Utensil/silverware drawer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2006, 05:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 1992 13 ft Scamp
An upcoming project for us will be installing a silverware drawer above the frig in our '92S13'. Back before the "meltdown" I recall seeing instructions for installing such a drawer. Does anyone out there have records or information to help us out on this?
Diane & Dave
DianeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 06:21 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Hi Diane and Dave,

My husband Steve undertook a similar project, and he also installed a cutting board at the same time. Here's our photos, and his description of what he did...

Click image for larger version

Name:	drawerandcuttingboard1.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	1799
[attachment=2321:attachm
ent]

Name:	drawerandcuttingboard4.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	1802

The combo drawer / cutting board / facing plate was constructed from pine and oak trim to match the countertop and kitchen cabinet doors. The drawer is built entirely of wood, and it fits into a pair of roller glides attached along the bottom. The white poly cutting board slides in just beneath the bottom of the propane burners, and the cutting surface is protected by a thin chopping mat. Both the drawer and cutting board slide back-and forth within a sturdy wooden framework of 2”X2” and 1”X2” supports that are anchored inside the cabinet between the top of the refrigerator and the bottom side of the countertop. The pine facing plate is attached to the framework from the inside with stainless steel screws. During travel, we run a small custom-sized bungee cord from the refrigerator latch, through the cutting board handle, and back to the refrigerator hinge to keep the drawer from opening.

As I remember, the project was a little tricky due to the space restraints involved, but we're so happy with the results. It was well worth the effort. Good luck with your project!

Jeanne
Attached Thumbnails
drawerandcuttingboard2.jpg   drawerandcuttingboard3.jpg  

Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:40 PM   #3

Greetings Jeanne & Steve,
Wow does that look good. We appreciate the pictures and description. It will help us get ours together.
Thank you.
Diane & Dave
Old 03-20-2006, 09:41 PM   #4

Registry
Diane and Dave,

We just ran outside and took a couple of photos of the backside, to show you how the support system works underneath the counter and above the refrigerator. Here is how we did it ...

We built the framework from 3 sets of wooden 2X2" struts (painted white with waterproof epoxy paint). The first strut (inner drawer frame) is a rectangle that goes all the way around the drawer, and it is anchored through the fibreglass to the outer drawer frame (finished natural with spar urathane) with stainless steel wood screws and glue (marine Goop adhesive).

The second and third struts (also painted white) are "U" shaped and wrap around the sides and underneath the drawer. The bottoms of all three struts rest on the top of the refrigerator, and they are also glued with marine goop. The tops of the second and third struts are stabilized by pieces of oak trim, and the oak trim pieces are joined to the first strut (inner drawer frame) by a pair of Stanley "L" brackets.

We used standard drawer roller rails inside the framework, and these are coupled with the rails that are attached to the drawer itself. Finally, we attached a couple of lengths of oak corner trim (finished with urathane) inside the framework to provide the supports for the sliding cutboard (white plastic).

There is not much room to work in the confined space between the countertop and the refrigerator, and the photos show that the cutting board slides in-and-out just a few inches below the bottom of the propane burner. The cutting board also serves to cover the drawer (inside) and keep our silverware from jumping out during travel. The installation was awkward, but it is very solid and the drawer/cutting board combo has performed very well so far.

Good luck with your rennovation, and let us know how it goes!

Steve and Jeanne

Name:	backofcasitadrawer.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	1803
[attachment=2325:attachm
ent]
Attached Thumbnails
backofcasitadrawer2.jpg   drawerandcuttingboard2.jpg  

Old 03-21-2006, 08:03 AM   #5

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Boler and 1980 Trillium 5500
If you would rather not cut the interior up you might consider hanging one under the table. My Boler was equipped with this drawer from the factory. It is convenient, out of the way and stays shut while underway. Cheers, Alec
Attached Thumbnails
bint.jpg  
Al Stansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:03 AM   #6

Greetings Jeanne and Steve,
Good looking project and great discription of the work. The pictures tie it all together. Our older Scamp 13 presents some different challenges, but I think we can do this. We have posed a fairly large album of our renovation project so far in the photos section of Yahoo Scampers Group if you are interested. We have recently finished building new cabinet doors. I'll post a Pict.

Dave and Diane

Name:	pic_doors.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	1809
[attachment=2332:attachm
ent]
Attached Thumbnails
Doors.jpg   F._fan___kitchenette.jpg  

Old 03-21-2006, 06:47 PM   #7

Registry
Diane and Dave,

Your cabinet doors are gorgeous! Nice job. We look forward to seeing your other renovations... so far we haven't joined the Scampers Yahoo group, but this is an impetus to get the website figured out. Are Casita people allowed?

Alec, your drawer under the table solution is a really good one, and certainly much easier than the route we took. Does it make it more difficult to slide onto the bench seat?

best wishes,
Jeanne
Old 03-21-2006, 09:02 PM   #8

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
When I made my new dining table I decided to add a drawer for utensils underneath. Table won't get installed until I finish the flooring so can't say yet if there are design flaws. Precautions allowing for knee room are mandatory in my case so do not expect problems with that, but just in case I also rounded off corners.
Attached Thumbnails
NuTable001.jpg   NuTable002.jpg  

MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:43 AM   #9

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Boler and 1980 Trillium 5500
Hi Jeanne - No, the drawer is located well and doesn't impede at all. The table on the other hand... or maybe it's me! Cheers, Alec
Al Stansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 01:03 PM   #10

Greetings Jeanne and Steve.

Thanks for the encouraging words.

Yahoo "Scampers" group welcomes all camperfolk. Don't be bashful now, you don't have to peak in the windows, come on in. While you are at it join "Scampers Overflow" as well. It was opened to create more photo album space. There are several other fiberglass RVgroups on Yahoo as well. Scampers is the most active there. I don't think it is as active as this one then again most folk active on Scampers are active here as well....who knows. we are working on chronicling the work we have done and will be happy share hints and info.

We are shortening our table, but those under table drawers look really nice.

Dave and Diane
Old 04-21-2006, 09:09 PM   #11

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
At last. Installed my new dinette table with utensils drawer underneath today, and here it is.

Used the old pedestal and original base plates, screwed in with many 12 x 2" SS screws. Looking now to find a good chrome cleaner. I worried adding the drawer might unbalance the table but happily it sits absolutely solid. Zero problems with leg/knee room. Good thing, though, that the top can swivel on that pedestal because sliding in there is a tad tight. Think now that maybe in addition to large radius corners I should have angled the top an inch in going about 6 inches back to give it a skootch more thigh clearance.
Attached Thumbnails
NuTable05.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote