Ventilation during rain - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-17-2019, 04:32 PM   #1

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Ventilation during rain

How do you keep your RV ventilated during period of heavy rain in hot weather? I have MaxxAir Window Maxx air vents on my Casita but they are no longer made, and I cannot find any knockoff or substitute for this type of product. I now own a BigFoot and it has the same type of sliding windows.

Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:55 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Lite House
Minnesota
Registry
I have one window under the awning and a Maxxair Deluxe roof fan that is rain shielded. Between the two I can ventilate even during a downpour.

Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:11 PM   #3

Tennessee
Thanks Steve, but I thought that awnings were to be used as sunshades, and not in the rain. What happens when it is both raining and windy?
Old 02-17-2019, 05:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
I have a MaxxAir Fan Mate which is a cover for the Fantastic Fan. They don't make the particular model I have any longer but they have other offers. I depend on the bath vent to provide cross ventilation in the rain.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:59 PM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape21 DeJa View pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Time to upgrade to a model with awning windows and a MaxxFan with built in rain guard.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:14 PM   #6

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Thanks Steve, but I thought that awnings were to be used as sunshades, and not in the rain. What happens when it is both raining and windy?

In rain and wind, I often reef the awning in so it's a half or third open. It still serves to shield the door and windows.
Attached Thumbnails
Awning half open.jpg  
Old 02-17-2019, 08:24 PM   #7

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
In rain and wind, I often reef the awning in so it's a half or third open. It still serves to shield the door and windows.
Same here. Our Carefree Fiesta awning is quite sturdy even in some serious wind and rain, provided it's only deployed out a couple feet. We weathered a very strong storm a couple of years ago down on the gulf coast, torrential rain and strong winds, and the awning deployed about 2 or 3 feet worked fine, even though the manufacturer says that's a no no. If it could handle that, your average rain storm is no problem.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:37 PM   #8

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
Quote:
How do you keep your RV ventilated during period of heavy rain in hot weather? I have MaxxAir Window Maxx air vents on my Casita but they are no longer made, and I cannot find any knockoff or substitute for this type of product. I now own a BigFoot and it has the same type of sliding windows.

Are you saying you don't have a roof mounted fan? and you need something for the windows? Is there any way to put an electric (or battery operated) stand alone fan near the window and push moisture out that way? I've never tried that, but it's a thought.

Good luck as you sure want to get that moisture out. I'd also carry some of those Dri-Z type pellets with you (or something similar) to help absorb the moisture.

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:21 AM   #9

Tennessee
Thanks for the thought Laura. We do have a fantastic fan. But the way we currently use it is to have a window open, protected by the window Maxx from rain intrusion, which allows air to flow in, and run the ceiling powered fan to take air out. This method has always worked well for us.
Without being able to open a window to allow air in just running a ceiling fan would be much less efficient. So I am hoping someone will have come up with a way to cover the window so it can be open but not allow rain in during periods od heavy blowing rainstorms, such as we have in the southeast.
Leaving the awning out a bit might do it, and which I will try out. I have contacted a company which may be willing to make something similar to the window Maxx, but perhaps out of a different material and somewhat different design.
For instance, someone put one of those auto window vents, which runs along the top of the side vehicle window, on a Casita window. It looks great, but as far as I can understand it, will do nothing to keep the rain out. Still, it is an interesting attempt.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:33 AM   #10

Tennessee
Steve L., I will give your idea a shot also. I will be putting a vent cover over the Fan-Tastic fan. The bathroom fan is a small exhaust fan of dubious origin. I may remove it and install another fantastic fan in its location, but will wait and use it a bit first. It does not yet have a rain cover, so not sure I will use it when raining. Also the two fans are close to each other, so having air come in out and out the other may not be optimal.

I will pursue the cross ventilation possibilities, which seems the ideal way to maximize airflow, but finding a way to keep the window open with no rain intrusion seems remote at this point.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:47 AM   #11

Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
To be clear, I vent the Fantastic fan out and I just open the bath fan. I don't run the bath fan (except for showers). The FF just sucks air "backwards" through the shower fan opening. It helps me if I crack the bath door a bit too.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:00 AM   #12

Tennessee
Seems reasonable Steve L. I pick up the unit from the dealership tomorrow. Since it is projected to rain continuously for the next few days here in the SE, I will give your method a try.

Sending you a private message.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:35 AM   #13

Name: Yvon
Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft 1992
Quebec
I have a bigfoot 17 and for the ventilation I have a maxfan in the main room and an air access of 14 "in the bathroom I make the IN fan work and exit the air by the bathroom trap which is provided with a maxair cover
Yvon Chayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:52 AM   #14

Tennessee
Thank you Yvon. Steve L said something similar. I will try your method.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:16 AM   #15

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I followed a similar discussion here on FGRV years ago when we owned a Scamp with slider style windows. I learned of the Maxx window vent and installed them, but did not have anything but the escape hatch on the roof, so not enough air movement was the norm during warm rainy days. When we ordered our Lil Snoozy, I ordered Jalousie windows from HEHR and had LS install them in place of the slider style windows they normally use, and I also had them install a MAXX FAN instead of a Fantastic Fan they normally use. I really want to thank everyone who shares their knowledge and experiences here, so others can enjoy better outcomes with their set-ups.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:18 AM   #16

Washington
Quote:
For instance, someone put one of those auto window vents, which runs along the top of the side vehicle window, on a Casita window. It looks great, but as far as I can understand it, will do nothing to keep the rain out. Still, it is an interesting attempt.

Okay, I think I kind-of know what you're talking about, however I'm clueless about this Window Maxx fan, having never seen one. (Or if I have, I didn't realize what I was looking at.)

So, you want to keep the rain out but not put your awning out due to the rain and/or wind. I get that. I don't put mine out when it's raining as I don't want to put it away wet as I really don't want to deal with mold up there. Where I park the trailer at home I can't deploy the awning more than a few inches. However, that will change in a few months when we remove the old, rotting shed and put in a new one much farther back.

Anywho - have you thought about some sort of temporary awning? I remember seeing someone with one of those at the Bandon OR rally last summer. It was attached with suction cups, I believe. That way you could have one over just the window you want to open for ventilation. I don't know how sturdy it would be for wind, though.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:37 AM   #17

Tennessee
Laura

This is a Window Maxx. Works very well.

Trying to upload pic, does not seem to be working.
Attached Thumbnails
window_maxx.jpg  
Old 02-18-2019, 11:55 AM   #18

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2010 Little Joe / 2010 2 Dr Jeep Wrangler
Colorado
Any ideas where you can still find window_max... I thought they had been discontinued
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:18 PM   #19

Washington
Quote:
Laura

This is a Window Maxx. Works very well.

Henry - thanks! I remember seeing those on some websites but didn't remember/realize that's what they're called.

Nifty idea! I hope you can get it figured out. :

Old 02-18-2019, 12:44 PM   #20

Tennessee
They have been discontinued. Nobody is sure why, since so many people would like to buy one.