Updates to my '84 13' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2012, 09:19 PM   #1

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Updates to my '84 13' Scamp

Have been putzing away at some updates to improve my camping experiences...
First I built a small shelf to attach to the board that supports the dinette hardware. It's great for setting my glasses, cell phone and lamp at night. It'll also be good to store games or condiments at dinnertime.

Then, confident from my hole-drilling experience when installing the clock, I drilled four holes in the underside of the rear overhead dinette storage, cut a piece of 1/4" plywood and drilled matching holes, then lined up the holes in the El Cheapo Monoprice TV bracket, the dinette storage and the plywood, then used machine screws, washers and bolts to attach the bracket. Then mounted the TV to the bracket. Could have mounted it a little further forward so the tv would fold back all the way, but I think it should work fine.

Pondered a while on a way to mount the bluray player below the TV. I ended up using a quarter-round piece of coated wire shelving from my shop displays. It's suspended from the bracket using two long shoelaces folded in half, then I tied an overhand knot and placed the loop over the front side of the hinge bracket, then tied the two ends to the front corners. Another shoelace is fold in half and tied with a loop that is placed over the back side of the bracket hinge, and tied to the back corner of the wire grid. I think I'll go back and adjust the grid shelf closer to the tv, then find some kind of toggle/clip to use to attach the shoestrings to the grid. It'll look more finished, and I can detach the shelf during transit.

Then I built another shelf to fit under the front window. I took the top bunk out since I don't have any grandkids to camp with...yet. I'll probably just be camping with one other friend for a while, so this will make for a more comfortable sleeping arrangement. No more having to wiggle in under the top bunk.

Then I finished tweaking the PVC supports for the front window rock guard. I think the original idea has been posted here somewhere, but I had to scratch my head and ponder a bit to get the rock guard to be securely attached so it wouldn't be blown off by a gust of wind. My solution is to use zip ties to keep the top bracket from coming off the hooks. I'll use zip ties on the bottom as well, just didn't have any long enough to test the idea, but I think it should work. I'll be able to leave the tops zip ties attached all the time. Will have to install the bottom ones each time, but it's a simple matter to just cut them when it's time to break camp.

I also have an awning made. Will get pics next time I set it up.

Left to do:
1. Reinstall a battery on the tongue and hook it up to the 12v lines into the trailer. Someone has butchered the wires and I'm hesitant to unwrap them cuz I might not be able to get the trailer lights back on line.
2. Remove the steel plate on the tongue that blocks the battery mount. There's dual tanks installed now, but I'm sure I won't need but one tank.
3. Replace the carpet with floating laminate flooring that I got at Lumber Liquidators for 59 cents/s.f. Score!
4. Add an outside light, an additional 110 outlet inside, and a 12v outlet inside.
Attached Thumbnails
shelfdinette.jpg   tvbluray1.jpg  

tvbluray2.jpg   shelfbunk.jpg  

shelfbunk2.jpg   frontawningzip.jpg  

frontawning2.jpg   frontawning1.jpg  

frontawning3.jpg  
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:05 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Looks very nice Lil!

I too have the gravel guard setup so I can use it as an awning. Thanks to Joy A for the idea
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:41 AM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Nice connections on your gravel guard/ awning. I like the the shelving off your windows at the bed. It reminds me of window planter boxes on some of the houses near me. Great use of limited space. I'm assuming when you sleep you have your feet at the shelf end, as I fit really tight in our bed and would hit my head, but then you do have the TV at the other end. Maybe your a little shorter than I am.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #4

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
great work, lil!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Very nice, but 4 o'clock and 5 o'clock appear to be missing. Happy hour perhaps? Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #6

Minnesota
Registry
Thanks all for your comments.

Thanks Donna for jogging my memory...it was Joy A.! Thanks, Joy!

Danny, yes I am vertically challenged...just over 5'1", down from my lifetime high of 5'2". I sleep with my head by the closet and feet by the kitchen counter...when the dog allows me to stretch out. <_< Made sure I could move the table from up position to bed position and avoid the little shelf.

And Raz, what happens at 4 and 5 o'clock...well, let's say it shall remain a mystery...but you're close.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #7

Minnesota
Registry
Finally came up with a better/neater way to suspend the bluray shelf below the television...I used these...
Line Tightener, Tent Accessories, Guy Rope Tighteners | Campmor
The line tighteners make it easier to adjust the shelf, and the snug triangular placement, along with the open grid where the feet sink down in the grid, helps keep the bluray on the shelf. I found this out when I towed the Scamp off the lawn over a low slope to the street, across two railroad tracks to a garage across town to get the dual tank attachment removed from the tongue. The rear curtains fell down, the tall cupboard opened up (I didn't have it locked) and a few things fell to the floor, books and sunflowers toppled over on the front shelf. So I have added a few more items to the pre-travel prep list.

Also installed a swivel trailer jack on the tongue to make it easier to adjust the trailer placement after I've backed it into place (Gotta practice that skill!).

Ordered gas tank tie-downs from Scamp yesterday, they arrived today. Wow, what great service! They're a little tall for the tank, so I put a scrap of 1/4" plywood under the tank and tightened it down nice and snug. Will have to remove the plywood and paint it to protect it from the weather, then return it under the tank.

BTW, any suggestions on what to do about the jack handle that droops down? Looks like it might get ruined if I hit a bump.
Attached Thumbnails
blurayslingside.jpg   bluerayshelffront.jpg  

tank-jack.jpg  
Old 05-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #8

Name: Sandy
Trailer: 1984 13ft. Scamp
California
Hi, my name is Sandy and I have just purchased a 1984 Scamp. I love what you are doing with yours. I'm just getting started and have many questions. I want to replace the rear plexi window with a slider, any advice? Thanks
Sandy Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Sandra, welcome to FiberglassRV.

Hummm, a 1984 Scamp. Not all years can change from plexi to a slider. If the back of the trailer is curved, you are SOL with a slider. If you're not sure, take a long straight edge... like a 2x4 and place it dead center in the window. If the side edges of the window doesn't touch the 2x4 the back of the trailer is curved and a slider window will NOT work.

Hope this helps, now back to the OP topic.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:00 AM   #10

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Turn the jack handle back towards the rear and secure with a tiny bungee thru the jack center. you can also reverse the whole jack with the wheel towards the front and do the same, the jack flips in either direction and just turn the handle to where it sticks up.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:59 AM   #11

Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Turn the jack handle back towards the rear and secure with a tiny bungee thru the jack center. you can also reverse the whole jack with the wheel towards the front and do the same, the jack flips in either direction and just turn the handle to where it sticks up.
Doh! she says as she slaps her forehead. Thanks cp! two great suggestions.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:05 AM   #12

Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra V. Smith View Post
Hi, my name is Sandy and I have just purchased a 1984 Scamp. I love what you are doing with yours. I'm just getting started and have many questions. I want to replace the rear plexi window with a slider, any advice? Thanks
Welcome Sandy! I hope you have as much fun with your '84 as I am with mine. And Donna gives excellent advice on the rear window.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #13

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
I use arrows to prop up my front window shield. They work well and very easy to put up and take down. Marg
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #14

Name: Al
Trailer: 1982 13 foot Scamp
Wisconsin
I use extendable tent poles to hold up the gravel shield.I also mounted a flagpole holder to the shield for a wind sock.
ScampBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #15

Minnesota
Registry
Nice and simple, Marg. I still have to keep the top hinge secured with the zip tie, otherwise it just lifts off in a good gust.

And ScampBum, now you have me thinking about a windsock!
Old 05-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #16

Name: Al
Trailer: 1982 13 foot Scamp
Wisconsin
I got the flagpole bracket at Menard's.The angle can be adjusted.Oodles of windsocks online.I got my loon from Creative Windsocks in Bellingham,WA.
Attached Thumbnails
R1-01676-024A.jpg  
ScampBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #17

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Hi Lil,

We are home and I have the fiberglass tanks. They look a bit larger than the steel ones. Haven't taken our old one off to see how the new will fit, so don't know if the Scamp hold down things will work.

When we went to get 10 lbs propane put into our 20 lb tank the COOP guy was interested. Don't think I would have any trouble getting rid of them.
10 lbs of propane cost 8.19 and 20 lbs would have been 13.33 here in town.

The work you have done looks very nice. You will have to see how we did the bottom of the gravel guard thing. We got it right from Joy, uses (not cotter pin) something.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #18

Minnesota
Registry
Thanks for the windsock info, ScampBum!

Nancy, Great news about the tanks! Can hardly wait til Eggs at the Fairground!
Old 05-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #19

Minnesota
Registry
This week, I attacked the sticky elephant skin with LA's Totally Awesome...cheapest cleaner ever (found at the Dollar Store)! And it worked! Did a test spot with just the spray and a microfiber rag. Then, after reading a recommendation on another thread here on the forum, I employed the services of rubber gloves, a bucket of hot water and a plastic bristle floor brush. It went something like this...spray the cleaner, scrub with scrub brush, wipe down with rag, rinse rag, repeat. No more sticky, tacky elephant skin, and it looks great!
Next, I decided to tackle the fresh water tank, water line, and hand pump faucet. First, I poured water and a generous helping of vinegar into the water tank. Discovered the drain valve was in the open position. Closed it and added more water and vinegar. Figured I'd leave it in the tank overnight to do its cleaning magic.
Then, I unscrewed the faucet from the counter and disconnected the water tubing. The water tubing looked pretty gross. Following instructions from the Scamp literature, I unscrewed the faucet base from the faucet, cleaned the grunginess out, applied mineral oil to the larger seal, admired the little clear marble that acts as a backflow preventer, then reassembled the faucet. Tested it in the house to make sure it worked. Decided I HAD to replace the gross water line. Guessed at 12' at the hardware store (it took about 9'), and bought stainless steel screws to remount the faucet.
Removed the old tubing and replaced it with the new. Bit of a challenge getting it through the tight spots since I didn't want to remove the rear dinette seats. I found a little water damage in the OSB (that had been painted over when the carpet had been replaced) along the back wall below the rear window. Nothing major, but will deal with it when I replace the carpet with laminate flooring (maybe this fall...right now I just wanna go campin'!).
Got things all connected and secured and started a-pumpin' and a-pumpin' and a-pumpin' and a-pumpin'. Resorted to sucking on the faucet to get that water to come along the 8 feet of tubing. Success (with a hint of vinegar)! Picture doesn't show the full flow, but I wouldn't want to use this faucet to supply water to put out a fire.
Next, I'll try and figure out the battery/12v situation tomorrow, then wheel bearings checked on Monday and I'll be ready to camp next weekend! Yippee!
Attached Thumbnails
wateroldtube.jpg   waternewtube.jpg  

watersuccess.jpg  
Old 05-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #20

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Lil, be sure to bring your own water to Bemidji. You don't want the iron water in that cleaned out setup.

We don't have a tank in our trailer so don't need to do that great job you just did. Looking good.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp