Update on my 3rd tail Light install - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2019, 02:50 PM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Update on my 3rd tail Light install

Just thought I do a follow up on my 3rd tail light, and thank the members who gave me advice on adhering the "rat fur" back in place where I ran the wiring under the seams. Snaked the wire behind the Fur on top of the window. Brought it out and hid it under the seam into the cabinet, down the wall again under the seam, and then down into the storage area where I wired it into the system.

I feel a lot safer on the road now that I have additional tail lights, brake lights, turn indicators and 4 way flashers showing. In case your wondering which item I used it was from Partsam 15" Red Hi Mount Center ID Bar. Mfg part # GTCV-04 10275090, $11.99 on Amazon. It has 4 wires so all the normal functions are available, stop, tail, directional's, and flashers.

I used "RTV Silicone Sealant" to adhere the bar to the Scamp and followed up with "Flex Shot" to seal around the bar to make it watertight. Was going to buy the recommended spray adhesive when I discovered I had a can of Duro Spray adhesive for fabric, foam metal, felt and the list goes on. Anyway it worked perfectly.

Thanks,

Jack
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF6641.jpg   DSCF6642.jpg  

DSCF6643.jpg   DSCF6644.jpg  

Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Very nice looking mod
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:37 PM   #3

Massachusetts
Thank you Alan,

Jack
Old 10-09-2019, 06:24 AM   #4

Name: Danny
Trailer: Amerigo
Texas
This looks awesome. Are there any legal implications?
I know the laws in some states limit the height of brake lights.
Ie Colorado
Every trailer shall be equipped with at least 1 tail lamp mounted in the rear. Lamp shall emit red light plainly visible from a distance of 500 feet from the rear. Tail lamps shall be located at a height of not more than 72 inches nor less than 20 inches.

Georgia's
Every trailer and pole trailer must be equipped with 2 taillights located at a height of not more than 60 inches nor less than 20 inches and that emit a plainly visible red light from a distance of 500 feet to the rear.
HippoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:05 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The regulations you cited apply to regular taillights. There is no requirement for high mount brake lights on trailers.

I think as long as you keep the originals, which meet the legal requirement, no one’s going to bother about additional lighting, as long as the color and function are correct. Many folks have added similar lighting, and I’ve yet to hear of a single person being bothered about it by a LEO.

Agree- this is a very sensible mod. There are a lot of tall vehicles on the road, and if you have to brake suddenly in close traffic, a truck behind you might not see the OEM lights come on, especially in bright daylight.

Personally, I think upgrading the OEM’s to brighter LED’s and adding just a brake light up high is all that’s really needed. An exception would be folks carrying bikes on the back that obscure the OEM lights. In that case a second pair of full function lights above the belly band might be warranted.

I’ve also put a strip of red-and-white DOT reflective tape across the entire bumper. I found it remarkably effective with traffic approaching from the rear at night. With the tape, lower is better, because it catches oncoming headlights sooner.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:40 AM   #6

Name: Danny
Trailer: Amerigo
Texas
Awesome, I hate trying to figure out laws that vary like that.
Thank you for the response.
HippoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:37 PM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Did you have to cut a 1/2" hole for the plastic nipple that sticks out of the back of the bar?
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:52 PM   #8

Massachusetts
In response to the 1/2 in nipple or whatever you what to call it, Yes I did bore a 1/2 hole for it and the wiring.

BTW, I just got back from a trip to Vermont and New Hampshire, Left Vermont this morning and weather was fine. Half way thru MA it started to rain and I was glad that I had that third light back there. Had to change lane often with the crazy's coming on I 91 & I 90.
I also feel its important to have the additional side view mirrors when looking to change lanes, more so with inclement weather. I can see further back with them then the std. mirrors on the TV. Yes I know some out there may not think they need them. But I am sure they would reconsider if they tried them one time.

Jack
Old 10-09-2019, 02:56 PM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockman View Post
In response to the 1/2 in nipple or whatever you what to call it, Yes I did bore a 1/2 hole for it and the wiring.
Thanks for the reply, i actually have a pair of the 15" (3 wire) bars from another project and am trying to decide on getting the all in one bar like you have and saving a hole vs mounting both of the ones i already have.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:21 PM   #10

Massachusetts
Hey, if you can, I would go with the 4 wire system, The 3 wire system may only give you tail & brake lighting. The 4 wire give you everything, tail, brakes, 4 way flashers and directional's. The part # is in my original post.
Jack

Tags
light