Using a mini split a/c heat pump on your unit - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2013, 05:27 AM   #21

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
They dont work that way. The only hole one would need to drill is a 3 inch hole. behind the outside unit. One could drill from the bottom if they want. I wouldnt have a problem just drilling from the front. But I am not that far yet. These are DIY units as I have learned reading up on them. I asked my a/c buddy and he said it was a great idea. The lines have flare ends to connect to the indoor and outdoor units. It is really made for the DIY guy. I almost bought a unit yesterday for 488 off Ebay but he wanted to charge me tax and 150 for shipping on a no name brand. Yes is was also a heat pump.
There is one and I would like to share the link with you guys so you can see what I am talking about. Everything is pre charged so no a/c man is really needed. Some of these units come with a kit. In the kit the lines are already charged. It is a plug and play setup. Once you hook up the lines the R410A refrigerant is released. It would be nice to be able to undo the lines without releasing the R410A. But one has to think of it like a home unit but smaller. Yes you can always take it off but I am sure you will lose your R410A. Remember these are copper lines. I guess you could put shut off values on the ends so you can remove them without losing much R410A. That is a ideal. Or even buy a extra set of lines for the garage.
Here is the link, watch it and notice how the lines connect to the unit. This is not the system I am looking at, they cost way too much for what I want but they are the top of the line in split units and home units.
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #22

Name: Stan
Trailer: in the market
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKK View Post
I already made up my mind that I will be doing it. I am just researching brands and where to buy. Sams, Costco and Amazon are my main hitters. For easy return , just in case. So I hope to have it installed Sat or Sun.

So need to hear how this works out.
skeelsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:20 AM   #23

Florida
Still haven't found a deal I like on the system. I am getting tired of researching and looking. I am the type of person that has to feel I am getting a good deal before I buy. And sometimes that means it takes awhile. I wished Costco was selling them again this year.
I was looking forward to a install this weekend but looks like the rain will stop me even if I had the unit now. I only have the weekend to play with my camper so things take forever!
Old 05-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #24

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Everything is pre charged so no a/c man is really needed. Some of these units come with a kit. In the kit the lines are already charged. It is a plug and play setup. Once you hook up the lines the R410A refrigerant is released. It would be nice to be able to undo the lines without releasing the R410A. But one has to think of it like a home unit but smaller.
Shawn, more than twenty years ago I installed a whole house pre-charged AC system. The inside unit, outside unit and lines were all pre-charged. It was not difficult, worked well, and the price was right. After a few years it started to leak refrigerant and did not cool well. A friend and I recharged it using the proper AC gages, since the correct amount of charge is very important and it worked well again. By the next year it needed to be recharged again. After recharging it each year for a few years, we took all the connections apart and replaced the o-rings in the pre-charged fittings, purged it with nitrogen, evacuated the system and recharged it again . After a few more years it started to leak again. We replaced the entire system with a system that has the fittings brazed on and had it professionally charged. The new system has worked perfectly ever since. I would never get a pre-charged system again.
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #25

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think Andy has mentioned an important point. Remember, these lightweight all molded towables have been described as an Earthquake Going Down The Road. In other words, some things can shake apart... which wouldn't happen in a sticks 'n bricks home.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:24 AM   #26

Florida
Yes, I thought about that and the only thing I came up with is the copper lines and the type of fittings used to connect them. The other parts is the same as any ac. They use copper for propane lines for the heaters and stove ect ect so thats the same. Some of the Splits use flexible SS lines which I thought was great and not flare fittings.The unit that goes inside has a weight about 20 lbs over about 30 inches so I would reenforce that area.
Putting in a split unit system is a new thought and I have doing way too much research on this. The pros are great like the dc inverter which mean less draw and low noise level. Also it is a heat pump. At this point the only worry I would have is the flare fittings. I didn't think that was a problem by a ac buddy of mine says he don't like them and when he installed his mothers he took them off.
I like the ideal of a pre charged unit. Makes it a DIY system. I am willing to try this if I can find a low cost system. I found one for 400 plus 100 for shipping but today were going shopping in Orlando at Costco and Ikea store for Boler goodies. Home depot sells Mini split but the fine prints state no returns on them. I hope Costco has them again this year! Like I told my wife. If it dont work out we can always use a low cost, cheap to run ac around the house. I just dont want to spend the big bucks for one. The range for what I want goes from 399 to 2000. And since this is a new idea and I am not sure things would work out.......
Old 05-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #27

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I think it is worth pointing out too that the window AC units installed in a closet might be marginal in effectiveness in a scorching climate like Florida.
An earlier comment in this mentioned how much easier those might be but if the air is still hot inside the trailer it still is not worth the money or the effort.

I know for me no window AC ever approached the effectiveness of any Overhead ac and I imagine this split unit might well do the job better than a window unit?

So do find one and be the Guinea pig for us to see?!?!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #28

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I've thought about these and it seems like it could work. Too bad they don't make a 5000 - 6000 BTU unit.
Quote:
What is wrong with a 9000 btu system? The weight is good, the size is good. Rather have too much than not enough.
I had a 5,000 BTU window air conditioner in my Fiber Stream. At first it was installed temporarily while camping in the front window, and removed while towing so the rock guard would close.
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0199.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	58631
Then I got tired of put it in the window, take it out of the window, put it in the window, take it out of the window, put it in the window, take it out of the window... So I permanently installed it in a side window.

Name:	100_0227.jpg
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	58632
This seemed to be an improvement until I noticed:
  1. Only the front half of the trailer was cool. The rear half stayed warm.
  2. I could never get the unit sufficiently sealed up, and always had a small leak from the caulked up window frame when it rained.
I had not noticed the underwhelming performance when the unit was installed in the front window. I think now that a 5,000 BTU unit is most efficient when mounted in either the front or back for the best air-flow. The wall between the kitchen and the Dinette/Bedwomb blocked the indirect air-flow from the side window mount. This may not be a problem in a 13' trailer with no partitioning of the inside space.
Now I realize that my problem is that the Fiber Stream is not insulated at all. The 5,000 BTU unit mounted with indirect air-flow could not overcome that. So I took it out and got the smallest roof unit I could find.

Name:	000_1429.jpg
Size:	307.5 KB
ID:	58633
The 9,200 BTU roof Air Conditioner can overcome the radiant heat, and the air flows from it both forward and aft cooling the whole trailer.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #29

Florida
I'll be your Huckleberry! As soon as I can find a unit from someone that will honer the unit. I wont spend the big bucks just to see if this will work. I am sure it will work but still I have a limit on how much I will spend and it has to be what I want in a unit. I understand this is one of the worst times to buy a a/c unless you want a window unit. I really don't. I never liked them. Too much noise for one. And the placement as you said. I have to do something soon and the places where I like to spend my money doesn't sell what I need. Amazon said they will have what I want within 2 weeks so I will have to wait and see what happens. But if someone else finds a good deal please let me know!

PS, I had a ac unit on my roof in my ex 5th wheel and it too was too noisey and it had the ducts. I like the noise level in a split unit. from 20 to 30, unlike any window unit or roof top unit.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #30

Florida
Ok I just ordered my mini split unit. It is just the a/c and not the heat and not a dc inverter. The reason I went with this unit is because I got it for 350 bucks plus 99 to ship so 459.98. If anyone wants one for their rv or home or garage here is the link and he said ask for Mike and he will give you 10 percent off which comes to the same as I paid for it. I will be getting it UPS on Thursday from NY. Here is the link if you want one for the price of a window unit.
Emi enviroair 9,000 9k btu ductless mini split ac air conditioner system #kwca09a0/k1ca9000a00 - Bargaintory.com
Old 05-20-2013, 06:01 AM   #31

Florida
I just installed the mini split on the Boler. I had to remove the propane reg but no biggie. I still have room for a propane tank up front.
I have the inside unit installed too. where I put it I will have to cut the cabinet doors down to fit.
Also this weekend I installed all new led lights on the outside (what a pain) and primed the whole inside. I found return paint from HD for 7 bucks a gal. Earth tone color so it will work. I also installed another vent up front. It was a busy bust weekend for me!
Old 05-20-2013, 06:07 AM   #32

Florida
Here is what it looks like
Attached Thumbnails
100_0151.JPG   100_0153.jpg  

100_0154.jpg  
Old 05-20-2013, 07:15 AM   #33

And.....Does it work?
Old 05-20-2013, 07:47 AM   #34

Florida
Well it will when I plug it in,lol. It was getting late and I had lots to clean up. I still have lots to do but I think the a/c unit will be the first thing to get done this coming Saturday. The outside part it all done now I just have to plug it in. I think it looks pretty good, I do have to go back and put the rubber pads under the bolts. I went thru the side where there was a hole already. I just made it bigger....
Old 05-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #35

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I think its a great idea and don't see why it wouldn't work. I like the streamlined look of the egg trailers so I wouldn't want a rooftop unit (same reason why wouldn't put the hood over my fntastic fan so it could be open when its raining outside...want one of those maxxi air units) Another big plus for the ParkLiner was the built in ac unit. Im not looking forward to it getting hot enough to need ac cause I boondock and it means 1.6 gallons of gas for 8 hours runtime lol...But good to have for a just in case situation!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
I think its a great idea and don't see why it wouldn't work. I like the streamlined look of the egg trailers so I wouldn't want a rooftop unit (same reason why wouldn't put the hood over my fntastic fan so it could be open when its raining outside...want one of those maxxi air units) Another big plus for the ParkLiner was the built in ac unit. Im not looking forward to it getting hot enough to need ac cause I boondock and it means 1.6 gallons of gas for 8 hours runtime lol...But good to have for a just in case situation!
I hear you but wait until it gets really hot and then tell us how glad you are about the window unit in there.

I was in the Casita this weekend and it was hot and muggy. I usually don't even consider using Air until it is almost unbearable as the noise just bugs me but I was one happy camper having the roof air this weekend and I have also owned the same exact trailer but with the inside air too for reference.

There is no comparison,having the cold air drop from above is great!
Old 05-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #37

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Yeah Ed...I'm sure its not the same...but i will add a fan to move the air around and survive somehow lol

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:37 AM   #38

Florida
Well, The mini split a/c has been running for over a hour now and it is 64 inside and 80 outside. So, it works! Now back to Home Depot, I want to run it's own ele cord and not plug into the Boler. I am so happy because it was hot as poop painting last weekend. This weekend will be
Attached Thumbnails
100_0164.jpg   100_0165.JPG  

Old 05-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #39

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Congratulations. Please keep us updated as you go along.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #40

Name: Stan
Trailer: in the market
Tennessee
Quote:
Well, The mini split a/c has been running for over a hour now and it is 64 inside and 80 outside. So, it works! Now back to Home Depot, I want to run it's own ele cord and not plug into the Boler. I am so happy because it was hot as poop painting last weekend. This weekend will be
Sweet.
skeelsd is offline   Reply With Quote