Wanting a new countertop - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2007, 11:37 AM   #1

Trailer: 73 Boler 13 ft
Our 74 Boler, 13 ft. still has the original countertop. It is in rough shape, and has a 1 inch hole, I guess where there used to be a support for something above. I was thinking I'd buy a peice of Arborite and contact cement it on top. But the back looks a bit tricky, as there is a 2 inch high lip at the back of the fibreglass countertop. That will be in the way. I was also thinking I might run the arborite up the back to the top cupboard too, as the ensolite must be a pain to keep clean behind the stovetop. Looks like lots of folks have installed new countertops and backsplashes, so looking for ideas. Thanks
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:55 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1700SGH (Stage II twoftitis)
Use a 1inch hole saw to cut out a 1 inch diameter circle, stick it in the hole, fiberglass it in. sand flush. Use some glazing compound or bondo to flatten it out perfectly (and any other damage); then paint the whole thing with Interlux Brightside and you have a beautiful top again.
Herb P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Maybe put a teeeny flowerpot in it... Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:49 PM   #4

I never thought of painting the countertop. Didn't thing it would be near as durable as arborite. Where are people finding this Interlux paint? Do we have a Canadian chain that carries it? Thanks!
Old 06-19-2007, 04:58 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The paint commonly used for countertops has been "melamine" (a term used in this context apparently only in Canada); it's tough, but not even close to the original plastic surface (I tried it temporarily in my home kitchen).

Interlux users swear by the stuff, although usually for painting the outside of the trailer; it must be available in Canada (since Herb's in Alberta), and I would try a boat supply store (it's marine paint). I don't know how well it works - I hate painting and have done none on my Boler.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 06:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 2003 Casita Liberty Deluxe
I purchased a piece of Corian off E-bay. Cut it to size, routered the edge and cut out the holes for a new sink and the stove. Glued it to the existing countertop covering any holes that I didn't need. It was easy.
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 06:51 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Back splashes? Let's see, I've seen either first hand or pics of:
diamond plate
linoleum
wood
tin ceiling material
tile (ceramic and plastic)
plexiglass (colored?)
and thick mylar plastic

I suppose it would depend upon any theme you may have going, how much you want to spend or talent of the installer. The important thing to remember about an egg shaped trailer is that whatever you use has to be able to bend...maybe slightly, but the wall certainly isn't flat.

Can't wait to see what you come up with
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:15 AM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Our 74 Boler, 13 ft. still has the original countertop. It is in rough shape, and has a 1 inch hole, I guess where there used to be a support for something above. I was thinking I'd buy a peice of Arborite and contact cement it on top. But the back looks a bit tricky, as there is a 2 inch high lip at the back of the fibreglass countertop. That will be in the way. I was also thinking I might run the arborite up the back to the top cupboard too, as the ensolite must be a pain to keep clean behind the stovetop. Looks like lots of folks have installed new countertops and backsplashes, so looking for ideas. Thanks
Just an offside comment. That 1" hole may have been where the electrical wires ran up a chromed tube to the upper cabinet.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:00 AM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1700SGH (Stage II twoftitis)
Quote:
Interlux users swear by the stuff, although usually for painting the outside of the trailer; it must be available in Canada (since Herb's in Alberta), and I would try a boat supply store (it's marine paint). I don't know how well it works - I hate painting and have done none on my Boler.
When I did our 1300, I gutted the inside and painted the whole thing with Interlux Brightside white. Insulation, cabinets, everything... The counter top came out nice and glossy. It held up pretty well over 5 or so years...

Any marine store will carry or can get Interlux. Canadian tire used to carry it but I don't know if they still do.
Herb P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:01 PM   #10

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Hi Chris, yes, that Corian does a real slick coverup.....very nice! ....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:23 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
We added a new wood countertop over the original fibreglass, and then ran the electrical wires up through a section of metal conduit inside a hollow section of bamboo.

Steve

Click image for larger version

Name:	Casita_CounterB.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	8390
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:34 PM   #12

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Is that faux painting on the walls?
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:39 AM   #13

Trailer: Boler 17 ft 1977 / 04 Explorer Sport Trac
I did some thing similar to Steve's with a piece of plywood and arborite on the top of counter.
Raymond Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 06:35 AM   #14

Wow, Raymond, that is beautiful! Did you add this all over top of the existing fibreglass top? If I take the propane stovetop up, is there an easy way to disconnect the propane line to give me room to work, and drop the new countertop down? Thanks!
I was also wondering about an extension on the countertop to the right, so it would be over the front bunk of the boler 13, perhaps hinged to fold down, but able to flip up, level with the work counter when we need extra surface area. Sorta like a table, with a fold-down leaf. I wonder if anyone has added something like that?
Old 06-22-2007, 07:02 AM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Is that faux painting on the walls?
No, it's the original shag carpeting.

Jeanne
Old 06-22-2007, 08:50 AM   #16

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Jeanne,

Looks really cool with the counter and cabinets...
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:19 AM   #17

Registry
Thanks Greg!

Jeanne
Old 01-17-2008, 11:36 PM   #18

Trailer: Boler
Quote:
I purchased a piece of Corian off E-bay. Cut it to size, routered the edge and cut out the holes for a new sink and the stove. Glued it to the existing countertop covering any holes that I didn't need. It was easy.

Hi Chris
We love your idea but the prices we are getting for corian are ridiculous. Where on ebay did you source yours? Sheila J
Sheila J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:16 PM   #19

Trailer: 2003 Casita Liberty Deluxe
Sheila - It was some time ago that I did the countertop. I think that I purchased it from these guys, but I don't remember: http://solidsurface.com/surplus/

It wasn't cheap, but it will last forever. You might try locating a countertop fabricating shop near you. They might have scraps.
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote