Unbelievable RV Antenna - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2014, 03:22 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Florida
Unbelievable RV Antenna

I just sold my 2012 Nomad with a crank up Winegard antenna. The antenna at a local campsite would at best p/u 2 stations. They were in and out not even worth watching. I sold the Nomad and bought a Scamp with no antenna so I thought I would try the "Clearstream 2V" OMG what a difference same campsite and we now get 63 channels. Every one is crystal clear and I only have it elevated less than 10'. It's worth every penney and if you would like to try one buy it from Wal-Mart as they have a 15 day return policy. If it dosen't work for you just return it but if your having issues with reception this is a winner at $68 and compact!!

Here is the link:
Clearstream 2V-J3: TV & Video : Walmart.com
Mike-N-Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:27 PM   #2

Florida
I'm picking up stations over 50+ miles away crystal clear but for it to work properly it needs to be mounted outside..
Old 06-22-2014, 05:03 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I use this Philips antenna. I think it's been discontinued but is available on-line for under $20. I put it on a 10' mast attached to the tongue jack and power it from the USB port on the TV. I'm 60 miles from LA and pick up 80+ channels.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Philips SDV8622T/27 Indoor/Outdoor Digital TV Antenna

Lots of reviews

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:21 PM   #4

Florida
Bob the Clearstream 2V has 422 five star reviews on Amazon and
86 four star reviews. Again if you try it from Wal-Mart, 15 day
return policy and no shipping back to Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direc...pr_product_top

The Philips has 7 five star reviews, 3 four star reviews on Amazon.
But if it works for you thats great.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:42 PM   #5

Those are certainly good recommendations that I would follow, but the smaller size, ease of mounting and much lower price has it's pluses as well.

I've installed the Philips antenna on three FGRV's and two houses, (when they were $60-75) so you can add 5 more 5 star reviews LOL

Old 06-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I use this Philips antenna. I think it's been discontinued but is available on-line for under $20. I put it on a 10' mast attached to the tongue jack and power it from the USB port on the TV. I'm 60 miles from LA and pick up 80+ channels.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Philips SDV8622T/27 Indoor/Outdoor Digital TV Antenna

Lots of reviews

Hmmm, on Amazon it has 7 "5" star reviews, and 9 "1" star reviews. I trust your experience but would not buy anything with more 1 star reviews than 5 star.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:23 PM   #7

North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-N-Laurie View Post
It's worth every penney and if you would like to try one buy it from Wal-Mart as they have a 15 day return policy. If it dosen't work for you just return it but if your having issues with reception this is a winner at $68 and compact!! Here is the link:
Clearstream 2V-J3: TV & Video : Walmart.com
And with Amazon charging sales tax now (at least here in Florida) there is no longer any benefit in buying from them, even as bad as I hate giving my money to WalMart.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Hmmm, on Amazon it has 7 "5" star reviews, and 9 "1" star reviews. I trust your experience but would not buy anything with more 1 star reviews than 5 star.
I agree that doesn't look good for an item that I have had very good luck with. However, by the dates, it does look like they must have had a cable quality problem in later units. But that doesn't reflect my experiences with 5 units at all. I have had one on a house for over 2 years and another on a house for just 2 years and three on RV's, one for over two years and the other two have left my observation. The ones on the houses are to augment and back up cable systems.

In looking at reviews I always figure that the unhappy customers are much more apt to send in a bad review than a happy customer a good review so I always read the content of negative reviews carefully so as to be able to weigh them. I didn't do any reviews on the ones I bought, they work and that was great. Had I reviewed them that would have been 5 more 5 star reviews.

Again, it's an advantage if an item is easy to return, either because a unit is defective or if the entire product isn't well designed.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:50 AM   #9

Florida
You can see the antenna top right of the picture. It's not on a pole just hanging in the carport and getting 63 channels. No amplifier to go bad or power needed 10.8 db gain right out of the box. It has a u clamp that will easily attach to the pole. I have a 75 mile roof top antenna above my house feeding 2 TVs and the Clearstream 2V is picking up 10 more channels than the roof top.
Attached Thumbnails
Clearstream 2V 001.jpg  
Old 06-24-2014, 06:13 AM   #10

Florida
The angle of the the antenna is pointing down under the roof, 63 stations. At the campsite I had it 10' in the air and still 63 stations. I wouldn't be surprised if I was on top of the Blue Ridge Parkway it would be picking up Washington D.C.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:29 AM   #11

Florida
Here is a picture of the 2012 Nomad with the Wingard Antenna. The antenna was new so you cant blame it on connection corrosion. 2-3 stations at 50% verses 63 stations at 100% what a difference.

If your reading this and you have a Wingard like what is on top of the Nomad treat yourself and start watching free TV. Click on the picture and you will see a better picture of the antenna.
Attached Thumbnails
CAM00187-1.jpg  
Old 06-24-2014, 07:27 AM   #12

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
What is this television of which you speak? Whilst on the trail with my FGT I may watch an appropriate* moving picture with sound for an evening's entertainment. But usually, the evening repast is followed with conversation and the reading of dead-tree paged objects.

GcB

*Fiction of the Scientific Genre or Locally Appropriate Titles
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:41 AM   #13

Florida
Samsung 22" LED

How is this for a picture? TV is a
Samsung 22" LED weighing less
than 5 lbs. All channels are the
same quality picture...
Attached Thumbnails
22 inch Samsung LED 001.jpg  
Old 06-24-2014, 07:48 AM   #14

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-N-Laurie View Post
How is this for a picture? TV is a
Samsung 22" LED weighing less
than 5 lbs. All channels are the
same quality picture...
Picture looks great, but I must tell you that you need to improve the quality of programing that you watch.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:08 AM   #15

Florida
I wasn't watching that channel. I just turned on the TV and took a picture!
If you like I can retake another channel like "The Family Channel"
Old 06-24-2014, 09:04 AM   #16

Sorry to hear that you are getting the same picture on all channels.... LOL

"Same Picture Quality" is the nature of most digital channels, either you get it or you don't. The daze of snow are mostly gone. Drop-outs are the new "snow".

Old 06-24-2014, 09:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusedlight View Post
What is this television of which you speak? Whilst on the trail with my FGT I may watch an appropriate* moving picture with sound for an evening's entertainment. But usually, the evening repast is followed with conversation and the reading of dead-tree paged objects.

GcB

*Fiction of the Scientific Genre or Locally Appropriate Titles
NEWS FLASH.....

The earth IS round, prohibition has ended, and women can now vote...

Staying current is why we like to have occasional exposure to world events while also enjoying nature.

And as Dr. Sheldon Cooper has said "Science is never fiction".

BTW: Reading on a pad saves trees..... not to mention storage space and weight.

ALL all the preceding is LOL.....

Old 06-24-2014, 12:54 PM   #18

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:

Lots of reviews

I suppose as long as the amplifier holds up it will work great. Personally. I like a bigger antenna on an extendable mast.

Your is stealthy which I like also.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:05 AM   #19

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
NEWS FLASH.....

The earth IS round, prohibition has ended, and women can now vote...

Staying current is why we like to have occasional exposure to world events while also enjoying nature.

And as Dr. Sheldon Cooper has said "Science is never fiction".

BTW: Reading on a pad saves trees..... not to mention storage space and weight.

ALL all the preceding is LOL.....
Heh...

We catch our news by listening (radio!) to the BBC, CBC, and NPR on our SiriusXM. I'll be doing an antenna hookup into the Scamp Real Soon Now. And, yes, we read a lot on our Personal Access Display Device, but we maintain a backup supply of dead-tree objects for consumption. Oddly enough places such as the Pukwana Historical Review don't have an eBook format. Odd, that.

Now, about this "earth is round thing"...
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:37 AM   #20

North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusedlight View Post
Now, about this "earth is round thing"...
I don't know about the Earth, just what I have been told, but I know my Scamp is kind of round.