Ventura reno - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-28-2017, 07:23 AM   #21
Member
 
philtripp's Avatar
 
Name: Phil
Trailer: Ventura
Manitoba
Posts: 62
It is a 77. I will post some photos of the decals and infor sheet on the interior. most of the decal on the outside are faded and not readable but I will post anyway
__________________

philtripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:00 PM   #22
Member
 
Kkat's Avatar
 
Name: Kerri
Trailer: Venture Industries
Oregon
Posts: 35
Mystery Venture/a

Hello Patricia,
I just looked at your beautiful trailer and the whole story of your renovation! WOW. Inspiring. Mine just arrived (person I got it from delivered it), and it is so so sad. See my photos on the "new person" thread if you want to help me figure out what the heck it is. Trashed, for one thing. Your step-by-step descriptions of your work will be so helpful! I originally thought it was a Boler (since someone put a plate on it that says "Bo Bo"), but it is NOT. However, now I have renewed hope I may be able to pull it with my Honda CRV (couldn't with a Boler).
__________________

Kkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:52 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Patricia D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Posts: 349
Kkat,
If I can, I would certainly be happy to answer any questions you may have as you start on your trailer.
Aside from the back side windows, the grill by the door and the door itself, it certainly looks like a Ventura.
Jon may be onto the answer with the suggestion that someone may have acquired the molds after the plant closed. As you probably already know. Ventura trailers were made by Monarch Industries in Gimli, Manitoba not by Venture.
Despite its origins, I think the construction will be much the same as a Ventura so you will be able to call on this forum for help as you go along.
Keep us posted on your progress, if you have time.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:55 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Patricia D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Posts: 349
After having the trailer in to the shop for new brakes, tires and rims, I have finally been able to get to the interior of the trailer in earnest. Over the last 3 weeks I have been working on the wall paneling and the cabinets.
It is slow going. I had a plan in mind (and sketched on graph paper) but I am pretty much just making it up as I go along because nothing on the body is square. Each wall flares out in the middle where the belly band is and narrows again to the floor and also the walls widen outward from back to middle and then narrow again toward the front. The only reference points that can be counted on are a line down the middle back to front and another side to side and everything has to be measured from there.

I should mention that the way I am finishing the inside now is for one person, with a 30" bed that is higher than the standard bench (about 19" to accommodate the Thetford Curve portapotty under the bench during the day). Both benches are the same height. Nothing that I am doing in the bed area could not be undone in very short order and the original 46" bed can still be configured in this scenario.

I have changed the original design quite a bit. I now will have a "sink cabinet" on the side opposite the door with a tall cabinet between it and the bench. The sink cabinet runs right to the front wall. Under this cabinet will be water and waste jugs (accessible from the outside through a hatch door that I installed), a water heater and a water pump.
The tall cabinet will have shelving in the top section, a pullout cooler shelf in the middle and some storage at the bottom.
There will be a "stove cabinet" where part of the front bench was. In this cupboard will be a pullout shelf for my Coleman stove and bucket "drawers" for storage.
Where the tall cabinet was, just to the left of the door will be a short cabinet with some support going up the wall to a cabinet at ceiling. In the short cabinet will be the electrical systems.
The bed is going to run down that side from the back to the door. It is long enough for me.
I have included a few pics of my progress so far. The cabinets are made of 1/2,3/8,1/2" baltic or regular birch ply. Temporarily, on top of several of the cabinets are pieces of rigid insulation that I am using as templates for the countertops. The cabinets are still a bit rough looking because I have yet to do the trim work and doors.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1954.jpg   IMG_1944.jpg  

IMG_1948.jpg  
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:48 AM   #25
Member
 
Kkat's Avatar
 
Name: Kerri
Trailer: Venture Industries
Oregon
Posts: 35
WoW!
I am really enjoying, and will benefit from all you work. Thank you for the pictures. My first step with my little one will be making sure there are no leaks, before the rains come....
__________________
Erleichda!
Kkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:32 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Patricia D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Posts: 349
Thanks Kkat.
Yes I spend a long time addressing the leaks but it is necessary if you are going to put your time and energy into redoing your trailer. It would be a shame to do the work only to have water damage.
If you are going to change things around at all, give a lot of thought to how the weight will be balanced in the final product from side to side and loads in the front and back.
And above all, have fun.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:14 PM   #27
Member
 
Kkat's Avatar
 
Name: Kerri
Trailer: Venture Industries
Oregon
Posts: 35
Yes. Excellent point about the fun part!
__________________
Erleichda!
Kkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:32 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia D. View Post
After having the trailer in to the shop for new brakes, tires and rims, I have finally been able to get to the interior of the trailer in earnest. Over the last 3 weeks I have been working on the wall paneling and the cabinets.
It is slow going. I had a plan in mind (and sketched on graph paper) but I am pretty much just making it up as I go along because nothing on the body is square. Each wall flares out in the middle where the belly band is and narrows again to the floor and also the walls widen outward from back to middle and then narrow again toward the front. The only reference points that can be counted on are a line down the middle back to front and another side to side and everything has to be measured from there.

I should mention that the way I am finishing the inside now is for one person, with a 30" bed that is higher than the standard bench (about 19" to accommodate the Thetford Curve portapotty under the bench during the day). Both benches are the same height. Nothing that I am doing in the bed area could not be undone in very short order and the original 46" bed can still be configured in this scenario.

I have changed the original design quite a bit. I now will have a "sink cabinet" on the side opposite the door with a tall cabinet between it and the bench. The sink cabinet runs right to the front wall. Under this cabinet will be water and waste jugs (accessible from the outside through a hatch door that I installed), a water heater and a water pump.
The tall cabinet will have shelving in the top section, a pullout cooler shelf in the middle and some storage at the bottom.
There will be a "stove cabinet" where part of the front bench was. In this cupboard will be a pullout shelf for my Coleman stove and bucket "drawers" for storage.
Where the tall cabinet was, just to the left of the door will be a short cabinet with some support going up the wall to a cabinet at ceiling. In the short cabinet will be the electrical systems.
The bed is going to run down that side from the back to the door. It is long enough for me.
I have included a few pics of my progress so far. The cabinets are made of 1/2,3/8,1/2" baltic or regular birch ply. Temporarily, on top of several of the cabinets are pieces of rigid insulation that I am using as templates for the countertops. The cabinets are still a bit rough looking because I have yet to do the trim work and doors.
Hi Patricia . Wow , You have been busy ! Nice work ! The door looks real nice . I remember when you were working on the fiberglass in the doorway and the windows . Can't wait to see the interior all finished . Your son should be proud of his Mom ! Pat of Linda and Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:56 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Patricia D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Posts: 349
Thanks, Pat. I am frantically trying to get at least the basics done before the cold weather hits and I need to put the trailer away for the winter. I am really hoping to go on my "grand tour" of south and west US this winter, if the trailer is liveable.
I have 3 sons and am not sure if they are proud. Bemused, yes. They are used to my always having a house renovation project on the go, so this is just Mom doing her thing. But at least this thing will get me on the road to visiting them across the country.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:06 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Buggeee's Avatar
 
Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
Posts: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia D. View Post
Still left to do on the exterior: use Por 15 on the hitch and bumper
Patricia you camper is turning out Great! It looks really clean and your attention to detail is impressive and motivating.

As I recall, Por 15 is not UV protected, meaning don't have it in the sun. Its great on car frames because they are never exposed to sunshine. If you are going to (or have) used it on your hitch and bumper you should top-coat it with paint to keep it from degrading in the sun. The can will probably let you know that you can top coat it within a certain amount of time (like a day) and after that you can top coat it if you lightly sand it with sandpaper or a scotch brite pad first to give the topcoat something to adhere to.

You are going to love traveling with that camper of yours and when you pull into your son's places they will definitely be proud, if not stunned, and the bemusement will be all yours.
Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:22 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
Patricia D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Posts: 349
Thanks Buggeee,
I tried to find Por 15 but could only get the large can which would have been a waste. Amazon has the starter kits which would have been just about right but they were very expensive. When I had the trailer in the shop, the mechanic recommended using Tremclad. I sanded all the old rust off with my grinder and painted it. The paint (not spray) was very thick and so far, after several wet days, the hitch and bumper are looking good.
By the way, I love your dome and also your floor is impressive. You should never have to worry about water damage.
You are obviously enjoying the process. Keep on having fun.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:34 AM   #32
Junior Member
 
Name: Sean
Trailer: Ventura
Manitoba
Posts: 2
Hi Patricia! Can you describe what you did to reinforce the roof? I'm currently rebuilding my Ventura and fixing the sagging roof is on my to do list.
understep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:16 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia D. View Post
Thanks Buggeee,
I tried to find Por 15 but could only get the large can which would have been a waste. Amazon has the starter kits which would have been just about right but they were very expensive. When I had the trailer in the shop, the mechanic recommended using Tremclad. I sanded all the old rust off with my grinder and painted it. The paint (not spray) was very thick and so far, after several wet days, the hitch and bumper are looking good.
By the way, I love your dome and also your floor is impressive. You should never have to worry about water damage.
You are obviously enjoying the process. Keep on having fun.
Hi Pat ! Still following your progress ! Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:49 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Patricia D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Posts: 349
Hi Linda and Pat,
I am still plugging along. The weather remains good enough for me to carry on and I am now doing the trim work and doors on the cabinets. I will post pics soon. Thanks for keeping in touch.
understep,
I tried several things like attempting to reinforce the current "beams" that did not do the job. At that point in my reno I was a rank newbie and attempting to follow the advice of another owner who attached 3/4 in aluminum as reinforcement. I realized later that I had bought the wrong product and it was a fail. If you search the Ventura forum, I think you will find his method. I think it was Dudley.
In several places where the roof was bad, I used mat and resin to attach some 1x4 wooden supports right to the shell to stiffen it. This was tricky because there is a curve in the roof so you can't use long pieces or there will be bulges on the roof exterior (I have one) which only compounds the problem.
All the time I had the trailer stripped out, I had homemade jacks in place and would gently and incrementally raise the roof to try to restore the curve.
Careful though, as too much can cause cracking. (I have two though not serious)
Finally, I decided to sacrifice 3/4 in of height and made about six 1x2 new supports for the original beams that run from side to side. The supports run at 90 degrees to the existing beams, from back to front, and are notched at each end to sit just below and be screwed up into the beams where the roof meets the front and back walls. Doing this restored the curve of the roof (inside) very nicely and now that the birch plywood is on and varathaned, the gentle arch is my favourite part of the trailer.
What I have done has strengthened the roof and I believe it will now hold its current shape. I like to think that I have stabilized it.
I do not think that it is the original shape on the outside as it is slightly higher at the front and back walls but it is okay where the fan is so I don't have to worry about water standing there. It is a bit rough on the exterior from some patching but not bad and I am confident it will not be leaking.
Again, this being my first ever trailer, I make it up as I go along, taking into account the excellent advice and tips form this forum. I have made mistakes, as noted here. I am sure others will cringe at some of the things I have done but if others can learn from my mistakes, I am happy with that.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:46 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia D. View Post
Hi Linda and Pat,
I am still plugging along. The weather remains good enough for me to carry on and I am now doing the trim work and doors on the cabinets. I will post pics soon. Thanks for keeping in touch.
understep,
I tried several things like attempting to reinforce the current "beams" that did not do the job. At that point in my reno I was a rank newbie and attempting to follow the advice of another owner who attached 3/4 in aluminum as reinforcement. I realized later that I had bought the wrong product and it was a fail. If you search the Ventura forum, I think you will find his method. I think it was Dudley.
In several places where the roof was bad, I used mat and resin to attach some 1x4 wooden supports right to the shell to stiffen it. This was tricky because there is a curve in the roof so you can't use long pieces or there will be bulges on the roof exterior (I have one) which only compounds the problem.
All the time I had the trailer stripped out, I had homemade jacks in place and would gently and incrementally raise the roof to try to restore the curve.
Careful though, as too much can cause cracking. (I have two though not serious)
Finally, I decided to sacrifice 3/4 in of height and made about six 1x2 new supports for the original beams that run from side to side. The supports run at 90 degrees to the existing beams, from back to front, and are notched at each end to sit just below and be screwed up into the beams where the roof meets the front and back walls. Doing this restored the curve of the roof (inside) very nicely and now that the birch plywood is on and varathaned, the gentle arch is my favourite part of the trailer.
What I have done has strengthened the roof and I believe it will now hold its current shape. I like to think that I have stabilized it.
I do not think that it is the original shape on the outside as it is slightly higher at the front and back walls but it is okay where the fan is so I don't have to worry about water standing there. It is a bit rough on the exterior from some patching but not bad and I am confident it will not be leaking.
Again, this being my first ever trailer, I make it up as I go along, taking into account the excellent advice and tips form this forum. I have made mistakes, as noted here. I am sure others will cringe at some of the things I have done but if others can learn from my mistakes, I am happy with that.
Good for you , Pat . I can't wait to see the pictures ! Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:29 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Posts: 2,913
your work

fantastic work!!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:36 AM   #37
Junior Member
 
Name: carma
Trailer: ventura
Alberta
Posts: 21
Your little Ventura is so beautiful, I love the way you've reconfigured the interior.....It makes me want to tackle mine. If I had a place at home to a work on it, I would be tempted to gut mine too but I hope to be able I to get away I with just a facelift. Im considering a mini Reno tho ,- I'd really like to put a counter along the front instead of the bench, and raise the height of the seating seating at the bed/table for more storage.

I haven't picked mine up yet, decided I might as well get the proper wiring harness installed on my vehicle instead of just purchasing an adapter. I'll pick it up next weekend, really lucky the weather seems to be cooperating Looking at pics of yours when you first got it makes me wonder if there will be more work to do on mine than I'm anticipating....I guess I'll find out soon enough!

Did you really just learn as you went, with info and advice from these forums? Surely you had some building skills from before, everything looks so professionally done...I'm quite intimidated by your willingness to take on such a daunting challenge...Awesome work, Patricia
, Can't wait to see it finished!
cajabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:01 AM   #38
Senior Member
 
Patricia D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajabu View Post
Did you really just learn as you went, with info and advice from these forums? Surely you had some building skills from before, everything looks so professionally done...I'm quite intimidated by your willingness to take on such a daunting challenge.
Thanks for your comments.
You are correct, I have had experience renovating houses with a partner and a condo that I did on my own. Though certainly still an amateur, over time I have learned to do plumbing, basic electrical, some cabinetry, drywall etc. by asking lots of questions at building stores, consulting library books in the pre-internet era, watching TV shows like This Old House. My point being that it is possible to learn what you need to know with time and devotion.
I don't think I would have had the courage to take on a trailer without that background but I also was fooled into a "how hard can it be" attitude.
I did not anticipate that there are lots of aspects of trailer reno that are so different from house reno like the mechanical (tires, brakes etc.), fiberglass, structural issues, weight considerations, working in a tiny space with angled walls.
My work in the trailer is not perfect by any means and I have made mistakes and know there are things I should have done differently.

I guess I am cautioning you that taking on a complete reno is not for the faint of heart and would be a steep learning curve without some relevant background. But it also depends on your expectations. With more experience comes higher expectations for the finished product. My standards for exterior fiberglassing and painting were not as high as for the interior finishing because, being a fg novice, I finally settled for good enough.
Having a less ambitious plan, using some of what exists and reconfiguring some would seem to be a more realistic way to go. I like to think that is what I would do if I ever took on another trailer but probably not.
Whatever you choose to do, best of luck and this forum will be a great resource for you.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:42 PM   #39
Junior Member
 
Name: carma
Trailer: ventura
Alberta
Posts: 21
thanks patricia, good advice. i can easily see how this could become an obsession. i do have some relevant skills/experience and i'm well equipped with power tools, lacking in electrical knowledge and anything beyond basic building...unless building ikea furniture/cabinets counts . i can easily see how this could become an obsession, i'm both glad and sad that i don't have a garage/yard to work in.....mostly glad i think.

realistically speaking - yes......i think it's best that i stick to a makeover only. i'll have to be satisfied with living vicariously through yours (and other's) rebuilding/renovating adventures here
cajabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:25 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Posts: 2,913
pat how are your sheet rock finish skills? I marvel at what those guys can do!! sort of like some of the painting jobs I see on here!!
__________________

k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ventura


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boler reno help needed randyl Modifications, Alterations and Updates 18 05-19-2012 10:09 AM
Hunter Compact - Reno, NV - $4800 Jake Jacobson Classified Archives 2 08-04-2009 08:33 PM
Reno Air Show Time K Camping, Campout Reports 4 05-11-2009 05:43 PM
Reno advice needed randyl Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 12 03-29-2006 08:52 PM
the post reno's pics Legacy Posts Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 10 06-26-2003 07:27 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
×