Voltage on TOW Connector - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2014, 02:57 PM   #41

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
The fuse was my first suspicion. Always check the easiest first. 30 amp is good. I have blown mine when "Hot Swapping" (Plugging in the tow with engine running) before. Yeah, I know. It ain't the best practice ....

I see great value in charging from the pigtail. Here is a thread from "Long Ago" where I did exactly as you want. It was quick, simple and easy. And a good place to "park" the connector.

You can use any box you want, I just used this one because it easily mounted to the frame, as it was designed to do.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-38147.html
Thanks. One of my next projects.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:23 PM   #42

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Would that be the winter after you watched me try to fry my connectors?
I enjoyed helping you and I remember the wires glowed like the inside of a toaster! Well, that's a little much but I do know you let a little smoke out of the system.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:01 PM   #43

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
30 amp fuse is OK as long as they ran #10 wire. If they ran something small such as #14 or even #16, the wire will melt before the fuse blows, at least with small overloads.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:39 PM   #44

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
I'm telling you people, there are dumb questions and dumb people. And I'm going to keep at it until I convince you.

The reason the battery tester always read 13.88 was because that's what they printed on the clear plastic that covered the led readout. Actually they printed 13.68, but when plugged in it appeared as 13.88. Now that the plastic is off, it works fine.

Not much I can say in defense except I often leave the plastic on devices and they have always been blank. Dumb idea to print 13.68 on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I plug this in the 12 v outlet in the trailer and it always reads 13.88.

When I plug it into the cigarette lighter in my car it seems to work properly, so I think it is working OK.

Any ideas why it would always read 13.88? The biggest fluctuation I have seen is .01 v, but it goes right back to 13.88.

INNOVA 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #45

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Lol!!!!!!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote