Weather Clock - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2009, 12:02 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Lynne and I decided we wanted one of those clocks that tell you what the weather conditions are and the date and time, something we could see from the dinette area of our fiver.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WeatherClock__4_.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	18210

I bought an Oregon Scientific Atomic Clock and Weather Station, cut the "foot" off the back, and built a two piece oak case so it'll look nice on our kitchen wall.

Name:	WeatherClock__2_.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	18214

The two-piece case has little grooves on the inside edges that tabs around the edges of the clock slide into so we can pull the clock out of its frame to replace the batteries or access the buttons that adjust the time and other clock features. One side of the case is glued to the clock with epoxy, and strong magnets hold the clock tight in the frame when you slide it place.

Name:	WeatherClock__0_.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	18212

The clock displays both inside and outside temperatures, and came with a remote temperature sending unit, which I attached to the the frame under the loft where I hope it will stay clean and dry. The remote sensor is held in place by both double-sided foam tape and a tightly wrapped zip-tie. The foam tape attaches the battery compartment door to the frame of the trailer, so to get the sensor off you have to remove the zip-tie and slide it off the battery door.

Name:	WeatherClock__3_.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	18215
Attached Thumbnails
WeatherClock__5_.JPG   WeatherClock__1_.JPG  

peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:08 AM   #2

Trailer: 25 ft Bigfoot (25B25RQ)
Peter,
You really do nice work, looks great. I bet Lynne thinks you hung the moon and the clock/weather station. Always a good feeling to add a little extra personal touch to the project.
I enjoy doing stuff to my RV, sometimes I write on paper a project so I can ponder on it for a while and give it my best shot. I made a note of your idea for my rig.
You will enjoy the weather station. If it is like mine, it has an accurate clock and it might even change the time for the daylight savings twice a year. It is also nice to know what day of the week and what the temp is outside.
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:26 AM   #3

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Am going to do the same myself, but just a inside/outside temp gauge.

Is that a spice rack? holy schmoly....you guys are living the life.
Dan Vang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:58 AM   #4

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
that looks awesome.... you guys have done soooo much to your trailer... its amazing what you have done!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:18 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot

Thanks for sharing, Peter. I always get excited to see what changes or improvements you have done. Your Scamp 5th wheel is the coziest and most innovative! Thanks for the details about how you installed the weather clock.
Charlene Urso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape ('Suite Escape')
Registry
Very nice work. Oregon Scientific is a leader in the field. Is there a light in this particular model? Even if not, it makes a valuable addition. Is the sensor affixed by anything other than a cable tie?
Sandra L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:11 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Thanks all for the compliments.

John H:

Yea, this is one of the Oregon Scientific atomic clock units, so it'll change automatically with daylight savings time, and it has weather trends . . . so hopefully Lynne and I will be able to anticipate the weather.

Oh, and Lynne doesn't think I hung the moon. Just that it's my job to fix it if it ever goes out.

Dan Vang:

Yup, it's a spice rack. Here is the topic about how it is made (and a related oddball story I wrote):
New Magnetic Spice Rack (How-To & "Power of Magnetic Healing):
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=26725
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=26794

Sandra L:

Oh, right. I should have mentioned that in my first post. The remote sensor is held in place by both double-sided foam tape and a tightly wrapped zip-tie. The foam tape attaches the battery compartment door to the frame of the trailer, so to get the sensor off you have to remove the zip-tie and slide it off the battery door. (Now I'll go back and edit my post, too.)

No back light on this unit . . . all the back-lit units seem to require a 110v plug, something our solar-powered electrics don't provide, but our LED trailer lighting keeps the inside very well lit so that's not a problem.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape ('Suite Escape')
Registry
Very Clever! Thanks for the information. I'm looking at something similar and trying to figure out the placement. (I will be getting an Escape).
Sandra L is offline   Reply With Quote