Used Portable AC in '86 Scamp restoration - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2006, 08:53 PM   #1

Trailer: X-treme Lite 160
I used a Edge Star Portable AC in my restoration of my 1986 Scamp. I have a custom deluxe so the pantry was only 12" wide that I was working with. I cut out the lower portion of the pantry and made room for the AC. I then made 2 straps out of nylon and a couple of plastic latches, all purchased from a local cloth store. The rear of the AC has a 3.5"x 3.75" square exhaust port. As luck would have it, the exhaust port was in direct line with the belly band seam. So, I regrouped and made a box out of sheet metal so I could off set my exterior exhaust boot (a residential dryer termination vent). The AC is 14" x 13.875" x 31". It only weighs 55lbs. and it works great. I measured the amp draw after the installation and it was 8.1 amps just like the spec stated.To complete everything I reworked the original door and made a small closeable cabinet above the AC.What is cool about this , is I can remove the the unit when not camping and put it to use in
our bonus room above the garage. Which is my wifes sewing room and it gets pretty warm up there in the summer months. This was all part of my plan.
I will try to post some photos. I will share more need updates later. Some are pretty cool. Like my door stop!

Thanks,
Gary Little
Attached Thumbnails
door_stop.JPG   ac_installed_with_straps.JPG  

Gary Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:51 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Really nice work there Gary! Always interested in seeing what other owners have done so keep posting em!.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:08 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
While I think any air conditoner like this should have an outside air intake (instead of this one-hose solution), this one looks like a nice and compact unit, which could justify the design.

Gary, that's a functional and great looking installation , and I like the multi-use aspect, too .
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:02 PM   #4

Quote:
While I think any air conditoner like this should have an outside air intake (instead of this one-hose solution), this one looks like a nice and compact unit, which could justify the design.

Gary, that's a functional and great looking installation , and I like the multi-use aspect, too .
Thanks Brian.

Gary
Old 05-10-2006, 04:51 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The doorstop is slick. Can I assume that the rubber stops hit the hinge mounting plates, not the fiberglass?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:45 PM   #6

Quote:
The doorstop is slick. Can I assume that the rubber stops hit the hinge mounting plates, not the fiberglass?
Yes. The alignment is perfect. This was my wifes idea. I know it will not help much in the wind, but it is great when loading and unloading at home in the garage.

Thanks,
Gary

Tags
scamp