Ventilation during rain - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2019, 02:03 PM   #41

Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
Registry
Whatever happened to jalousie windows? We can have all our jalousies open in a rains torn and nothing gets in to our Trillium.
Pat Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:46 AM   #42

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Ventilation Suggestion.

Conditioned air in foul weather is extremely important to avoid claustrophobic discomfort and interior water damage. Stock small trailers have limited electrical capacity which makes relying full time on fans less than ideal. In moderate temperatures, maximizing natural cross ventilation may do the job without reliance upon electrical power.

To maximize NATURAL cross ventilation should be easy in principle because the wind will supply copious amounts of outside air if its internal flow can be conditioned and controlled. Two things are required to do that: Air, free of precipitation and supplies from any direction. This last requirement is particularly demanding since wind direction is likely to change often with violent weather. Air, free of precipitation can be had by robust adjustable window awnings covering all opening windows. Presently, a robust window awning for the Casita's large aft window has never been successfully installed because of fitment problems.

I am presently working on robust fitment of an aft window awning to solve this problem and allow open windows for both air ingress and egress free of precipitation. This solution, if it works, should greatly improve Casita habitability in inclement weather without dependence upon electrical power.
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:56 PM   #43

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Stephen, Please keep posting on what you are doing and throw in a few pics. Sounds very interesting.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:21 PM   #44

Name: Stephen
Tennessee
Ventilation Suggestion

I'll be glad to keep you posted on my aft awning project. It is clear from the advice of experts that many attempts at aft awning fitment have been total failures. The posts here testify to the need for great strength to withstand storm stresses. My present thinking is a successful fitment will only be had with machined or 3-D printed components. I anticipate a prototype within 30 days. It is clear that the correct fitment of a simple accessory like an awning can have HUGE implications for the habitability and usability of the entire trailer. We'll see.
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 05:33 PM   #45

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
scamp air leaks

I have a 16 foot scamp. I have a fantasic vent on top with a cover. That handles the outflow The scamp has some air leaks like under the door and some other places that I can close up, but if they are not closed up will handle the inflow.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:19 PM   #46

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
J-channel sure would be cheaper then the EZE RV rain gutter system I priced on line and you had to by 50 ft.
Thanks
I always try to think outside the box and somehow this escaped me.

You will have to trim back the nailer strip to about the height of the outer lip.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:22 PM   #47

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Regarding Pat Thomson's question:"Whatever happened to jalousie windows?...Must be they outlawed jalousie windows. Why else wouldn't RV mfr's still use them?
Old 02-23-2019, 10:35 PM   #48

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv Watson View Post
Regarding Pat Thomson's question:"Whatever happened to jalousie windows?...Must be they outlawed jalousie windows. Why else wouldn't RV mfr's still use them?

Because they don't seal sufficiently, resulting in drafts. People don't like drafts unless they paid for A/C.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:38 PM   #49

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Good to know. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:53 PM   #50

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Thomson View Post
Whatever happened to jalousie windows? We can have all our jalousies open in a rains torn and nothing gets in to our Trillium.
Customers who have not worked in manufacturing rarely understand why things are the way they are. They think every thing is clear cut and obvious based on their personal wants and needs. But that is not how it works.

Jalousies have their issues such as it takes more labor hours to produce them being a biggie. More chances for something to go wrong with them, another biggie for the makers of the trailers. The reason for those two things is all of the moving parts involved in creating that window system.

Sliding and awning windows are much easier to produce, install and fine tune before they leave the factory. They have fewer problems in service because they are less complex units. This leads to a reduction in service calls for repairs and also fewer bad reviews both of which matter quite a lot when you are in the business of manufacturing and equally important to the dealers.

So awning windows became the choice to put into units to allow for ventilation during rain. Another major factor is the small segment of the market of trailers that have sloped walls was not enough to impact the volume of sales of windows styles that are more suited to flat sided trailers and motorhomes but not so great on sloped wall units. The larger market section trumps every time when it comes to what is getting produced for sale.

Another factor for loss of jalousie window maker's is in homes the jalousie window market declined due to their vulnerability for home intrusion and the difficulty of installing security alarms on them.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:55 AM   #51

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Thomson View Post
I agree with Glenn and KC’s assessments regarding the reasons for the decline in jalousie windows- cost, complexity, and greater potential for leaks and other warranty issues.

When jalousies were common in travel trailers, A/C was unheard of. Now that A/C is ubiquitous, jalousies just leak out all that costly conditioned air. Don't know if that's progress or regress, but I digress...

Responding to Pat's question, I would mention that Scamp has installed radius jalousies on all the side windows in every model since around 2010 and the sky hasn’t fallen. It didn’t raise the price significantly, and most people seem satisfied with their performance. Long-term they’ll probably have more issues than sliders, but folks seem to accept that in return for the benefits. They’re made by Hehr, so parts and seals are available. Radius jalousies don’t give quite the wide-open ventilation of traditional full jalousies, but like the old style they can be left open in the rain, and they open wider than awning windows to catch more breezes.

Name:   Scamp.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  40.8 KB

So, the jalousie option is still there (Trillium Sidekick used them, too), but...

In the context of this thread, Bigfoot is a four-season trailer with thermal (double pane) windows. It would not be practical to make thermal, jalousie-style windows due to the complexity and inefficiency of the seals. That's also the main reason they disappeared from the residential market.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:02 AM   #52

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Seems like, to bring wet air into the camper during rain would actually increase the moisture inside ! Especially along the path between the window and the fan.. NO ?

My understanding of those rear window vents was to keep RAIN from entering, in the event that rain started while that window was open.
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:23 AM   #53

Arizona
Registry
Ventilation during rain

If a trailer is closed tight, the heat and moisture of human activity is added to the ambient humidity. That will quickly turn into a sauna. With some ventilation, it will be no worse than outside. Moist cool air is better than moist warm air. Unless there is mechanical dehumidification happening- A/C running- that’s the best you can do.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:20 AM   #54

Name: tom
Trailer: casita
Connecticut
Easy and effective solution

When we were Casita shopping, one of the demonstrating owners gave the following suggestion which is simple and very effective. We use it only on the two side windows over the bed simply because that's all the ventilation we need during rain and most other times.

Purchase a piece of plexiglass at a Depot store. There is a standard size which when cut in half it's perfect for your Casita. The finished halves will be about 15 in by 18 in (guessing here as Casita is stored away). This stuff is only about 1/8 inch thick and can be easily stored behind your dinette cushion. When rain is threatened, simply attach one of these outside over the window in question using masking tape all the way across the plexiglass. Do this before it rains as I do not believe tape will stick to wet fiberglass. A support strut, perhaps 8 in long, rests on the outside window ledge and the bottom of the awning to hold the bottom of this homemade awning away from the window allowing ventilation. you might hold that strut in place with some Velcro. you will be able to open your windows maybe 8 in allowing for sufficient overlap to keep rain from entering. We often run the ceiling fan with these awnings in place if we need more than natural ventilation. It does not pull rain in.

I use these things whenever it rains and no rain has entered our Casita. They do not blow off are easy to apply and remove and very effective. Good luck. I'm really thankful to those owners who like most, really loved their Casita.
hts1190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:01 AM   #55

Name: Rusty
Michigan
Hi Glen,
Your awning looks different, is that an original Casita awning?
RustyCutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:20 PM   #56

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyCutter View Post
Hi Glen,
Your awning looks different, is that an original Casita awning?
If you are referring to post #6, Glenn's trailer is an Escape, not a Casita. I believe Escape installs Carefree awnings, while Casita installs Fiamma awnings.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:17 PM   #57

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
If you are referring to post #6, Glenn's trailer is an Escape, not a Casita. I believe Escape installs Carefree awnings, while Casita installs Fiamma awnings.

Who? Me?
Yup, it's an Escape and the awning is Carefree of Colorado Fiesta.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:39 AM   #58

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
How do you keep your RV ventilated during period of heavy rain in hot weather? I have MaxxAir Window Maxx air vents on my Casita but they are no longer made, and I cannot find any knockoff or substitute for this type of product. I now own a BigFoot and it has the same type of sliding windows.
We have sliders on our boler and venting in rain was also a problem. We installed spring loaded awnings over the two side windows. They are actually over-the-door awnings from big rigs. You can adjust how far unfurled they are.
Attached Thumbnails
awnings open.jpg