We got one! Interior walls question. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #1

Name: Stasia
Trailer: In the Market!
Hawaii
We got one! Interior walls question.

We finally got our pacer! 1986, lovely condition. So excited, she really is a beauty already, although we have a bit of interior work to do. Attached is a picture

My main question is, after you take out the carpet/insulation on the interior walls, what can you replace it with? It is just raw fiberglass on the underside. We really want a hard, wipe-able surface (as close as we can get to the surface of the sink/stove compartment housing). Is this possible, and how?

if not, what are our other hard-surface options? sand/paint & polyurethane? Some sort of vinyl? I have NO idea. Basically if our kid decides to decorate the walls with food, we want to be able to take a sponge and wipe it off. Carpet walls aren't an option.

any help would be great! Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG3122.JPG  
stashie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:39 PM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Sorry I can't answer your question about the wall covering (I like the carpet) but just wanted to tell you that is really a nice looking trailer! Nice graphics, and wire wheel covers. The bumper looks like it belongs there too. Thanks for the picture. Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:30 PM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
You should be able to use marine headliner aka "rat fur"over reflectix insulation like Scamp uses, as it doesn't stain easily & can be cleaned. You could also use ensolite (aka elephant hide), a white rubberized material that Scamp used to use as wall covering. Do a search from the tab on the top of the page and you will find postings as to where to purchase.
Good Luck
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:50 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If you have carpet and it's already in good shape, use the trailer until you feel it needs to come off and be replaced. "Don't fix it, if it ain't broke." Yes, you can replace with ensolite or go with bare walls. Ensolite is expensive, takes a lot of time to put up and a ton of work. No way, I'd attempt it. Look at those inside curves. Those are a bear to smooth out. One member here, replaced with ensolite in a Trillium Sportsman and it cost him around $1,500. AND, did the work himself.

What you have in in the trailer provides condensation protection, insulation and is a noise barrier. Having nothing on the walls, you lose that. When it rains, it's like having your head in a bucket. Ping, ping, plunk!

Best of luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:41 PM   #5

Name: Stasia
Trailer: In the Market!
Hawaii
sounds like ensolite might not be the call then? $1500 is definitely too expensive for our project. What else would work? The carpet is already torn out, we really weren't into it and want something more sanitary/easily cleanable. we live in HI, so it's hot, humid and often wet. Things mold & fast, so gotta keep that in mind too.

I am not turned off by difficulty, we're prepared to run into challenges with the curves on this thing, but cost is most definitely an issue. we're looking at paint options or some type of vinyl/foam. No rat fur. Need some new school ideas here, for someone who knows materials/paint. It's just raw fiberglass right now with leftover glue from the old carpet.

I'm looking at foam backed marine vinyl at this point...yes, no, other thoughts?
stashie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:47 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Since you live in Hawaii and no temperature issues I would probably use a spray in bed liner like Rhino line or do it yourself Rapture liner. Some of these are tint-able and can be sprayed smooth or really rough. I really , really want to move to Hawaii and take my Scamp with me. Must be pretty rare over there.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:10 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
"Rat fur" is a long-napped version of marine hull liner. There are short-napped versions, and since it's made for boats, it's meant for warm, wet environments. It's mold and mildew-resistant and surprisingly cleanable. Because it stretches, it's easier to install on the compound curves of an egg. I really think it's your best option. I realize cold-weather insulation is not an issue, but warm weather is, and even more important is sound deadening (which is why I would vote against the spray-in bed liner).

If you're still dead set against any kind of soft surface, the foam-backed marine vinyl you mentioned sounds possible, though I'm not sure exactly what it is. Could you post a link?

I believe Escape trailers use some kind of vinyl-surfaced lining. Wonder if any Escape owners could elaborate?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:37 PM   #8

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
If your carpet is in good shape I would leave it.
If you use some sort of hard finish without insulation you may have more condensation in cool weather than you counted on.
I gutted and rebuilt a Lil Bigfoot several years ago.
The fabric liner was all coming off the foam insulation.
I removed it all, bought the Rat Fur from Scamp, because the don't have a distributor on the West Coast, and had it installed by an upholster shop.
Total cost was about $800.00 dollars.
If money's no object go for it.

John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perris pacer