Weight bearing roof on a 13'? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2010, 12:06 AM   #1

Trailer: 1980 Perris Pacer
I'm wondering if anyone has added racks for storage on the roof of their 13' egg. I just bought a 1980 Perris Pacer tonight...wooo hooo! I'd love to be able to store some things on the roof. I realize it couldn't handle a lot of weight and would have to be careful about balancing the load, etc. But would love to hear from anyone who has made such a modification or knows of anyone who has.

Charlene
CharleneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:20 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Charlene, Congrats! You know you now have to post some pic's of your new purchase! Personally I wouldn't put weight on the roof of any rv. But that is my personal experience and opinion. Oh sure there will be others who say go for it, but as I said I wouldn't. I don't believe your Perris Pacer is structurally sound for adding weight up there and would have to be reinforced before doing so.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:07 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Scamps built before the fire needed to be ordered specifically for roof A/C... additional supports were added during the build. (Now all Scamps are built that way). But, I really don't know about the Perris Pacer. Is it possible these were built the same way...needed to be ordered that way?

Are you planning to carry a ladder? How will you get stuff up on top and get it down? I think in theory it sounds good, but in reality it would be a PITA.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:16 AM   #4

Trailer: 1984 Perris Pacer ('Tillie')
Welcome to the Pacer family! I know in my Tillie seems to have a double layer on the center part of the roof, but I would not feel comfortable putting anything up there.
And I'm with the others...we need pics!!
Vicki
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:27 AM   #5

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Charlene,

Never works out well, not even for the a/c with reinforced roofs, keep it sacred territory...Might you consider a rear bumper type box or a tongue box in the future...Space is a premium this I get, that roof though should be hallowed ground.

I cannot tell you the number of times the roof is an issue in a repair when its utilized, the new models like Donna says are reinforced, but even that is for the warranty period and then they are issues too...

Just my opinion, it comes from watching the vein stick out on a customers neck in frustration about many roofs leaks...You got a trailer that does not leak? On a trailer that old? That's the miracle of fiberglass, do not tempt the resin gremlins.

Happy Camping, Safe Trails.

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:06 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
I concur with the group...

Now that I have my own '82 PP stripped down for renovation, I can clearly see that the roof does NOT have the integrity to hold any weight.

As Vicki A suggests, there is double thick fiberglass on the roof, but only in the center section (above the inside decorative wood roof panel). It becomes single layer again where the mold does a couple turns down toward the sides. It is here that the roof is weakest, and any additional weight could cause undue stress and possible flex.

Harry is always full of good ideas, but because the stock PPs sit so low to the ground, as well as the frame configuration, a rear storage box won't work. But, something custom up front sounds like a winner.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I'm wondering if anyone has added racks for storage on the roof of their 13' egg. I just bought a 1980 Perris Pacer tonight...wooo hooo! I'd love to be able to store some things on the roof. I realize it couldn't handle a lot of weight and would have to be careful about balancing the load, etc. But would love to hear from anyone who has made such a modification or knows of anyone who has.

Charlene
A simple light duty rack[good enough for canoes, kayaks, etc.] could be constructed from black iron pipe attached to the frame on four corners without contact to the roof,with perhaps just a couple of non weight bearing points for stabilization.
Regards; Floyd
BTW; Contrary to Harry's observations, the roof accessories[A/C,antenna,and fantastic fan] have "work out well" for my pre-fire 13. It must be said, however, that most really early fiberglass trailers are too thin for much of anything in the form of accessories. Weight bearing is just silly for cargo since the roof on many 20+ year old fiberglass trailers flex like a soft-shelled turtle under the slightest application of weight.
Bear in mind that most roof racks on SUVs are only rated for 100lbs "evenly distributed".
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Perris Pacer
Well, I guess that answers that.

I guess the idea of drilling holes in an otherwise good condition egg would probably not be the smartest thing to do. We briefly discussed a rear mounted rack, but Robert is right about the clearance. It would stick out too far and probably drag over even the slightest dips. I do like Floyd's idea but you would need someone with some really strong welding and fabrication skills to pull it off and make it look right. Maybe a camper shell for the truck is in the future?

I'm so glad for you guys. You're going to love that camper. I've gotta tell you though it made me a little sad to be following "my" camper down the road, attached to your truck!
Angelo F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:41 PM   #9

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
Well, I guess that answers that.

I guess the idea of drilling holes in an otherwise good condition egg would probably not be the smartest thing to do.
I don't know; I don't think there's anything wrong with drilling holes in fiberglass, when there's a purpose to it. You just need to bed the fasteners/bracket/vent (or whatever) well. And there's not much easier than filling in a hole in fiberglass, in the maintenance world, if you change your mind.

That said, I wouldn't put anything on the roof of an egg beyond a vent or maybe a solar panel, myself. But more because of the load/wind-resistance/center of mass considerations than because of drilling a hole.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:24 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Unhappy

Hasn't there been cases of roofs collapsing under snow load?

IMHO cargo would do even more damage because of the weight being there while traveling.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:29 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Hasn't there been cases of roofs collapsing under snow load?

IMHO cargo would do even more damage because of the weight being there while traveling.
Ummmmmm, yea there has been several around here on the forums, where there is snow load damage! Good memory Roger! I forgot about those examples.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:11 AM   #12

Trailer: 1980 Perris Pacer
Okay, consensus says, "don't add any load to the roof!" We are a family of 4 so we do need to find more storage...I'll look into the idea of adding something to front.

Angelo- As we drove away, my son saw you watching us turn the other direction with a bit of sadness in your face. He commented that he understood why you would be sad, since he was so happy and would be sad to lose "Eggbert," also.

I took a bunch of photos and can't locate the cable to download them..DOH! I'll post some soon.

charlene
CharleneM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weighing, weight