Upgrade bed in 2004 casita 17 spirit deluxe. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2019, 08:12 PM   #1

Name: Pam
Trailer: Casita
Illinois
Upgrade bed in 2004 casita 17 spirit deluxe.

Hello out there. Been busy doing a refresh of our 2004 17 foot casita spirit deluxe. Using maple plywood in place of factory supplied particle board table/bed foundation to add more stability. Wondered what mattress fits well and how or if most people opt to store these or just leave the table lowered and bed made up.

Appreciate any comments recommendations.

Pam I Am
Pam I Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:29 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We also replaced the rear table in our '96 Casita SD 17 with plywood that stays down in bed mode. Bought a real mattress from Southern Mattress in North Carolina that is made to fit the curved wall of the Casita. They sold us the one that they said is the most popular one and we love it. They shipped it within a few days after ordering it. We were able to cut the shipping cost in half by having it shipped to a friends business, rather than our home address. Cost (as I recall) was around $600 plus $100 shipping to Albany NY area. Well worth the money in our opinion.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:53 AM   #3

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
We bought a 3" memory foam topper off the internet and cut it to fit on top of the cushions. We loved it and it cost less than $100.
We left the bed down most of the time but it gave us the option to roll the topper up occasionally to use the table for company.

Walt
Old 05-09-2019, 11:12 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Just my personal preference, but I tend to "run hot" when I sleep, and I can't stand any type of foam rubber under me. Any of those rubber pads, egg crate foam pads, etc, make me sweat because they don't allow your body's moisture to dissipate. To me, those are of the most miserable things ever made to try and sleep on.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:14 PM   #5

Name: Morgan
Trailer: Casita
New York
Registry
We have a Independence, so I cannot comment directly on fit in the Spirit, nor do we change the configuration from day <-> night, as we chose it for the twin bed option. However, knowing I'm a twitchy sleeper, we went directly to the Southern Mattress option, and got the extra layer of soft foam on top of their most popular mattress. Initially, the Casita crew, not knowing that we had ordered that extra layer of softer foam, had put them in upside down. My husband was perfectly comfortable, but with my arthritis, I was not quite comfortable. After a couple of nights of restless sleep, it occurred to me that we might have them upside down, checked the lower sides to determine if they were softer, determined that they were, and we switched the mattresses. My husband is still comfortable, and so am I.

The other option we considered was to get an IKEA natural foam, latex mattress (like the one on our bed at home), and cut it in two with an electric knife. Many people find they don't need to cut foam mattresses to fit the wall, but those who do use the original pads to make or as a template. When it came down to it, though, neither of us wanted to be the one who (potentially) screwed that up, since the split would be facing into the aisle. The other issue was that of having a cover that fit properly, and firm edges, which the Southern Mattresses do.
Morgan A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita