Vinyl Flooring help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2007, 07:36 AM   #1

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 4500
We are putting a sheet of vinyl flooring in our trailer and are wondering what to do with the little step to the dinette area?
Do we cover it, too? Just seems that it might be a bit bulky. Or do we cut the sheet so we have 2 peices? Then what do we do with that vertical area? Leave it as is?

Thanks!
Nicole M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:11 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Hi Nicole,

I don't have a good answer to your question, however, have you thought of having carpet on the vertical rise and area under the dinette/bed? We left our original carpet and just put new flooring on the main section of our Casita, and are really happy with it.

Jeanne

Click image for larger version

Name:	casitafloor1.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	7419
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:27 AM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Our Trillium has custom bound grey carpet pieces for both areas, the main floor and the area under the bed/table. We had originally made the under table piece long enough to fold over (and cover) the "toe stubber" but soon found that without more carpet surgery, this was not a viable way to go for us. Wanting to keep the carpet removeable for ease of cleaning, we ended up cutting that overhanging piece of carpet off, leaving the raised kickplate exposed. I presume one could cover this area with almost any material, from a nice piece of wood to a highly polished piece of stainless steel.

For now, at least, we are just going to keep ours painted to match the other expossed glass parts of the trailer. I know its only going to get scuffed and abused anyway, but what the heck......???
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 10:01 AM   #4

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I'm right in the middle of the flooring and just was working on that section last night. I am using the new vinyl wood laminate at Home Depot. Really awesome product for RV applications and a breeze to install. If you haven't totally committed to the vinyl sheet you might want to take a look at this product.

Attached I'm using an aluminum "L" to trim out the riser section and I have another aluminum "L" for the bottom of the riser. This matches the new aluminum columns I'm using for the table. You can pick up the "L" at any hardware store and cut to fit.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 02:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
The previous owner of our 99 Scamp had the factory install vinyl flooring before it was an option, and they used the same riser and edging method as Greg. We have owned the trailer six years and the flooring has held up well. The perimeter is caulked with the same weird caulking that was used on the rest of the trailer and that may have to be redone soon. Some kind of molding might look better.

Vivian
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote