"Ultimate Jack" removed from market? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2018, 01:24 PM   #1

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
"Ultimate Jack" removed from market?

I have been recommending the Ultimate Jack, which is a replacement front jack that can be raised and lowered to allow tailgates to open. However it appears it has been removed from the market for non-specified reason(s). I have to withdraw my prior recommendations, at least until further information is available.

As of today, the Ultimate Jack website says:
Although we’ve been selling the ultimate jack for several years, because of warranty issues and other factors we have opted to no longer sell the ultimate jack. We apologize to anyone who may have purchased an ultimate jack and had failure(s) but we can no longer in good conscience carry this product. Please stay tuned and check in with us at Big Tex Trailers in Hudson | Rentz Trailer Sales or call us at 800-563-7368.

The strange thing is that rentztrailers is still listing the Ultimate Jack on eBay. Its also still listed at etrailer.

Anyone know what the problem is that has caused a crisis of conscience?

EDIT: I have been informed that (apparently) it was only one distributor of the Ultimate Jack that has elected to stop selling it. The manufacturer still seems to offer it for sale.

I would still like to know what the problem was, esp. if it was something related to the design.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 02:14 PM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Anyone know what the problem is that has caused a crisis of conscience?
Donno, I am very (very I say) happy with mine. As with a lot of things I suspect "operator error". The UJ is a piece of equipment, and its' operation may be more then some can handle. Maybe it is a bidness dispute between this dealer and the manufacturer?
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:31 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
No problems with mine yet. Too bad they didn't explain the issues. I agree some problems may be operator error, some people can screw up anything.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:48 PM   #4

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Mine has worked flawlessly.
Need to make sure the locking pin in set and the hairpin safety is used too.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:40 PM   #5

New York
I have noticed it can be cranked too far, seems to go off the end of the internal threads. I think there is too much play between the base and the tube, to the point I don't trust the lock lever, so I rigged up a safety chain down to the foot pad that I connect while traveling.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:11 AM   #6

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
eTrailer.com still appears to be selling it. I don't get the "Ultimate" thing. It appears to be just an A-frame jack. I have a Fulton and a Bulldog (I think they are the same, but not sure), Reese and Curt also offer A-frame jacks.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:28 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hmmm....first time I've seen this jack. What's its niche...the pins to quick-move it up and down? (Then tweak with the handle?)
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:32 AM   #8

Tennessee
Darral T. , I bought an extension pad that slides up into the tube of the jack with a stopper pin. It does minimize the jacking required as you noted. I am hoping this Ultimate Jack will have some obvious advantage I am not seeing from the picture. If so I will buy it.

But I won't go so far as to buy an electric jack. I need the exercise, and I prefer to keep things simple.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:41 AM   #9

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I bought an Ultimate Jack several years ago but had to return it because it was incompatible with my jack-e-up. It did seem like a very effective jack and I was disappointed I couldn't use it.

Walt
Old 03-28-2018, 11:43 AM   #10

New York
The idea of the Ultimate Jack is that it can be dropped down to allow a truck tailgate to open, or SUV rear door to open. Pull out the "hairpin", turn the lever, and it slides up or down in the mounting base. I thought it could be pulled up and out of the base but it can't. I modified mine to allow that, but found I don't need to pull it right out, so never have.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:06 PM   #11

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
There is one that's built to remove when travelling. I had that one on my Bigfoot and liked it a lot. Forget the brand name. No conflict with tailgate and no chance of bottoming out on poorly designed entrances etc.

Oops, oh yeah. That's what the jack-e-up does. Sorry, forgot.

Walt
Old 03-28-2018, 12:32 PM   #12

Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
a friend called

a friend called today he bought a 2009 Cadillac he wanted to know about a hitch. I looked one up on amazon I cannot believe they have one someone returned 25.00 off a new one. they claim a few scratches well it will have some after installing it!

I suspect they tried to put it on and it was too hard it will take a newbie 3 hours to put it on not 40ms as they and curt claim.

I guess anyone can screw anything up I had a el. tongue jack I loved that thing but it had no stops on it. why wouldn't you watch what you are doing?

I wonder sometimes!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:58 PM   #13

Hey Tn. neighbor...I didnt want to "buy" electric so I did my OWN electrification! This was done years ago and for fun, I made a vid clip of the mod. Not sure if I ever posted it here or not, but here goes!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/50351683@N08/4997138498/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Darral T. , I bought an extension pad that slides up into the tube of the jack with a stopper pin. It does minimize the jacking required as you noted. I am hoping this Ultimate Jack will have some obvious advantage I am not seeing from the picture. If so I will buy it.

But I won't go so far as to buy an electric jack. I need the exercise, and I prefer to keep things simple.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:45 PM   #14

Tennessee
Darral T.

Wow...Wow...Wow...

Saw the video. You know where I stated I did not want an electric jack because I needed the exercise or some silly crap like that?

Just changed my mind. VERY spot on. Especially since you can do manual also.

Thank you very much.

Went back to view the video a 2nd time and it would not let me do it. But I done gots the idea, that's all I really need.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:53 PM   #15

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Hmmm....first time I've seen this jack. What's its niche...the pins to quick-move it up and down? (Then tweak with the handle?)
Pretty much. I needed/wanted a new jack anyway. I had to remove the old swinging one because I needed that side to install a sway bar and not interfere with the plug on the other side. And no, I will not debate the sway bar, it is very effective and I like it and it gives me piece of mind for my money and effort installing it.

Anyway, since I had to relocate the jack and the middle of the "A" frame was the only place left the Ultimate Jack seemed the best solution. I really, really like it and it works just like it is supposed to. I camp on some severely sloped sites, one in particular at least one weekend a month almost year round, and the Ultimate Jack (and some blocks under the wheels) makes short work of leveling.

Seriously, on my favorite campsite the tongue is just a few inches off the ground when I am level. My old swinging jack would not even work under those conditions and any other jack would take a TON of cranking to accomplish the same thing. Did I mention I really, really like the Ultimate Jack?

Your mileage may very, closed course and professional driver, no animals were harmed in the filming, do not attempt at home under any circumstances, shipping/handling/taxes/fees extra.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:53 PM   #16

Didnt expect THAT kind of response out of it. But thanks! For what it's worth, that was a mod I did 5 months after buying my Scamp new in 2010. After cranking and cranking in Tennessee's hot humid climate, I KNEW there had to be a better way! I already had the drill so that mod cost me virtually nothing but a little time.

Roll the clock forward to 2018, nearly 8 yrs later, it's still works perfectly with never ONE hiccup! I also modified a "scissor jack" to use my drill that way to use to raise and lower my Scamp when placing my jack stands during storage.

Not sure why the vid wouldnt play a second time, but it should. I included the jpg of the coupling nut which is the key to the mod. The other is replacing the handle's rod with a 1/2" dia rod with 1/2" threads on the one end for the nut. Then of course drilling the holes for the rolled pins could be a little tricky without a drill press but an ole "buddy" might have one that could do it for you. Good luck and PM if you need anymore info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Darral T.

Wow...Wow...Wow...

Saw the video. You know where I stated I did not want an electric jack because I needed the exercise or some silly crap like that?

Just changed my mind. VERY spot on. Especially since you can do manual also.

Thank you very much.

Went back to view the video a 2nd time and it would not let me do it. But I done gots the idea, that's all I really need.
Attached Thumbnails
Coupling Nut.JPG  
Old 03-28-2018, 03:47 PM   #17

Tennessee
Thanks for the attachment, makes it a bit easier to fabricate.