Updating Rockguard on a 1976 trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2022, 10:34 AM   #1

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 1976 Trillium trailer
British Columbia
Updating Rockguard on a 1976 trillium

Hey all!

We did a reno to our 1976 trillium, we painted the exterior of the trailer but at the time, didn't want to tackle the front window rock guard because of how the frame is constructed. We have a trip coming up and we want to finally take care of the rock guard. Does anyone have any experience taking them apart, painting them, refinishing them, and putting the frame back together afterwards?

I saw a post where someone had some aluminum corner pieces cut, and riveted the corners back together, and there's a metal shop not far from where we are. So that's an option for us.
Attached Thumbnails
20220917_091416.jpg   20220917_091507.jpg  

CasaTrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 02:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Trillium 13 ft
Following

We have the same issue, so I am following this thread.
Patricia Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 11:36 AM   #3

Name: Ray
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
I have an 81 Trillium 4500 with the same stone guard.
I will need to do the same as it’s getting thin and the Trillium symbol has faded.
That said I think keeping it original would be the solution, as in the same undisturbed aluminum frame.
Maybe remove it off the trailer and put it on the horizontal and simply mix the fiberglass resin and coat the perimeter groves with it as to hold in a second coating of a clear coat (to keep it original. Or coat it with the Fiberglass resin and spray paint it.
Haven’t done mine yet, but it’s on the to do list
Ray11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 07:40 PM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: 1966 Buco Industries
Alberta
I rebuilt the rock guard on my 1966 Buco. It had some small holes and cracks and was badly weathered and thin due to 50+ years of weather.
I carefully drilled out the rivets on the corners, removed the fiberglass panels, gave them a good scrubbing with a stiff bristle brush and warm soapy water to remove dirt and loose fibers. I then gave them a light sanding and then added a layer of light fiberglass cloth and resin to strengthen the cracked and weathered panels. I repainted the panels and reinstalled into the aluminum frame with new rivets on the frame. I also cleaned and polished the frame pieces before reassembling everything.
I had no emblem on the guard to replace, but highly recommend contacting Larry Webb at Custom Vintage Trailer Parts. He has dozens of reproductions of vintage trailer emblems he can supply. Very high quality decals and reasonably priced also.
pault is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium