Venting portable AC into RV - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2013, 06:50 AM   #21

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Here is a good thread Katie,
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post401271
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:06 AM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Wisconsin View Post
We left our camp site at 2:00am yesterday due to over 100 degree temperatures... it was like a death box in our 13 foot Scamp with myself, my husband, our two year old daughter, and our elderly dog. Almost close to selling it as the ventilation is terrible. Ours only has the ceiling screen/vent, two small side windows. No screen door or other opening windows. Need help and really don't want to put much more than a few hundred dollars into it.

Thanks
You are not going to be comfortable in 100 degree heat with Minnesota humidity, no matter how much ventilation you have. For that, you need air conditioning. For the two hundred dollar budget you have set, that means sticking a window air conditioner in somewhere. Some have made a temporary mount so the AC unit travels in the tow vehicle, but quickly mounts in a camper window, some have installed a window AC permanently in a camper window by replacing the glass with wood or metal and others have cut a hole in the side of the camper and mounted the AC unit in a closet or storage space. You can find examples of all of these solutions, here, with a search.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #23

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Years ago I installed a 5000 Btu window-type AC under the bed in the rear of our Burro. Complicated duct work, holes in the floor only, 2 helper fans. (The detailed description of this install was likely lost in the hack a number of years ago).

About 4 weeks ago we traveled from Portland to the NE corner of North Dakota to visit a friend, intending to meander through Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, etc. on our way back. It was hot, muggy, and buggy, so after ND we cut it short and headed home, resolving to concentrate on the shoulder seasons when we venture too far east. We may have hot weather at times in Oregon, but generally the humidity is more moderate and the mosquitoes do not eat at my allergic wife.

During this trip we opted for the pricier state parks more often, for the hookups. The AC was usually started up as soon as we hooked up, and kept it bearable until the sun was blocked. Then the inside temp started to plunge, as you might suspect.

If time and finances allow I intend to replace the AC with a 10,000 Btu unit, ditch the helper fans, double the intake ducting, ditto for the cool air ducting inside, and vent the hot air outside through one of those frig vents.

For our use, the need to accomplish cool down more quickly is the key thing, and I have no particular problem with cutting the fiberglass either. While we really don't go camping with the idea of sitting inside that much, there are times when the conditions are a bit much and some relief is needed. That said, the times we used the puny AC we have it was the difference between sweaty exhaustion and quite comfortable existence allowing for the slow cool down.

I have probably a somewhat harsh view of the one-hose portable AC units in that they, as Brian pointed out, suck as much hot air in through various crevices as they deliver coolth. If you plant your body right in front of one it may do you some good, but as for cooling an enclosed space they are about useless. Maybe they should be considered thermal fraud, especially when you analyze what is actually taking place when you run one. There, I've "vented," and I apologize.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #24

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Like Per in the previous post we decided not to cut a hole in the fiberglass and cut thru the wooden floor instead, drawing cool air from below the trailer and exhausting, with a small fan assist, the hot air out the bottom. A number of people have taken this path. We used a 5000 btu unit.

It's definitely not a rocket cooler but it gradually brings the temperature down. It almost immediately feels more comfortable in the trailer because we blow the cool exhaust air around. As well it seems to quickly drop the humidity. One nice feature of the small air conditioner is that it only draws 5 amps.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #25

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Katie, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

There are lots of kind and helpful people here on the forums. You're already getting good suggestions about A/C solutions.

Please let us know what you come up with that works best for you
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote