Unfinished wood in storage areas - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2019, 03:34 AM   #1

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Unfinished wood in storage areas

Someone mentioned to me that they decided to rub coconut oil on the unfinished wood under the table and other unfinished wood areas in their travel trailer. They think this will repel moisture and reduce out gassing of the wood and adherents. She said it smells like coconut for a few days, and helps with the wet dog, who shakes and lives underneath the table.

Using coconut oil on the unfinished wood is an interesting thought. I am considering priming and painting with an oil based product on such unfinished wood areas as under the bed, underside of the table, and inside of storage areas. Such bare wood has struck me as just not being right, somehow. My wife does not like the idea and has asked me to hold off. However, this is an intriguing idea.

Has anyone done something similar? If there is a thread that addresses this issue please direct me to it, I can't locate it.

I hesitate on using coconut oil because using an edible oil on the unfinished wood may attract ants, cockroaches, animal critters or other unwanted pests. But maybe I am overthinking. Linseed oil is attractive to mice, but perhaps a coating of polyurethane or oil based enamel? Would water based enamel be better than oil based? I have no experience with wood working so I really don't know what finish to use, if anything.

My wife does not like the idea of painting the plywood directly under the seat cushions because she thinks it may cause the cushions to slide off. But truth be told, I believe she just really, really, does not want me in the nice pretty trailer with a paintbrush in hand...hard as I may try, paint somehow seems to just get on everything within a five mile radius of my painting efforts...
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 07:07 AM   #2

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1700
Michigan
We have primed and painted the interior unfinished wood surfaces on a boler 13 and a trillium 4500 using a water based interior/exterior Kilz primer and an exterior latex paint. I've been happy with the result. Much easier to clean than bare wood and plywood. I put an anti skid mat under the front gaucho cushion, but I don't think that was really necessary. We leave the dinette set up as a permanent bed.
Lisa in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:51 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Why not use a cleat oil finish like Watco? It will highlight the wood but not create the slick finish (unless the wood is sanded smooth). It's easy wipe on, wipe off, leaving little mess. That is how we finished all of the cabinets and woodwork in our house plus a lot of the furniture. You could use other colors to try to match other finishes in the trailer.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:27 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We used a Watco oil finish designed for butcher block counter tops and cutting boards . According to the label it is safe for food contact once it is thoroughly dry . I believe it is tung oil based .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:32 AM   #5

Tennessee
Lisa, thanks that is one really good reason to paint. I will think about the Latex paint, but I lean more towards oil based enamel because it is harder. However, I suspect the Latex may give and take and allow a bit of movement better than the oil based enamel.

Dave and Steve, I have never heard of Watco. I will research this product. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:13 PM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Seal it with a water based, clear acrylic, varnish product It will dry fast. Cleanup is soap and water. A water based varnish does not need any special care, its once and done.

You can apply paint over it at a later date if you want to.

Remember most modern paints are acrylic based. Meaning they have color pigments added to a clear acrylic base. So basically acrylic varnish is the same thing without color added to it. It does come in different glosses.

The true oil paints are not as flexible as acrylic paint. They do crack over time. But the EPA regulations have pretty much all house paints now modified with acrylic to meet the VOC reduction standards.

Exterior acrylic varnish has mildew inhibitors in it. No need to get exotic with products for a simple job such as sealing wood inside of a cabinet or on the underside of a table.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 06:51 PM   #7

Tennessee
Thanks KC, good advise. I will research the water based clear acrylic.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:45 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
On all the re-worked cabinet doors, I made of cedar, I just used Butchers wax and the result is great... 3 coats and buff to a light shine.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 11:15 AM   #9

Name: Gary
Trailer: Casita 16' Spirit Standard
Texas
Just a look to the future. The first coat you put on the bare wood determines what can be used as an overcoat later. The bonding from least to best is latex, oil base, 1 part epoxy/urethane (equal), 2 part part epoxy/urethane (equal) Over coating can only be done with a paint that is less or equal to the bonding of the paint below it. For example: nothing can be put on top of a latex base coat except more latex and anything can be top coated onto 2 part epoxy/urethane. I don't know where tung oil, etc fits into this. JMTCW.
GaryDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 11:26 AM   #10

Name: Joel
Trailer: '72 Trillium 1300
WA
This is a very timely post! When I pulled the wooden cabinets out of my Trilly, all the wood framing was untreated... And VERY moldy. New stuff going in will be treated beforehand.
JoelD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:26 PM   #11

Name: tom
Trailer: 1978 trek
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Someone mentioned to me that they decided to rub coconut oil on the unfinished wood under the table and other unfinished wood areas in their travel trailer. They think this will repel moisture and reduce out gassing of the wood and adherents. She said it smells like coconut for a few days, and helps with the wet dog, who shakes and lives underneath the table.

Using coconut oil on the unfinished wood is an interesting thought. I am considering priming and painting with an oil based product on such unfinished wood areas as under the bed, underside of the table, and inside of storage areas. Such bare wood has struck me as just not being right, somehow. My wife does not like the idea and has asked me to hold off. However, this is an intriguing idea.

Has anyone done something similar? If there is a thread that addresses this issue please direct me to it, I can't locate it.

I hesitate on using coconut oil because using an edible oil on the unfinished wood may attract ants, cockroaches, animal critters or other unwanted pests. But maybe I am overthinking. Linseed oil is attractive to mice, but perhaps a coating of polyurethane or oil based enamel? Would water based enamel be better than oil based? I have no experience with wood working so I really don't know what finish to use, if anything.

My wife does not like the idea of painting the plywood directly under the seat cushions because she thinks it may cause the cushions to slide off. But truth be told, I believe she just really, really, does not want me in the nice pretty trailer with a paintbrush in hand...hard as I may try, paint somehow seems to just get on everything within a five mile radius of my painting efforts...
certain oils go rancid, mineral oil wont
1963 tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 02:03 PM   #12

Tennessee
I forgot about some oils going rancid.Thanks
Old 04-08-2019, 03:20 AM   #13

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
It is just not that big of a deal to seal the wood surfaces inside of a cabinets. A trip to the store and a few hours time spent with a cheap throw away paint brush. Put on some tunes or listen to an audio book. Quit talking about it, just do it.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:57 AM   #14

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
Coating

Hah, good one!
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:04 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote: