeroPress.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
I drink every flake and recycle the container for my rusty screws and nails. lol.
I am sorry Carl, but you must take your instant coffee and leave the room, before you are banned from it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Didn't Keurig had a pod you could load your own ground beans into? That would make a marked improvement. But again, it is no different than using the AeroPress.
Yes, but if you are not using a Keurig brewer I don't see much point in all that hardware - I agree just use a French press or Aeropress. I suspect both of those would probably do a better job than pushing water through a K-Cup. The use-your-own-coffee K-cup (called "My K-Cup") is for convenience when the machine you have is a Keurig... and even it doesn't work in commercial-grade Keurig machines like the one in my office.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Someone I know thought that instant was just fine, so one day when they had guests over and made coffee from ground in the typical drip machine, he made it the usual way but put instant coffee in the drip machine's filter basket. Of course there was nothing to filter and the machine just made instant coffee. After everyone had some he told them he was trying a new blend, and asked what they thought - everyone liked it. Of course, a true aficionado such as Jim would have seen through the trick
Old 07-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #15

NE Oklahoma
Quote:
I am sorry Carl, but you must take your instant coffee and leave the room, before you are banned from it.
Ducks head and quietly closes the door..................
Old 07-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
a true aficionado such as Jim
Oo, oo, oo......I like that much better than my self defined snob status.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Ducks head and quietly closes the door..................
Old 07-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #18

NE Oklahoma
Quote:
I'd respond but I've already gone fishin'......
Old 07-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #19

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
One could heat 6 oz. of water, cut the foil top off a K cup and dump the coffee into a paper cone filter. Place the filter in a Mellita drip filter holder, pour in the hot water and get nice hot K cup coffee without spending $25.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #20

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I perc my coffee in a 58yo percolator pot that was part of a wedding present to my parents...traded it off my mom a few years ago for a cable to hook up their dvd player.

I think the keurig's are overpriced and dont like the waste... maybe the refilable cups wouldnt be as bad. I used to have one of these...

made a great cup of coffee but kinda fragile

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote