Water tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2014, 03:24 PM   #1

Name: Russ & Vivian
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
Water tank

I needed to replace the rear water fill cap, problem was Scamp did not allow enough room for big hands to get in behind the holding tank, so I took out the tank and discovered all the hoses were filthy inside, so tomorrow off to the hardware store to buy replacements. It had a small in line water filter that looked ok, should I replace it and add something bigger and better?
Shadow56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Russ
I don't know if you have figured it out yet, but the easiest way to replace the hose and water fill is to remove the seat bench. It makes the job a lot easier in the long run.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:05 PM   #3

Pennsylvania
I thought that over and decided to just remove the tank through the bench lid, actually it was quite simple, it wouldn't have been if the fill cover was still attached.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:19 AM   #4

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
The filter you're talking about is probably the strainer for your pump.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow56 View Post
I thought that over and decided to just remove the tank through the bench lid, actually it was quite simple, it wouldn't have been if the fill cover was still attached.
So how are you going to put it all back in with the new fill cover correctly/securely attached without pulling the back bench out? As Eddie mentioned its pretty easy to remove - I had no problems doing it on my own. Could be a real time saver. I recall trying to fix a tail light wiring issue in the rear hatch without removing the rear bench once - took hours to get it right and I ended up with bruises all over my arms and thighs from pressing up against the fiberglass opening in the hatch trying to stick my body far enough into the hatch in order to reach the wiring. LOL I took the hatch out when it came to doing the other side and was slapping myself over and over as to why I hadn't done that on the first one!

If its the pump filter you are asking about and its still in good shape no reason not to clean it off and reuse.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:54 AM   #6

Pennsylvania
Well I bought some really flexible hose, and I will move the tank back towards the sink just enough to be able to get my hands and a nut wrench in there, and before I secure the tank to the floor I'll attach the hose to the fill cap,slide it in and attach it to the tank, there is enough room, just had to buy the drain and water line a little longer, maybe 3in. I will have to plug the old and drill a new drain hole in the floor. Just waiting for the RV place to get in a new shut off for the drain line, hardware didn't have them.
The pump filter is in good shape, I guess what I meant was should I bother to put a regular water filter in, and I'm thinking I should.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #7

Name: Tim
Trailer: Aliner folding & Weekend Warrior toy hauler
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow56 View Post
Well I bought some really flexible hose....
I hope it is approved for potable water use.
1998 Ford E150 pulling a 2006 Weekend Warrior toy hauler = 8 MPG
beemerphile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:00 AM   #8

Kansas
I put a water filter in mine, just for peace of mind.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:01 AM   #9

Kansas
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1398232909.256161.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	70149
Old 04-23-2014, 03:44 AM   #10

Pennsylvania
Yes I decided to do the same Jared, thanks for the picture, payday I'll be picking one up.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:40 AM   #11

Pennsylvania
Replaced all the fittings, hoses and valves, tested it and no leaks, putting it back in today. Need to have it ready for this weekend.