Updating Scamp Interior - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2017, 09:18 AM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1973 Scamp 13
MN
Updating Scamp Interior

We just purchased our first fiberglass RV. It's a 1973 Scamp 13' that needs some TLC. The inside has a vinyl covering material. Can this material be taken off? Is this the best way to go about painting the interior? If so, what type of prep work is involved?
Bill from Duluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:45 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The vinyl covering is Ensolite. It's closed cell foam with a bonded vinyl surface layer, and it's actually a very effective and durable shell lining. The lining has a number of important functions, including control of sound and light (raw fiberglass is translucent), insulation, and condensation prevention. If you remove it, you will want to put something back in its place, which is a fairly major project.

What many do is to clean the Ensolite thoroughly, remove the old T-molding, secure any loose sections, fill seams and voids with paintable caulk (a wet sponge can be used to approximate the original texture), prime and paint.

If you do decide to replace it, a common alternative consists of a layer of foil bubble insulation covered with marine headliner. That's what Scamp has used since the mid-80's. To do it right, you really need to R&R all the interior cabinets and windows.

I recommend cleaning it as best you can and use it for a while before you decide how far you want to go with your renovation. More than one have gutted a newly-purchased trailer only to find it is more time and money than expected.

Welcome and congratulations! I wish you the best getting this new-to-you trailer fixed up! How about some pictures?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:56 AM   #3

MN
Thanks for the great information Jon. We have done some major cleaning and will take it on the road next week. I'm working on a plan for updates which will include new stove-top, 3 way fridge, upholstery, flooring, electrical and solar, etc. so what to do with the Ensolite was at the top of the list.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:35 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
For upholstery, you can purchase new cushions (or just the covers) from Scamp. Current selections include slate blue, chestnut brown, and evergreen solids. Cost is very reasonable compared to custom work (unless you can sew them yourselves, of course), quality is good, and they coordinate well.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:31 PM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Jon, you are a great ambassador for Scamp. Very helpful information. They should pay you more.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
What Jon said!
Also there are many really good paints which are compatible
with elephant hide. I like Zinsser Perma-White
It needs no primer has 15 year film strength and is Mildew and mold proof. Also it can be tinted to a pastel.

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:58 PM   #7

MN
Thanks Floyd!
Perma-White looks like a good option for paint.
Now the real work begins

Tags
scamp