Venting portable AC into RV - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 13
Arizona
Venting portable AC into RV

We are still considering a spot portable AC unit for our 13' Scamp to take along in those very rare instances we'll need AC. Such a unit will sit outside the RV with the cold air routed in via dryer hose.

My preference would be to install a permanent port through one of the windows after having a glass shop cut the hole. Of course, said port would need to be closed off when not in use. I do not want a permanent AC mount, nor do I want to cut through the fiberglass shell.

Linked below is the best port option I've been able to find so far. I would need to modify a bit and also create a cover. Wondered if anyone has any good alternatives or knows of a more suitable product?

Dryer Dock Vent Hose Quick Connect - Amazon.com
morz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #2

Name: Vanessa
Trailer: UHaul
California
Registry
Wow...that's easy enough. I just got back from camping through some 100+ temps and gotta say...even in Northern California, I never thought I'd need the AC that's mounted in my window.

Well I did use it and it ended up leaking all over my bedding, into the foam topper! ugh!

I want that thing out and am looking at alternatives. I have a fantastic fan which works fine, but it was pretty hot even in the evenings over the holiday week.

I hadn't even considered a portable unit...hmmmm will be looking into it too. Thanx!
luvrOlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by morz4 View Post
......Wondered if anyone has any good alternatives or knows of a more suitable product?
As you don't want a hole in the fiberglass, have you considered cutting a hole in the floor? You could seal it up with a deck plate.

Amazon.com: deck plates for boats

The reviews on these types of AC units are not good, though I see the appeal.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1999
I like the idea of a seldom used, hence portable air conditioner for those hot and humid days. And I like the floor deck plate option instead of cutting fiberglass.

So... how many out there are using portable ac that requires a hose (or two) for fresh air/exhaust...and do you like them? Do they work well enough for their intended purpose?
Mark J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #5

Arizona
Vanessa -

As you investigate, you'll find two types of portables: those in which the unit sits inside with a need to vent the hot air out (as well as the condensate); and those that sit outside with the cool air routed in (the Spot type). I feel the Spot type is better for me, due to the confines of a 13'.

You may note lower customer satisfaction in reviews for Spot type AC units. Please note that is almost exclusively due to the units " ... putting out more hot air than cold." They do, as do all AC units. That's the reason for venting needs, one direction or the other.

Mike
Old 07-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #6

Arizona
And this is why I love these forums!

Thanks, Tom. Until you informed me, I was totally unaware of the existence of these deck plates. The through the floor idea is totally viable. I'm also going to look at these as a through the glass option.

Mike
Old 07-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The normal installation of portable A/C units needing outside venting is to open a window, insert the provided plate holding the hose fitting(s), and close the window on it. Of course, this only works with a sliding window, and most egg sliders have rounded corners that the standard plate won't fit. Why not just make a custom plate to fit the window - if there is a conveniently located slider - and put it in when you need it?

The quick connector for the dryer vent is a slick idea - thanks Mike - but the plate in the window would avoid any permanent modification.

Also, the most effective portable A/C units have two vent hoses - intake and exhaust - so two ports would be needed. Some units have only one hose - exhaust - but they suck hot outside air into the trailer through where ever it can get in.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #8

Arizona
Your suggestion is one option I'm considering, Brian. The spot type units don't typically come with such a plate. Yet it does appear window installation plates can be purchased separately. Or, as you've indicated, one could easily be custom crafted.

I'm not familiar with the units requiring two hoses. I did see a photo on the Arizona Roundup site showing a teardrop which appears it may have such a unit installed. I don't want violate a copyright so the image I'm referencing can be found by scrolling to slide 30 after opening the page linked here: 2012 Buckskin Mountain State Park -- Photo Album

We will be joining this group for the December 2013 Buckskin SP event. Perhaps the owner of that teardrop will be there so I can check out the installation first-hand.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #9

I was thinking of the two-hose units which are placed inside the building/trailer, so the hoses carry outside air in and out - the one in slide 30 is placed outside, carrying inside air in the hoses.

For an example, the first one I found at Home Depot (US site) is the Whynter 14,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner - bigger than we need, and just an example of the two-hose setup.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I was thinking of the two-hose units which are placed inside the building/trailer, so the hoses carry outside air in and out - the one in slide 30 is placed outside, carrying inside air in the hoses.

For an example, the first one I found at Home Depot (US site) is the Whynter 14,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner - bigger than we need, and just an example of the two-hose setup.
Right - Google dual hose air conditioners - example at Amazon .
Old 07-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #11

Arizona
Thanks, gentlemen. Just afraid the BTU ratings on two hose models, combined with the space consideration in a 13 footer might be overkill. What I'm considering is a unit like the one linked below, sitting outside, with the cool air piped in.
Air Conditioners | Portable Air Conditioners | Portable Air Conditioner - Spot Cooler - SAC-18 - 6,200 BTU | 796000 - GlobalIndustrial.com
Old 07-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Just afraid the BTU ratings on two hose models, combined with the space consideration in a 13 footer might be overkill.
They are big. An outside two-hose unit could use the same window plate scheme, just with the hoses on the outside instead of the inside... if there is a window suitably placed relative to a good A/C unit location.

I don't think that spot cooler is intended for outside installation - it is for inside use, making a small spot of cooler air in a big room. Running it outside means potential weatherproofing issues (I wouldn't want it exposed to rain), and it means taking hot outside air (instead of already cooler inside air) and trying to chill it down to the desired temperature. A two-hose outside-mounted unit (like the one shown in that linked photo #30) circulates the inside air, and makes more sense to me.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #13

Arizona
Good points, Brian. Your post influenced me to dig a little deeper. I think I found what may be a good solution ... likely the unit in photo 30.

CR 5000 Heating & Air Conditioning
Old 07-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Good points, Brian. Your post influenced me to dig a little deeper. I think I found what may be a good solution ... likely the unit in photo 30.

CR 5000 Heating & Air Conditioning
Neat solution. I love everything but the $500 price.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #15

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
You could always do what I did!
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...les-53223.html
Old 07-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkman View Post

Jason, did you ever add additional fans?
Old 07-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #17

New York
Registry
Yes Tom and it works great!
This is what i used to increase the air flow.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_234523-1061-...ing&facetInfo=
Old 07-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkman View Post
Yes Tom and it works great!
This is what i used to increase the air flow.
Shop SUNCOURT 4-in x 6-in Galvanized Duct at Lowes.com
Great, thanks for the follow up. I may pursue something like this. I'm kicking myself for not buying the 5000 btu AC units closed out at Target for $25 last fall.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #19

New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Great, thanks for the follow up. I may pursue something like this. I'm kicking myself for not buying the 5000 btu AC units closed out at Target for $25 last fall.
I like it because I did not have to cut any holes anywhere in the trailer (inside or out) Also I did not loose any storage space that would have been taken up by the air conditioner being installed under the front bench. The only down side is it is one more thing to get out of the truck set up and plug in.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #20

Name: Katie
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
We left our camp site at 2:00am yesterday due to over 100 degree temperatures... it was like a death box in our 13 foot Scamp with myself, my husband, our two year old daughter, and our elderly dog. Almost close to selling it as the ventilation is terrible. Ours only has the ceiling screen/vent, two small side windows. No screen door or other opening windows. Need help and really don't want to put much more than a few hundred dollars into it.

Thanks
Katie Wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote