Wall Attachments and Mounts - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2022, 10:40 AM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13 foot
California
Wall Attachments and Mounts

Hi, my name is Jim E B. I have a Scamp 13’ trailer and need to install and mount a new Convertor/Battery Charger weighing about 5 pounds.
What attachment method should I use to install the unit under the sink and attach it to an exterior wall? Is there plywood backing?
Thank you in advance.
Jim E B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 10:54 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Why does it need to be mounted to the wall? Why not the floor? And NO, there isn't ANY wood in the exterior 'walls' of a Scamp. Scamps are built like fiberglass boats.

If it came with a converter, where was/is it mounted?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 02:04 PM   #3

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13 foot
California
Donna D.
Thank you for your response. The Scamp did not come with a converter/battery charger.
The floor is certainly an option however I see that the electrical breakers, ground buss etc. are located in a box that appears to be attached to the outside wall.
Jim E B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 02:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim E B View Post
Donna D.
Thank you for your response. The Scamp did not come with a converter/battery charger.
The floor is certainly an option however I see that the electrical breakers, ground buss etc. are located in a box that appears to be attached to the outside wall.
No they're probably 'hanging' from the cabinetry. Really check it out. Honestly you don't want to be punching holes through the exterior fiberglass if it's not absolutely necessary.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 06:15 PM   #5

Name: Diane
Trailer: Scamp 13’
Wisconsin
The converter/charger in my 2020 13’ Scamp came attached to the floor in the storage space under the driver side rear bench.
sunnyone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 12:35 AM   #6

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim E B View Post
Donna D.
Post up a pic of the electrical box so we can see what brand it is.

Charles
Old 12-03-2022, 08:53 AM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
I might caution against an electrical device with high power voltage ac and dc connections under an area that could leak. I might suggest you contact Scamp for advice.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 08:54 PM   #8

Name: Catya
Trailer: Scamp
WI
I'm going to install an upgraded charger/converter and its installation requirements is that it be posted vertically. My plan is to bolt it on a piece of plywood (with T bolts) and maybe attach a bit of a foot, (so it looks like an L), then use 3M 4200 (4200 is possible, but not easy to remove) to attach the plywood to the interior fiberglass wall of the bench box.
What you do should depend on your charger's installation requirements. If there's not enough airflow--or it gets hot, you can put a little DC fan and maybe a vent. I'm going to see if there's enough clearance in the port side bench--so it will be easier to connect it to the breaker. I hope any of that info is useful to you... Good luck with it! Mine is a Mastervolt 3 stage power charger with a battery temperature sensor, that I'll have to run.
Catya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 10:07 AM   #9

Name: rj
Trailer: Owner of a 16' fixer Scamp and fixed up 13'
Colorado
I fiberglassed a chunk of wood to my Wall as to get rid of rivet holes. then screwed into that for the breaker and outlet that was originally in the scamp.
https://youtu.be/fa2r8cr4QW8?t=492
Skip to 8:12 if the link to that time does not work: to miss the irrelevant mumblings.

Course I since learned to "sand" to bare fiberglass and not just, cut scrape away glue and clean the wall for perfect adhesion, but it has not even remotely budged from the spot I put it.

Now, my converter and Solar Charger I put on the other cabinet walls.
funkgun is offline   Reply With Quote