Upgrading windows in Triple E trailer - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-28-2021, 09:04 PM   #1

Name: Steven
Trailer: in the market
Manitoba
Upgrading windows in Triple E trailer

I recently bought a 1975 Triple E trailer and am beginning to try to get it ready for the road and for a bit of camping fun. I'd really like to upgrade the old (original) windows since they are definitely showing their 45 plus years of use, besides which they also leak. I've spent my afternoon perusing the net and haven't been able to find anything that is even vaguely in my budget. Does anyone have any leads for me?

Another little complication for me is that I live in Canada, and anything that is shipped here also seems to have a hefty shipping fee attached to it, besides the already eye-popping original price. Any ideas for me??
S. Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 10:11 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Short of getting something custom made $$$$, best option is to fix what you have. Endless threads on window repairs here.

If you are dead set on replacing them, then start scouring RV salvage yards, and find some old windows in better shape than yours. Highly likely the size won't match, so you are talking doing fiberglass work. So that circles back to repairing what you have.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 10:19 PM   #3

Manitoba
Thanks Bill. A bit of repair sounds like the route I'll have to go. I'll check out the threads.
Old 05-29-2021, 11:03 AM   #4

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Repair would be my first choice, depending on what I had to work with.
Importing from the US (where most parts are made) into Canada can be a problem.
The company I ordered from charged me $35 for UPS shipment. UPS reports all shipments to Canada Customs even when there are no customs fees due. UPS knows that ALL goods imported in Canada are subject to a 5% federal sales tax. UPS does this so that they can add the 5% sales tax to their delivery fee plus 50% of the value of the package for paying the tax.
It cost me $35 for shipping, $4.50 in federal tax and $45 for UPS for paying the $4.50 tax on a $90 order.
This pretty much doubles the cost of the item.
I understand the other couriers do the same.
NO MORE COURIERS FOR ME!
If the seller won't mail it, I won't buy it!
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:13 AM   #5

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
If the seller won't mail it, I won't buy it!

Ditto. If they ship UPS, I'm not making the purchase.
If it is shipped USPS, it is handed over to Canada Post at the border. No extra fees.
Also, if ordering from etrailer.com, order by phone and ask that the item be shipped from their Ontario warehouse to avoid the border all together.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:08 PM   #6

Manitoba
Thanks. Good information, and I'm with you - I hate spending the value of the item ordered on shipping. Pretty dumb!!
Old 06-03-2021, 12:25 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Steven, I have not done it so take what I say with a grain of salt.

It is my understanding that the rubber components are available, though not exactly cheap. The opperators are also available.

Below is a three page thread about rebuilding Surfside windows:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ild-88587.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:19 PM   #8

Manitoba
Thanks David. I have been wondering about that very thing and was going to ask if anyone know how and if it were possible to buy the rubber and seals. Thanks. I'll check this out when I get the chance. After I cleaned up the windows and took a more level-headed look at them I realized that they aren't as terrible as I first thought. However, they definitely do need to have the gaskets replaced since they are not great anymore. I suspect that if I can replace these that I'll have some pretty good windows that will last another 45 plus years.
Old 06-13-2021, 05:51 PM   #9

Name: Richard
Trailer: Triple E Surfside
British Columbia
I also have a Triple-E Surfside. Although my windows are a bit battered, I really like the jalousie style of the originals, that allows a lot of fresh air in the summer and still protects from rain. I would say fix them if you need to, but don't replace them with something that doesn't allow the air flow of the originals.

I expect the border will open again soon. If you are near enough, there are services in many U.S. border towns that will receive packages for you for a small fee. You often don't even get charged the tax if you take them across yourself, it's less than $200 and is for personal use.

Otherwise, I agree with you -- NEVER use UPS and try to get the shipper to use USPS instead.
Richard McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:15 AM   #10

Manitoba
Thanks Richard. Did you put in one of those fancy-dancy Fantastic Fans (or what ever they are called) into your vent, or do you get enough air flow with the windows and open vents alone?

I have a buddy in ND that I am hoping will help me with some of the body work and repainting of the outside of the trailer if and when things do open up again. Maybe I can get some stuff shipped there. Until then I'll have to make sure to keep an eye on any leaking from the windows.

Thanks.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:53 AM   #11

Name: Richard
Trailer: Triple E Surfside
British Columbia
I've considered a Fan-Tastic, but I actually find the jalousie windows and the vent on top are enough.

Then again, because I live in B.C., I'm usually able to control temperature by choosing elevations and latitudes that are more comfortable in the summer months and I try to camp in the shoulder seasons before and after the summer. Also, even on 30 C + days, temperatures in the B.C. Interior tend to cool off at night.

Fortunately, I'm not camping somewhere like the southern U.S., where air conditioning etc. might be needed.

The only major change I've made to the Surfside is redoing the electrical system with solar to allow boondocking.
Richard McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:14 PM   #12

Name: Neville
Trailer: Trails West Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard McGuire View Post

Fortunately, I'm not camping somewhere like the southern U.S., where air conditioning etc. might be needed.

I guess you haven't dropped over the border to Idaho? Air conditioning is just as important here as in Alabama.
Villen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows